Starting Keto.. any tips/critiques for my plan?

Options
13»

Replies

• Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    ok so i went on a date today and we decided to get dimsum... i am not sure (how can i tell?) if i got knocked out of keto or not from that meal... I had:
    1 shumai
    1 seafood shumai
    few pork belly with bok choy (there is sauce on it so probably carbs...)
    1 duck eggroll
    2 pieces of fried calamari - i tried my best to take the crumb part out...
    2 small (shumai size) pork bun and i ate only the pork filling...
  • Shaselai
    Options
    Ok so i might bump up my cal to officially 1300... I feel i have been eating around there this past week with extra meat as the 200... I find my LBM is 160ish so my protein should be 80 and i think i will hit that with 1300 since right now with 1100 i am eating low 70s.... Other than that I really dont feel any negative side effects or anything maybe because i was more or less going on low carb prior to keto so the change is not as drastic? I did take a look and the past month i lost 20lbs (prob all water...) and my fitbit cal burn is about 3400/day. I did some rough math:
    (3400 - 1200) *30/3500 = 19 lbs or so.... so that means the plan is somewhat accurate? i have to admit there were a few "cheat days" where i overloaded with fat/protein (trying to fix the habit...)... i am trying to shoot same result this month...
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    On keto you shouldnt take too many carbs even if weight training. You should up the protein intake (Supplement with whey protein and take creatine to help build muscle) In fact I would change your workout routine to include more weight training then cardio. Building muscle burns more then cardio throughout the day. I've been on keto for 4 months. Burned off 22 lbs and built a lot of lean muscle. I now do cyclical keto diet where I carb up once a week to maintain my goal weight and muscle. My macros when doing straight keto is 5 carbs 65 protein, and 35 fat. Weight train 45 mintues 5 days a week. Do 15-20 minute cardio session 3-4 times a week. I'm fairly active as well as I coach football and Im out on field all the time with kids. As for pre workout if you feel you need the energy I have used NO Explode and my new favorite is MP Assault. Pre workout energy drinks.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Ok so i might bump up my cal to officially 1300... I feel i have been eating around there this past week with extra meat as the 200... I find my LBM is 160ish so my protein should be 80 and i think i will hit that with 1300 since right now with 1100 i am eating low 70s....

Your protein is still too low. You should be eating 0.6g/lb of lean body mass. That would be a minimum goal of 96g/day. And you can go as high as 160g/day. Don't be afraid of too much protein.
    Other than that I really dont feel any negative side effects or anything maybe because i was more or less going on low carb prior to keto so the change is not as drastic? I did take a look and the past month i lost 20lbs (prob all water...) and my fitbit cal burn is about 3400/day. I did some rough math:
    (3400 - 1200) *30/3500 = 19 lbs or so.... so that means the plan is somewhat accurate? i have to admit there were a few "cheat days" where i overloaded with fat/protein (trying to fix the habit...)... i am trying to shoot same result this month...

This rate of loss is not sustainable long-term. Honestly, you'll lose plenty of weight at 2,000 calories a day and be a lot happier. This is not a race.
  • Shaselai
    Options
    Figure I will use this as a semi update thread instead of
    So i started Keto almost exactly 8 weeks ago and has lost exactly 30lbs. I guess it is normal or maybe less since initially it is water weight. I have noticed recently my loss has been more or less consistent around 3 lbs - does this indicate that i have reached the point where i am losing real weight/fat and not water weight? I KNOW for a fact that my belly down because i can wear 4 holes(not sure the tecnical terms here...) on my belt than when i started and am on the last hole on my belt without struggling on my stomach.

I know it is looking promising but i am curious if there's any way to speed this up or this is what i will be expecting for the weeks to come? Anything i can change at this point?

I know one pitfall i have had recently is knowing back of my head i have a little leeway on my calories so sometimes i eat up a bit but never with carbs and always within 200 cals (maybe extra hamburger pattie or nuts or something). As of now i have not had any bad symptoms from the diet but i did slightly tweak my knee last week but after a heat pad or two it is all good - which also attributed to my decreased activity last week as well...

Some things i am still trying to change and would like recommendations:
    1. get out of soda completely. For lunch i drink Guarana Zero (if you havent.... TRY IT!!!). It is carbonated water so unless sparkling i count it as "soda". I am trying to cut it out after i finish the last few bottles...
    2. Workout drink? From my calories plan i do have enough protein and fat (from the Rosedale calculation) so it's not like i NEED an PWO drink but if it helps muscle mass maybe i will consider it...
    3. Drink Bai5? I have a sweettooth for juice type of drinks and had Bai5 the other day and it tasted very good. I noticed it has Erytol and google it briefly and i didn't find a lot of keto related info but one article said the sugar substitute seems to be safe... Any tips because IF Erytol counds as carbs it is whopping 8g!!!
    4. More water? I am not sure if i have enough water/liquid - i drink maybe 3-4 cups of tea and a can of diet soda during work. Workout i drink 16oz(2 cups?) of vitamin zero type of drink and at home i probably get 2-3 more cups of tea in. I dont feel jitters from the caffeine...
    5. CLEAN OUT FREEZER - this is more a personal food thing. I just live by myself and it seems whenever i go to costco i buy different package of meat to try so now in my freezer i have enough protein to cover for 2 months of food if i just buy veggies from now on...... the stuff's all tasty but i need some good rotation haha...
    6. Interim Fasting? I read briefly on it and am slightly intrigued.... Wonder anyone here tried it and if it helps speed up weight loss? I figure the time for my fast would be from dinner to lunch since i never really ate breakfast prior to keto...
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm starting LCHF on Monday I went to Costco and got all the right foods I need to do it. Can't wait for the weight to come off. I'm here 767 days now and only lost 35lbs. I'm ready!!!!!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump for information. Thanks to everyone who posted, it's very informative reading for a low carb newbie!
  • Shaselai
    Options
    cool. if anyone have any newbie questions i can try to help since i was one (maybe still am!)... i have been on it for 3 months now.