Protein Powder in Smoothies

During one of my initial consultations with my diabetes educator, she mentioned that any time I was having fruit, I should try to have it with some protein. She told me that doing this will sort of draw out the release of the glucose, which would help me avoid getting a massive spike/drop after eating the fruit.

I bought a bunch of frozen fruit/berries this weekend and was thinking about making some smoothies with them for breakfasts. I hate eating first thing in the morning, but need to take my Metformin, so I need to have something.

I am wondering about adding protein powder to the smoothies to give me that extra protein boost, to try to keep the glucose release fairly steady. Most of them seem to be low or no carb.

Does anyone else use them in this way?

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    I will often eat some yogurt or cheese with some berries for that reason. But I need to keep the fruit quantity pretty low as it will spike my BG no matter what I eat it with. I used to juice but have pretty much given it up. I found I much prefer to eat the food than to grind it up.

Test your plan yourself by testing BG before you eat then 1-2 hours after to see the effect it has. If something spikes me over 140, I try to avoid it or change the portion size so it doesn't.
  • You can make smoothies with cottage cheese, silken tofu, or plain Greek yogurt that all contain protein. You can also find whey or soy protein powder in most grocery stores; be sure to read the label because often there is added flavoring which could increase the carbohydrate content. It's easy to end up with a large smoothie, so be sure to measure out one serving of fruit when you make it. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    I make green smoothies for breakfast some time. Frozen or fresh fruit, spinach, kale (1cup each) water or cup of almond milk and 2 scoops of protein powder. Add the protein powder last and blend in slowly or it will foam up. I have a vitamix and add ice too, but I don't want it thick like a milk shake.
  • I am probably more likely to try the greek yogurt than anything else. I was looking at the protein powder as an alternative because I don't like the artificially sweetened yogurts. I find that they give me a bad aftertaste, so I was hoping for something that could add the protein without too much of the sugar.

I will definitely be reading the labels to make sure I don't add more carbs by adding the protein powder. Most of the ones I have seen have little to no carbs. The highest I think I saw was 3g.
  • I make green smoothies for breakfast some time. Frozen or fresh fruit, spinach, kale (1cup each) water or cup of almond milk and 2 scoops of protein powder. Add the protein powder last and blend in slowly or it will foam up. I have a vitamix and add ice too, but I don't want it thick like a milk shake.

Thanks for that advice on when to add it. I don't want a foamy drink. I will be keeping the fruit frozen, so I am hoping that will help. I don't know if I can do the spinach and kale just yet. I am sure it tastes fabulous, but the thought of drinking something green just freaks me out a bit :)
  • I will often eat some yogurt or cheese with some berries for that reason. But I need to keep the fruit quantity pretty low as it will spike my BG no matter what I eat it with. I used to juice but have pretty much given it up. I found I much prefer to eat the food than to grind it up.

Test your plan yourself by testing BG before you eat then 1-2 hours after to see the effect it has. If something spikes me over 140, I try to avoid it or change the portion size so it doesn't.

I try to eat cheese or another protein when I have my other meals, or at least save my fruit until I am eating a full meal with lots of protein, but I am looking for a bit of a quick fix for the mornings. A lot of days I will do cereal and skim milk, making sure it is not a massively high carb cereal, but I am looking for something else that is quick and easy.

I will definitely be testing before and after, just to see what happens. Thanks
  • The green kale smoothie sounds delicious! It's great that you're finding several alternatives for breakfast, and testing your BG is going to help you figure out which ones work the best for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna