When does it get easier??

Options
Flacachica
Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
Hi,
I'm currently on week 7 of C25K. I should probably be done with the C25K program by now, I've repeated so many days/weeks! LOL :huh:

Anyway, I just can't seem to jog a full 20 mins (let alone the 22 - 23 minutes I SHOULD BE doing according to the week/day I'm on). What gives? Is this a mental or physical obstacle? (I seriously feel like I'm gonna die on the treadmill sometimes. Plus I have asthma, so I do get a little wheezy -- but I refuse to use that as an excuse!) It's like those first 5 - 8 minutes aren't that bad, but then I am constantly looking at the clock wondering when this hell will be over! I typically last anywhere from 12 - 17 minutes depending on the day. :wink:

I'm trying not to get discouraged. I have a 5K coming up in June and REALLY want to run the whole thing. Now, looking back, jogging five minutes at a time is much easier than when I started. I could barely do the 90 seconds in the beginning.... so I know I'm making progress. I am just not where I'm "supposed" to be on week 7 day 1 (according to the app I have). Does that make sense?

Wondering if anyone else out there feels the same.

Replies

• newtonk520
    newtonk520 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey friend don't beat yourself up on this! I've been working on the C25K since NewYears..... But who cares. I've made more progress in the last few weeks but still need to take breaks. I'm on week 6 day 3. I figure this program was for someone already reasonably fit before they start. I'm sure your stronger & have more stamina then you did in the beginning.

I can only tell you what I'm doing and it's helping me focus and make this journey easier. That's not to say I haven't had those days when I wanted the hell to be over. I've now started using strength training along with running because I'm finding my legs are weak. Now when I stop it's mostly because my legs are tired. I also found a pre work out and post workout that helps me with my energy level and reduces muscle soreness etc (Amino 1). I think I only just had a breakthrough. Don't give up ....your so close!!
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I am certainly not giving up!! Just feeling sorry for myself and had to rant. :wink:

I am going to continue at my own pace. Because of that I was feeling a little "inadequate" I guess. After all, it's just an app -- a guide -- only I can know my own body/self (as another friend so wisely pointed out). I'm going to continue to push myself, but I won't be running an entire 5K in 8 weeks... that's all. But I will someday! :)
  • newtonk520
    newtonk520 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You will run that 5k and when your done, maybe a 10k! :laugh:
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You can do it. . . just set your mind to it, your mind gives up way before your body does. Commit to that 20 minutes, because your body can handle it!

I totally suffer from boredom too. . . .I get that, but set your mind right, this is something your body can do, once your mind allows you to!

DON'T GIVE UP, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are maybe try running outside. Or I know sometimes when I am stuck on a treadmill I use my towel to cover the screen and play silly tricks on myself like if I want to check I have to wait through the song I am on and the next one. I know some days were easier for me than others and on the tough days I would sometimes slow it down just to make it through the time. You can do it! It is most likely more of a mental hurdle than a physical one!