what are you wearing for shoes?

Options
13»

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've always liked the look of Chucks and would buy some in a New York minute but can't find any cheap ones around here for the time being, so will probably have to go barefoot, or maybe sell my car?
    Sorry, it's Friday and I'm having a helluva ball.

Eh im bored too.

Look online at Zappos or Amazon.
    Typically the cheap ones at Marshalls et al are the weird color combo but meh who cares?
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Also, my knees have been sore since starting lifting. Could my shoes be the problem? Or am I tight and need to stretch better? Or both?

Depends.

What have you been lifting in?
    What have you been doing cardio in?
    What is your cardio of choice?

Where does it hurt?
    All of the time?
    Just during SL5x5?
    Just during squats?
    Just during cardio?

I lift & row/bike in nikes.
    Usually hurts towards the end of the day. Not when i am lifting, though occasionally afterwards.not sure about cardio- i can't remember right now.

Thanks for your help :)

The nikes I have, have a very soft heel.
    My Asics are tougher so the day I squatted in them it was like I had chucks on.

I suggest not lifting in your nikes.
    Make sure youre stretching enough.

What part of the knee hurts?
    Inside? Outside? Bottom?

Its mostly the bottom. Some on the inside and outside. It just all kinda hurts. It did hurt warming up on the bike and squatting today. Probably not helpful lol.

I do not have any other athletic shoes other than my nikes.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    For SL I usually do it barefooted or in socks. I've tried it with Converse low tops and it wasn't too bad either. For workout dvds I'm barefoot and for cardio (outside), I'm in cross trainers.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to go barefoot in your gyms? I don't think we are.....

Anyone tried Keds slip ons? I just found an old pair of mine shoved under the bed, and may give them a whirl Monday.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Anyone tried Keds slip ons? I just found an old pair of mine shoved under the bed, and may give them a whirl Monday.

I haven't worn them in forever because the toe box is too tight for my feet (the bone at the side of my bog toe is prominent).
    But from what I recall, the insole is a bit squishy but besides that itd be like wearing chucks.
    I considered getting the Payless knockoffs to lift in last weekend but ive got 8 pairs of chucks to run through first.

ETA: I did sock footed in a Golds gym (in NH) about a year ago. And ive seen sock footed at my current gym (local CT chain gym). I'd do sockfooted again but not bare foot
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am a wannabe minimalist (& also incredibly cheap)- is there a shoe that I could both lift and run/cardio in? I have high arches.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I am a wannabe minimalist (& also incredibly cheap)- is there a shoe that I could both lift and run/cardio in? I have high arches.

In my opinion, a good well-fitted running shoe makes all the difference for my runs.
    And the drop in a running shoe and/or the cushion that some of them have will affect your squats and deadlifts.

Depending on your running gait and if you pronate or not, you could try Vibrams 5 finger shoes. And lift in those as well
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a wannabe minimalist as well - and $$ isn't an issue for me (as you can tell from pics, I've been in my field for many more years than the rest of you ;) ) Sara - from what I've read, once you invest in the 5-finger and they work for you, you can't break them - they are forever shoes, so it is a one time investment supposedly.

I'm going to try these NB minimus to lift in at the gym (no barefoot there, and I row to warmup/ bootcamp at gym), and will wait on purchasing shoes for my running at the moment. I'm working on my runs right now to increase my speed - so have been doing longer runs at the same relative pace. This week, I'm going to push myself out to run faster, in a more HIIT style, and go back down to 3m for distance to allow me to open up some speed hopefully.

I'm in a drop down in my weights this week, so I think I've got my energy coordinated. Of course... best plans laid and all that stuff..
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of this!

For those of you who wear chucks, do you do cardio the same day & if so, do you change shoes?
    I don't do gym cardio same day as lifting. I have a pair of chucks just for lifting and I have a pair that are my everyday shoes, but the most cardio I do in either pair is walking. I prefer cushioning if I run so I have a pair of Saucony's for that and I have specific cycling shoes that clip into the pedals that I wear for cycling class. :smile:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've always liked the look of Chucks and would buy some in a New York minute but can't find any cheap ones around here for the time being, so will probably have to go barefoot, or maybe sell my car?
    Sorry, it's Friday and I'm having a helluva ball.
    Target and/or Amazon. Got a pair from each place, roughly $30. Still a bit expensive in my mind, though, because when I was a kid they were dirt cheap!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am wearing adidas Noams right now they are flat and cheap-ish cuz I found them at the outlet. It is slightly annoying to change shoes to run if I do running days same as lifting- but its worth it. I cant be a brooks wearing lifter :tongue:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Sorry, I should have mentioned I work out in my basement. I'm not sure how well being barefoot would be in an actual gym lmao
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OK tried the Keds tonite. Just flat bottomed old pair of slip on sneakers I found under the bed. They worked brilliantly! I think I'll jump on the "chucks" bandwagon now.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    OK tried the Keds tonite. Just flat bottomed old pair of slip on sneakers I found under the bed. They worked brilliantly! I think I'll jump on the "chucks" bandwagon now.

Yes!
    One of us, one of us! lol
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Barefeet..I swear gripping with my toes helps me and just cannot grip as well with shoes.Yes even at thegym..I just spray downthe floor and wipe after putting shoes back on.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibram Fivefingers and love them!
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Vibrams after a friend raved about lifting in them. They should arrive today. I can't WAIT to try them! If I hadn't really pushed the limits lifting Friday and Sunday (and a windy run Saturday) I'd be tempted to go try them today!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Glad I came across this because I am hoping to do some cardio after lifting. I have like six pairs of Chucks...so...lol.

I'll bring my running shoes along for the ride.