Vegetables

Options
2»

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Booksandbeach thank you for that recipe it sounds dangerously good!!! I'm going to make it tomorrow for sure :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I discovered a little trick to keep half an avocado from going brown. wet a paper towel & put it on top, molding it to the exposed flesh. put in the fridge. I had one stay perfectly good for 2 days like this. :)

I'm going to have to try this and that recipe!

Looks soooo good!

I LOVE Mayo and Sour Cream (I know how special that sounds, but I do, even full fat Sour Cream is very low cal and low carb for the flavor punch, in my opinion) and I'm trying to squeeze cauliflower (EW!) into my diet because I hear it's good for tightening the skin, which seems to be an issue when you lose a ton of weight in Keto!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Oh, this says cream cheese and sour cream, but still.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    that looks so yummy! do you know how many calories per serving? it looks like a lot..
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    that looks so yummy! do you know how many calories per serving? it looks like a lot..

The blog doesn't list the calories, but the recipe is similar to this low-carb, cauliflower bake at food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/just-like-loaded-baked-potatoes-cauliflower-low-carb-95068) and that recipe has 325 calories per serving and 28 grams of fat per serving. For anyone that doesn't like cream cheese, the food.com uses sourcream and cheese, not cream cheese.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    cool. i deginitely want to try making this this weekend i guess for lunch - instead of bacon i will add sausage for extra protein.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I added more veggies yesterday, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower & had avocado (though technically a fruit) and today I'm down 0.6 lbs which is a lot considering i've been stalled for ages. Looks like I'll be adding move veggies from now on
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I added more veggies yesterday, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower & had avocado (though technically a fruit) and today I'm down 0.6 lbs which is a lot considering i've been stalled for ages. Looks like I'll be adding move veggies from now on

Grats!!! Veggies are a great part of the diet, I'm frnakly not a huge fan of them but I'm getting into the habit of eating a lot just because they're filling and useful for... Um... Well, regularity, let's say. ;-)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I made the cauliflower bake last night. I omitted the cream cheese completely. Just mixed in sour cream, cheese, minced garlic and seasoning. It was so good. My husband (not on keto) had two servings and wanted a third, but we were all out of the cauliflower bake by then. :laugh:
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is so good at being a kind of "filler." It carries other flavor so well! Cauliflower can also be used in a lasagna bake. It can be riced and used in a fried rice kind of dish. It can be cut into chunks and covered in cheese for a cauli mac and cheese. So many ways to use it and none of them have a particular "cauliflower taste" to them.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my vegetables. :) I try to mix it up as much as possible with respect to variety. In addition to all kinds of lettuces (try having some arugula, tomato and parmesan shreds with your roast beef!), I also enjoy scallions, cucumber (technically a fruit), jicama, spaghetti squash, artichokes, eggplant, green beans, cauliflower, celery, bok choy, modest amounts of onion and garlic. I usually add a diced carrot, together with celery and onion, when making a soup. I make a vegetarian vegetable soup and have a serving of it several times a week, together with some protein and fat. I like "greens" (kale, collard, mustard, spinach) but only if they are cooked, like say, with ham hock. ;) Broccoli is okay, but I prefer it cooked.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I cannot do kale at all! it makes me sooooo bloated & uncomfortable, not to mention hard to live with, if you know what I mean, and lettuce repeats on me really bad. Probably why i don't eat a lot of salads.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my vegetables. :) I try to mix it up as much as possible with respect to variety. In addition to all kinds of lettuces (try having some arugula, tomato and parmesan shreds with your roast beef!), I also enjoy scallions, cucumber (technically a fruit), jicama, spaghetti squash, artichokes, eggplant, green beans, cauliflower, celery, bok choy, modest amounts of onion and garlic. I usually add a diced carrot, together with celery and onion, when making a soup. I make a vegetarian vegetable soup and have a serving of it several times a week, together with some protein and fat. I like "greens" (kale, collard, mustard, spinach) but only if they are cooked, like say, with ham hock. ;) Broccoli is okay, but I prefer it cooked.

I don't know if you can get it there, but if you haven't tried komatsuna give it a shot. It's kind of like spinach but without the bitterness.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wondered if I'd now tried everything and hoped I hadn't as new discoveries and recipes are great. Today I tried celeriac for the first time .... fantastic! Very different carb counts but I went for the count on the label (Tesco celeriac) Trimmed it weighed just under 800grams. I boiled and mashed half .. delicious, and I sliced the other half making french fries .. no par boiling, just coating in 2T garlic olive oil and 1T balsamic dipping oil and cooked in oven at around 190/ 370? for around 30 mins. They were not crispy but had a better flavour than plain french fries and not like celery! So my husband and I had approx 190g each today (6g carbs I think) and will eat the mash tomorrow. He loved them too! I think mash will always be celeriac now instead of cauli. I need veg if its only to put the butter on to get my fats up!
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am in love with spinach, broccoli and Mushrooms. I haven't diverged out much from that yet. However, I miss my Brussel sprouts.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are fine, low in carbs. I have them at least once a week.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    We have a basic stir-fry of onions, peppers, cabbage, bean sprouts or other greens just about every day -- my hubby does the cooking and he likes to keep it easy. What varies is the meat he adds, and/or the main veg he adds, whatever is cheap and in season. You can do pickles on the side as another veg too. And a half of avocado with tomatoes and lemon juice is practically dessert! yum.
    I'm getting hungry!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I don't know if you can get it there, but if you haven't tried komatsuna give it a shot. It's kind of like spinach but without the bitterness.

Hmmm, never heard of komatsuna...I'll have to check that out...