Low carb choc type pudding?

Options
Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
Hi, I've been eating a 125g Alpro Dark Chocolate Soya pudding every night with mixed berries and a teaspoon of almond butter as a dessert but at 18g carbs I really should look for an alternative.

Any suggestions on easy low carb desserts that will give me a chocolatety kick? I have cacao nibs, but am unsure what to do with them.

Thanks

Lucy

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
  • jessicamoye33
    Options
    I second the avocado pudding. I use a simpler recipe than the one Gigi posted. I'm not sure whose it is because it was emailed to me, but here's what I do:

Chocolate Avocado Pudding:
    1 large very ripe avocado (or 2 smallish ones)
    ¼ cup water
    3 tbsp natural cocoa powder (non-alkalized or non-dutched)
    2-3 tbsp xylitol or equivalent amount of splenda
    ¼ tsp Truvia or a few dashes of pure white stevia
    ½ tsp vanilla
    1 pinch of salt

Directions:
    Cut avocado in half and scoop the flesh into the food processor. Add all the other ingredients. Process for about 4-5 minutes until very smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. When it is done it will be velvety smooth and have the consistency of thick, dense chocolate pudding. Refrigerate if desired, or eat right away. Top with fresh whipped cream.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Swiss miss chocolate powder mixed with water is what I use for my chocolate cravings. They have a diet version with only 5 grams of carbs. Taste pretty good.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thanks guys...they sound great. I'm in the UK so will have to source some of our ingredients. I have some avocados so i guess tonight's dessert looks to be avo based. One question, and maybe a daft one, but can you still use sweeteners in a primal/paleo way of eating?
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Oh and gigibeans...I'm going to try the link you recommended. I'm drooling now!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on easy low carb desserts that will give me a chocolatety kick? I have cacao nibs, but am unsure what to do with them.

Chocolate & Almond Butter Fat Bombs are my go to:

8 Tbsp almond butter
    8 Tbsp organic raw coconut oil
    4 Tbsp butter
    3 Tbsp baking cocoa
    SF sweetener to taste (I use flavored sugar free DaVinci or Torani syrups...English toffee is awesome!)
    1/4 chopped nuts

Melt almond butter, coconut oil and butter in microwave until liquified. Stir in cocoa and sugar free flavoring. Portion into ice cube trays or candy molds (I use silicone ice cube trays and this recipe makes 18 pieces for me). Sprinkle chopped nuts over top. Freeze. Good right out of the freezer or let thaw a bit for a decadent, creamy, truffle-like treat.

Nutrition facts per piece (18): Cal 133 Carb 2 Fat 14 Protein 2 Fiber 1
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thanks Tru2one. They sound lovely.

I just put the foods for the avocado one into MFP for today and it's blown my carbs limit. 16g for 1 avocado??
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tru2one. They sound lovely.

I just put the foods for the avocado one into MFP for today and it's blown my carbs limit. 16g for 1 avocado??

Lots 'o fiber, though, so it's really not as bad as it seems. How does your soy pudding stack up against that fiber-wise? I'm guessing that the avocado concoction will be the better choice.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Yes, you are right. They are similar in carb content but the avocado one would be far more nutritious. I'm trying to limit my carbs to under 35g but it's weigh in day today so may treat myself to this once I've weighed in.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Truscience/Body Nutrition Magic Pudding... 11g carbs, 28g protein. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that it's VERY sweet. It has sucralose, so if you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners, you may not like it. But I'll have a serving with a couple dollops of whipped cream, and the cream takes away some of the sweetness. :) But I love that it's protein!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's not a pudding ... but it's chocolate!

Make cocoa:

1 C unsweetened Almond Milk
    2 Tbs unsweetened, good quality cocoa powder (I use Hershey's)
    2 Tbs heavy cream
    sweetener equivalent to 2 Tbs sugar (I use 4-6 drops of Sweetzfree (this is pure sucralose - 0 calories, 0 carbs)
    dash of vanilla extract
    pinch of salt

This makes a rich, delicious chocolate drink.

I also add real cocoa powder to protein shakes. So much better than chocolate-flavored protein powder!
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Swiss miss chocolate powder mixed with water is what I use for my chocolate cravings. They have a diet version with only 5 grams of carbs. Taste pretty good.
    I second this!!!! I add a splash of unsweetened coconut milk and 2 tbs of whipped topping. It's a light and easy snack to take the edge off and keeps me within my carbs for the day. I love the idea of a pudding, but would rather have chocolate than avocado, and I don't have the taste buds for stevia/truvia, etc.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

8 Tbsp almond butter
    8 Tbsp organic raw coconut oil
    4 Tbsp butter
    3 Tbsp baking cocoa
    SF sweetener to taste (I use flavored sugar free DaVinci or Torani syrups...English toffee is awesome!)
    1/4 chopped nuts

Melt almond butter, coconut oil and butter in microwave until liquified. Stir in cocoa and sugar free flavoring. Portion into ice cube trays or candy molds (I use silicone ice cube trays and this recipe makes 18 pieces for me). Sprinkle chopped nuts over top. Freeze. Good right out of the freezer or let thaw a bit for a decadent, creamy, truffle-like treat.

Nutrition facts per piece (18): Cal 133 Carb 2 Fat 14 Protein 2 Fiber 1
    omg, I think I'm in love:) This looks like a good recipe!!!!!!!! at only 2g carbs per serving, I will try this!
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have mixed my protein powder with heavy whipping cream and added cocoa and cinnamon to stir up like a pudding. It's great as a quick snack. Fat and protein!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just eat a square or two of 85% dark chocolate, if you let it melt in your mouth it is very satisfying trust me on this one.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have cacao nibs, but am unsure what to do with them.
    I wanted to also say that the nips can be used in Keto baked treats. Really good! Put them in anywhere. Tons of good ideas on Pinterest if you're on that platform.
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding Serves 1.0 people

Ingredients Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fiber Sodium

Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Almond Milk -Original, 4 oz. 15 1 1 1 1 90

Bob Mills - Chia Seeds, 39 g (1 Tbsp) 180 14 9 15 15 0

Hannaford - Baking Cocoa - Baking Cocoa, 1 Tablespoon 10 1 1 2 2 0

In the Raw - Stevia Packets, 1 packet 0 0 0 0 0 0

Total: 205 16 11 18 18 90

mix all together and chill
  • maezombiegirl
    maezombiegirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options

i used to make something like this but then I did not want to eat other food lol...they are still super useful!!
  • maezombiegirl
    maezombiegirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I second the avocado pudding. I use a simpler recipe than the one Gigi posted. I'm not sure whose it is because it was emailed to me, but here's what I do:

Chocolate Avocado Pudding:
    1 large very ripe avocado (or 2 smallish ones)
    ¼ cup water
    3 tbsp natural cocoa powder (non-alkalized or non-dutched)
    2-3 tbsp xylitol or equivalent amount of splenda
    ¼ tsp Truvia or a few dashes of pure white stevia
    ½ tsp vanilla
    1 pinch of salt

Directions:
    Cut avocado in half and scoop the flesh into the food processor. Add all the other ingredients. Process for about 4-5 minutes until very smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. When it is done it will be velvety smooth and have the consistency of thick, dense chocolate pudding. Refrigerate if desired, or eat right away. Top with fresh whipped cream.

Thank you for the recipe!!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    A friend sent this recipe and I made it on the weekend -- yum! I used dark bitter chocolate for the tops. Also toasted the coconut flakes first in a frying pan to make them tastier.

http://paleomg.com/easy-chocolate-almond-butter-cups/

Keep them in the freezer.