Vital Wheat Gluten

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I've been doing a bit of keto baking using almond flour & coconut flour and I was wondering if vital wheat gluten could be used in small amounts? Thoughts?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Not sure about straight vital wheat gluten,,but I use Carbquik on occasion, which has that as one of the first ingredients. I think it's a product to use with caution, or on maintenance, but it provides some nice variety.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not sure about straight vital wheat gluten,,but I use Carbquik on occasion, which has that as one of the first ingredients. I think it's a product to use with caution, or on maintenance, but it provides some nice variety.

We don't have carbquik up here in Nova Scotia. Maybe if I mix the VWG in with some almond flour or coconut flour.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. May try it after my next batch of bread.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Two of the three words in this topic make me cringe...wheat and gluten. ;-) I don't know that it would mess w/ weight loss at all but my past digestive history has made it obvious that I don't tolerate them well so I just try to steer clear out of caution. I know you're talking relatively small amounts just to change the consistency of your baked goods and maybe you'd be okay there. Just be on the lookout for any unwanted side effects and don't change anything else in your eating plan at the same time so you can be objective about how it works out for you.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this article on another topic thread...very interesting read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/this-is-your-brain-on-gluten/282550/