Protein supplements

Options
Hi,

I wonder what peoples thoughts are on protein shakes? I have about 5 pounds left to loose(currently 11lbs, 5ft 2/3), then I want to focus on toning up. I exercise 2-3 days per week (weight training and cardio), and eat 1200 on non-exercise days. I dont eat alot of meat but eat quorn instead.

I've heard that protein shakes can help with weight loss, and are also important for muscle gain and toning. Can anyone advise?

Im also struggling to know how much protein i should be eating? I've reduced the carbs that MFP suggested...should this mean i need more protein?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• blovesit
    blovesit Posts: 20
    Options
    Anyone?! :smile:
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a protein shake after working out to help the muscles recover. There isn't a maximum on how much protein you should consume in a day but there is a minimum (based on your personal body fat percentage) so I would say go for it if it fits in your calories.

Just make sure you don't get one that's full of crap. I use My Protein at the moment but will be moving onto First Protein when I've finished this lot. I have a friend who is a personal trainer/weight lifter/ yoga instructor etc who uses First Protein so I trust her judgement.
  • ruth_jb
    ruth_jb Posts: 14
    Options
    I keep considering protein shakes to help as I am exercising and muscle training to tone up, but every time I think about doing it the cost puts me off! (in UK they are about £40 for a tub).

So far I've just been having a mostly protein based meal after getting back from the gym, usually chicken or tuna. Quorn is high in protein though, I have quite a lot of quorn myself. I always go over my set amount of protein required on MFP, would rather go over protein than over on the carbs!

:smile:
  • ruth_jb
    ruth_jb Posts: 14
    Options
    Ah you're Uk too! Have you seen Jodie Marsh's supplements?

http://www.jstjodie.co.uk/

There have been really good reviews about her products, I'm tempted myself to buy some!