Twice a week instead?

Options
kriskris92
kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
Hi all,
So I've tried C25K before and always given up around weeks 3-4 but I'm determined to change my lifestyle now that I am living on my own without roommates to distract me from my plans and I would really love to try this again. However, with my schedule, I just don't have time to run 3 times a week right now. So would it still be worth it to do the program, but only doing it twice a week? I would still do all the runs, so I know it would obviously take longer and results might not come as quickly, but would it still effective? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I suspect the answer might be different for everybody...but if I spread my runs more than a few days apart, I really feel it. I try to never go more than 2 days between runs now, because I know that my body will drag for that first run back.
  • kriskris92
    Options
    That's more or less what I was scared of, but I guess I'll just have to try it out for a couple weeks and see if it's manageable, or see if I can try to squeeze in an extra run through the week.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Kind of depends on how quickly you recover. I'm in my 60s and need the extra recovery time. So 2x a week works for me. That doesn't mean that I do not do something active on the other days. Just not something with the impact of running.
    Think tai chi, cycling, Pilates, lifting etc.

One thing to remember: most of running is a head game. Getting through the hard parts has as much to do with where your head is at as it does with how fit and conditioned you are.
  • kriskris92
    Options
    Kind of depends on how quickly you recover. I'm in my 60s and need the extra recovery time. So 2x a week works for me. That doesn't mean that I do not do something active on the other days. Just not something with the impact of running.
    Think tai chi, cycling, Pilates, lifting etc.

One thing to remember: most of running is a head game. Getting through the hard parts has as much to do with where your head is at as it does with how fit and conditioned you are.
    Thanks, I guess I'll try it out and see how my body reacts to it! I will still be active on other days - I'm currently working out with a trainer (mostly lifting) twice a week and doing pilates 1-2 times a week so I'll be doing something 5-6 days a week. I just don't know if I can squeeze an extra run in consistently between working and studying and enjoying some free time over the summer!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So would it still be worth it to do the program, but only doing it twice a week?

Yes, but as a result of not consolidating your progress you'll probably want to do a few repeats, perhaps repeat the third run of each week, so that you're spending two weeks of elapsed time on every week of plan time.

Rest days are important, equally stressing our system is important as well.