Recipes and snacks

Options
Hey guys (: I was wondering if there are some healthy recipes , snacks or just some healthy store pre made items that u would like recommend for every body? Food is the biggest part of loosing weight after all.

Replies

• music815
    Options
    My fiancé says kale chips are really good for you!
  • cleopatra651
    cleopatra651 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband makes the best homemade soups. One of my favorite is his Zuppa Toscana. It's simple to make and you can switch the bacon for turkey bacon as a healthier option. It's under 200 calories and just one bowl is very filling and delicious! :bigsmile:
  • gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Crust Pizza

I found this recipe from the group " Recipe Swap" here on MFP. I made this last night and it was so good. I used a low-fat mozzarella and I put the crusts in the freezer few about 10 minutes to help them firm up before cooking them. I made 2 of them (1 for me , 1 for my wife) and cooked one on parchment paper and another just on the greased pan. I found the parchment paper one was much easier to deal with. It didn't burn around the edges and didn't stick like the other did. Both however turned out fine. Also as I was forming them I used paper towels to help draw out some of the excess moisture. I think this helped a lot. Many people on the recipe swap page said they were too moist. Mine were perfect .

Here is the original recipe I found.

Cauliflower Crust Pizza
    Serves 2; Adapted from Eat Drink Smile

Ingredients:
    1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)
    pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings

Directions
    To "Rice" the Cauliflower:Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater).

Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make the Pizza Crust:Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.

To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes). Enjoy!
    Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe for Chili I made on Superbowl Sunday. While you have to watch your portion sizes, I think chili can be quite healthy if made the right way and not eaten with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc. I love it because you can make a bunch of it, keep it in the fridge and eat it during the week, it just keeps getting better every day.

The base recipe I used is here: http://www.chow.com/recipes/30669-spicy-slow-cooker-beef-chili

The only additions I made was a bunch of chipotle powder and some hot sauce to make it spicier. I also left out the pickles jalapenos, as I didn't have any.

If you want to make it healthier, use extra lean ground beef, or substitute it for something like ground chicken. You can also add in a lot of other things, like mushrooms, corn, black beans, or any vegetables you like. In the end, they all just taste like chili.

Also, the recipe says to use a crock pot/slow cooker, but you can just cook it on the stove at a lower heat and stir regularly.
  • shazbox1
    Options
    Seared Tuna. This one is super easy and delicious if you like things like sushi. Sorry I don't have any real measurements, as I usually just freestyle this recipe when I make it.

Ingedients:

Tuna steak (however big you want it?)
    Olive oil
    Soy sauce
    Grated ginger (about the size of your thumbnail?)
    Sliced green onion (maybe 3-4 inches or one piece...)
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:

1. To make the sauce, mix together the soy sauce, ginger and green onion. I usually make this earlier in the day, or the day before, and let it sit in the fridge for a while. You can also add a bit of hot sauce, if you want a bit more spice to it.
    2. Take tuna steak out of the fridge, season with a bit of salt and pepper.
    3. Put a bit of olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
    4. When the oil is hot, put the tuna steak in, sear on both sides for 30-60 seconds (or longer if you want it more well done)
    5. Take the tuna out of the pan and slice it nice and thin.
    6. Eat it with chopsticks to show everybody how awesome you are.

The first time I made this, I was really intimidated for some reason (it even took me a month of debating in my head before I actually bought tuna at the grocery store), but it is really simple and delicious in the end.
  • gdjester1
    Options
    Here is a recipie I like to eat when I just have to have pasta. I'm sure a lot of you get those cravings too. I use Barilla-Plus Pene. Because it's pasta, it does have some carbs but it is made with lentils, chickpeas, and egg whites so it is also pretty high in protein as well.
    I boil the pasta to al dente. Strain and place in a bowl. I add a few tablespoons of lemon juice, a tablespoon (or 2) of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of parmesean cheese and some red pepper flakes and stir. That's it. It tastes awesome.

Sometimes I add chunks of chicken breast, I also sometimes add some edamame to give it some color.
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd gotten to the point where I thought if I had to look at another piece of broccoli or vegetable I would scream. Then I discovered a way to cook them that now I can't wait to eat my fresh veggies (I mean other than salad)! It's so simple - I stick them in the frying pan with lemon juice, cayenne pepper to taste, and use garlic salt sparingly. The acid from the lemon juice really just brings out the beautiful flavor of the vegetables! Happy cooking!
  • shazbox1
    Options
    That reminds me of how good cauliflower is roasted. Just take a head of it and break it into smaller chunks. Toss with a bit of salt and olive oil. Roast at 400*F for 40-45 minutes, flipping halfway. So good!
  • becky2t
    becky2t Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Smoothie recipe:

Best Choice - Mixed Berries, Frozen, 0.5 cup
    Fruit - Banana (7" to 7-7/8" Inch), 1 Medium
    Generic - Organic Baby Spinach, 1 Cups
    Stonyfield - Oikos Greek Nonfat Yogurt Vanilla, 2 oz
    Kretschmer - Wheat Germ ~ Original Toasted, 1 tbsp (13g)
    Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla, 0.5 Scoop (41g)

Total: Cal 302, Carbs 51, Fat 3, Protein 25, Sodium 63, Sugar 27

I like that it has high protein and it actually does taste good. It usually lasts me almost 5 hours before my tummy starts growling, which is good because that's about the time I eat lunch.
  • gdjester1
    Options
    I've been making a Mushroom Sandwich lately that is just awesome. I take some sliced portabellas and fry them in a little olive oil. Just enough to coat the pieces (not deep frying). I sprinkle some steak seasoning on them while they cook. When they are just about done, I add some sliced hot cherry peppers and some lowfat chedder cheese to the top and let it melt.
    Meanwhile, I toast some wheat bread slices and then spead avacodo on the toast like it was butter.
    From there I scoop up the mushrooms with peppers and cheese and place it on the bread. Top with a little barbecue sauce. I use Two Fat Guys Smoky Sauce http://www.ilovetwofatguys.com/index or use your favorite.

That's it. My wife has started having me make them for her as well. She just loves them.