How are the cuts going?

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm only one week in but going well so far. 1.8 lb loss (at 1710 (slightly over most days)) this week and my lifts don't seem to have suffered. Bit early to get excited but the inch I gained on my waist appears to have gone already :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as of Saturday holding steady at 173- had a heavy drop the first week- and not much since.

First week I went a little crazy with the cut- had a really low net calorie- probably under 1200- paid for it by Wednesday the following week (so 8 days later)... balanced out a little better now- I do much better when I'm at work- I can organize my food and mentally plan for the "hungry" phase.

Saturday was a wash- ate like almost 3500 calories- but upside- still had a solid deficit for the week- I need more cardio- but I hate doing it- so trying to make time for it is a pain in the *kitten*. bleck- looking to see a drop this week as it will be the third week.

I feel smaller- I know I'm not- but I feel like it!! which is a nice feeling. Going to try to start shoving myself back into my skinny clothes LOL.

Also going to get a bin and label it BULKING and throw ALL my dresses/pants and everything that are big for me when I'm 20 lbs lighter in it and put it in the basement- try to clear some room in my closet!!! :D
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize you had moved to cutting Jo - good luck! I'm sure you will do great and figure out the right balance. Sounds like a great plan with the clothes.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    April 1st was my official date... I'm down to 170 as of this morning. Been doing a bit better this past week with burned and net- first week I went way to much (not surprised).

I'll be happy if I hit 160 and maintain. That puts me back to where I was last summer.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide how low I want to get my body fat before I'm "done", then I'll switch to maintenance for the remainder of the summer, and start bulking September 1st. I'm excited for that! I'm trying to cut slowly, and I was and then I wasn't. Not sure what is going on. I'm not willing to be hungry just to get abs though especially when I don't plan to compete.

Week Avg cals Weight
    4/7-4/13 1872 139.5 today.
    3/31-4/6 1811
    3/24-3/30 1783
    3/17-3/23 1985
    3/10-3/16 1786 139.1
    3/3-3/9 1899
    2/24-3/2 1899 140.2
    2/17-2/23 1724 140.4
    2/10-2/16 1861 141.1
    2/3-2/9 1689 141.9
    1/27-2/2 2092 142.2
    1/20-1/26 1649 142.4
    01/13-01/19 1855
    01/06-01/12 1742 144.0
  • karenboy29687
    karenboy29687 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost a few lbs in the first few weeks, then *crickets* .....nothin.' I decided soon after to do more of a recomp. I was happy to find out that I didn't have to cut my cals extremely low, they're at 1800 now, and that's about as low as I can go. I think my body has found its sweet spot. It seems to want to stay at 123 so what the hell, I'll take it. I have noticed however that my waist is smaller, and I have lost body fat according to a caliper test that was done last month.
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    Those are great results Karen! I think our bodies definitely have a happy place. I've lost weight a few times over the years but I always stabilize back at the same place.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Cut is still going good; typical losing from the top down and I'm ok with that. My legs have slimmed some but not a great deal and I will be happy if they never do! I've only lost 2lbs on the scale but I know I've lost inches by measurements and I fit in my normal clothes again, just fill them out much more curvier. :) My girls pretty much disappeared overnight last week but I lose much weight there first...???? Cals at 2150, lift 5 days and cardio is 1-2 times a week for 15ish mins. Happy with my results though slower than some, just means I am maintaining what I built up and that's what I wanted.

Strength is still going strong, lifts are still going up though at a different rate bc I moved to the 6-8r rep for awhile as a break. Dead/Squat # go up as well as reps each week and hit 135lb on last set for decline bench yesterday. No cutting effects with my lifting here.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Strength is still going strong, lifts are still going up though at a different rate bc I moved to the 6-8r rep for awhile as a break. Dead/Squat # go up as well as reps each week and hit 135lb on last set for decline bench yesterday. No cutting effects with my lifting here.

That's always a good thing.

I'm interested to see what I lose out of mine- I get back on a regular program next Monday I'm anxious to see how it turns out for the June meet.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I bulked over winter, started at 123lb and topped out at just under 132lb. I've been cutting at about 100 cals under a day for a couple of months and am at about 128.5lb. My maintenance is 1750(coz no car, 9 yo son, no tv or sofa and insomniac lol) so it's between sedentary and lightly active on the scooby scale. My burns vary drastically, as I use 7 heart rate zones over 3 disciplines! But I think I've got em nailed!

Because my measurements are so close to when I was 123lb, I'm convinced I've gained more muscle than I previously thought. Or maybe my bones have just densed up? I planned to gain 1.5lb muscle tissue over 6 weeks. There's 3.5lb left unaccounted for, it can't be fat coz I'm the same size as 123lb give or take a couple of shoulder and back inches that I didn't measure.
    It's mysterious.

Very happy with results. Now that tri training season is here, I'm on maintenance, but weirdly seem to be still slowly dropping, even though I haven't changed my numbers since I was at 132lb. Maybe high carbs before training makes me burn more calories because I can do more. Maybe my BMR is higher. I'm not doing any lifting either at the moment, as I'm getting too tight in glutes and hams to run.

I am nutrient partitioning and loading heavy carbs before/after cardio, and keeping lower carb other times.

I plateaued for about 6 weeks (just like last cut), which has made me even more convinced of Lyles woosh effect.

I am seeing where I end up but still using the same maintenance and burn numbers.

Fitness wise, getting faster very quickly, and passing times I was running a year ago training for same race. Nowhere near as fast as when I was 123 lb yet, but my goal is to be as fast with the added muscle. Still strong in the lifts.
  • caseythirteen
    Options
    Cut is still going good; typical losing from the top down and I'm ok with that. My legs have slimmed some but not a great deal and I will be happy if they never do! I've only lost 2lbs on the scale but I know I've lost inches by measurements and I fit in my normal clothes again, just fill them out much more curvier. :) My girls pretty much disappeared overnight last week but I lose much weight there first...???? Cals at 2150, lift 5 days and cardio is 1-2 times a week for 15ish mins. Happy with my results though slower than some, just means I am maintaining what I built up and that's what I wanted.

Wow - you are doing great!! I love hearing of the success stories from women who are doing it nice and slow and getting the results they want without sacrificing their lifts. *insert clapping hands here*
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Lyles woosh effect? Not heard that one before! :happy:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Lyles woosh effect? Not heard that one before! :happy:

Sorry! It's seemed like nonsense!....I'll try and elaborate. Lyle MacDonald has a theory that when the fat cells are emptying because of deficit, they replace fat with water for a while and hold for a few weeks while the cut is taking place, then woosh! One day they just empty!! So weird and contraversial but it's happened to me at least twice, making me cut too far to get results.

This time I held my ground, cut and stayed at 130 for about 5/6 weeks then bam! Dropped 2 lbs, getting me back on schedule. No water drop either, it was on a normal intensity workout week, and not cycle related either.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up, sounds great. I now have wonderful mental images of fat 'whooshing' out of the body :laugh:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Sorry! It's seemed like nonsense!....I'll try and elaborate. Lyle MacDonald has a theory that when the fat cells are emptying because of deficit, they replace fat with water for a while and hold for a few weeks while the cut is taking place, then woosh! One day they just empty!! So weird and contraversial but it's happened to me at least twice, making me cut too far to get results.

This time I held my ground, cut and stayed at 130 for about 5/6 weeks then bam! Dropped 2 lbs, getting me back on schedule. No water drop either, it was on a normal intensity workout week, and not cycle related either.

This is very interesting. I'll keep it in mind when I start my cut!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I get these "whooshes". I got one today, actually...I've been stuck at 137 for several weeks and today - boom: 135.5. :) So things are looking good overall for this cut so far. I think I have another 3-4 lbs to go before I'm close enough to happy to up my intake again. Definitely losing body fat - upper body is getting leaner and the abs are starting to make an appearance again :) I've managed to stick with 2000/day but I'm feeling the effects - not hungry, usually, just that annoying dopey brain-fog. Gym performance is fine, but that's probably because I've started a new lifting program and it meant doing a big deload. Probably good timing :)
    Hope everyone else is doing ok!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a little pissy today… I initially dropped a little water weight when I started my cut and then saw no scale loss, but had a great measurement loss on waist and around my belly so I remained hopeful. Well, I gained that water weight back during TOM and have not dropped it since. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels here. Still super accurate with weighing/measuring, staying in my deficit and going hard on my work outs. I even added in a few extra runs to my week. Alas, no change!

I am just about effing over cutting. I'm starting to get tired pretty quickly into lifts and I don't want to fall in the trap of just "going through the motions" of my workout for the sake of scale weight. For the most part, I'm pretty happy at this weight. My tummy isn't "bikini ready", but it's not like I plan to be in a bikini much around anyone but my husband and kid this summer, so I suppose that's not a big deal.

Anyway, I'm sticking it out until May. If nothing budges, screw this. Maintenance time it is. I miss feeling like a freaking beast while lifting. I wish bulking season was foreeeeeever!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I miss feeling like a freaking beast while lifting. I wish bulking season was foreeeeeever!

lol I know dem feels :P
  • Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Stalled out. Who'd have guessed that stress and mental fatigue is really bad for adherence. >.>

So I've decided to give 6:1 a shot, somehow a full day of fasting is hell of a lot more manageable from purely psychological PoV for me. Just need to find a good fast day placement within my weekly schedule so it doesn't impact the training too much.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Cut is not going, for me, now at all. Dropped 1.8 the first week then no drop on the scale since, in fact, I've all but gained the first loss back :/

I've been over most days but just averaged things out for the past fortnight and it works out at 1730. Sticking to this for one more week then I'll need to get more drastic, I think. 6:1 sounds interesting, hishtagat - might try it too. On the plus side, I haven't noticed a drop in strength yet.

Fingers crossed for one of these 'whooshes' you speak of.