Why are 40+ not active?

2»

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    My injuries came from powerlifting for many years. Crossfit had nothing to do with it. Internet media and blogs and bad coaches give crossfit a bad name.

Crossfit has no more injuries than any other sport. Depends on coaching and common sense.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    I turned 40 this year, and I've probably never been more active. When I was in my 30s I trained more intensely--Oly lifting, Crossfit, etc. But I was constantly injured and not really achieving my body composition goals. So now I'm not as intense, but I do more and more often (cardio, lift twice a week, am doing the 100 pushup challenge, and do some yoga videos at home to get my stretching in). Ran my first 15K race this year, and am training for a triathlon. A lot of us go hard, just not in the gym, so you're not seeing it!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I work out every day, but I don't go to the gym. I do body weight exercises at home, cycle, run, and dance. I see a lot cyclists and runners in the 40+ category. Without really trying, I've added 6 pounds of muscle over the last year. The only weights I lift are the occasional kettle bell swings. Otherwise I've been using the same kind of strength training methods as they use at Barr Stars.

I went from only being able to do an assisted chin up to being able to complete 4 full reps, no weight assist needed. Not bad for an old gal just getting started. :wink:
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Different people, different goals. I'm sort of confused by the fact that you seem to think it's everyone else's shortcomings that they don't have the same goals and drive as you. I'm further confused by the replies. I certainly don't feel the need to give you an explanation as to why I'm not in the gym six days a week.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    @sherry9300 You must feel offended, I was just posting about the people I know and their lack of desire to do something about their fitness. Some people in my area family and friends are happy with just lying around and eating waiting for another doctors visit to tell them they need to lose weight and exercise. As for me, I was stating that it would be nice to have a partner that would push and want the same things I do.

Why so defensive. Seems like there is always someone in the crowd. It was more or less just a wish that there were more active people in their 40's plus. Geez..

I made a change 3 years ago, I was 60 lbs. overweight, hi BP, hi Cholesterol, liver full of fat. Doc said " Heres your pills"
    Lost the weight because I needed to be around for my kids(Single full time dad with custody). I just don't want anyone dieing or needing operations or pills because they are not in shape.

My drive comes from people saying "You're too old or you need to take it easy"
    Why can't we be active and in shape, theres no rule saying after 40 its over.

Have a nice day, and I'm sorry if something I said was offensive.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    LOL...I'm THAT someone in the crowd? I believe in finding your happiness doing what you love. I'm not going to say a word about anyone else. If I want to walk on the treadmill or run a marathon, what difference does it make? That's all I'm saying. And yes, as we get older, we do have to take it a little easier--at least the majority of us do. There's absolutely no shame in that.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    I sing the song of Ibuprofen.
    Even if I don't feel like it, I try to do SOMETHING. I have a friend who's in her 30's and good heavens, she's flaky. Her motivation level lasts for a week, then pfft for about a month.
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    I have only became active in the past couple months doing cardio and strength training 5 days a week. I'm loving it and wish I new the machines/weights more than I do but someday. In the first month I lost over 8 inches to me that was great.

There is a lady who is on the treadmill and brings her computer and watches a movie, I give her credit I couldn't do that, not that I would want to.

I don't want my 40's to be slow and boring, I want to keep up with my teenage boys when hiking and this is the only way I know how to do it.
  • PuddingSpartaner
    PuddingSpartaner Posts: 24 Member
    Yes there are few people in their 40s concentrating on weight lifting, muscle building, shaping, they either give in and let themselves go or they focus on running in hope of getting lean again. I like weight lifting and i like also not looking like all the other 0815 40s dads/deads, yes i had to fight my way back, check the pics, and no, you're not alone :-)
    I lift with my young cousins, run with my buddy, bike with my kids, HIIT, swim, dance and diet, my goal was getting into a good shape again since 2014 started, get rid of the fat keep while rebuilding or at least keeping my muscles, i'm still struggling, not yet there but i got everything else i did not reach out for but comes without being asked for: great cardiovascular condition, best in my lifetime i guess, good performance with the weights in the gym, good overall condition, healthy feeling, healthy lifestyle and well... not have to avoid the mirror in the sleeping room anymore :-)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Cool....
  • markarthurs1969
    markarthurs1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Everyone trains at different levels but as long as you DO SOMETHING its always better than doing nothing :-)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    ^ Very true. Just wish I had some workout partners around my age with the same drive and goals as I do. The ones in my gym are all newbies and won't show up after 3 months of their New Years resolutions,lol.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    I actually thought this was going to be a post about why this MFP group isn't very active (post-wise) LOL Personally, I am more active/fitter than I have ever been at any other time in my life and I am loving it. 3 years ago, I was tired of feeling like everything else in my life had control over me and I decided to make a change. I always wondered what the catalyst (or the secret) was for other people, and I have found it is as individual as we are…

I am by no means a die hard, but I have run multiple 5Ks, a 10K, the EPIC, and am now training to run my first 1/2. In addition, I strength train 2-3 times a week with a personal trainer. I have been doing this for 3 years, even after a year long debilitating bout with serum sickness. NEVER take your good health for granted; it is truly a blessing and I appreciate it even more now.

That being said, life is hectic at our age. Work, children ( I have a 16 yo daughter and a 10 yo son with autism), grandchildren (for some), aging parents, marriage or divorce, friends or family becoming ill or dying…it's a crazy, balancing act and everyone drops a ball once in awhile. Plus, if you've always felt "blah" and never had the experience of feeling how amazing healthy feels, you think "blah" is normal. And when you look around, "blah" seems to be the norm.

I try to remember how hard it is/was to change my own habits, before I judge others (not saying that you are). My husband struggles and I would LOVE for him to "get it", but he has to do that in his own time and on his own path…I can't do it for him. All I can do is be supportive and create an environment that lends itself towards a healthier lifestyle.

Not sure if I answered your question or just rambled on about my own life! LOL At any rate, the gym I go to, is the "uncool" gym in town..an older, Mom & Pop type joint owned by my trainer. Very low key and I routinely see all ages there. One woman I know is 71 and she is an inspiration! I would love to be as strong and healthy as she is when I reach 71. :)