3-29-14

Options

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Deb ..woohoo, congratulations girlfriend :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Fantastic time considering you just finished the C25K and great you were able to run the entire distance, and with obstacles. I'm wondering if running with a pack helps feed the adrenaline? Did you find you were running at a difference pace than when practicing? What about breathing..did you find you had to slow down a bit in the beginning to control your breathing (my issue when I've been practicing is that). Was the route flat? How was the weather there? Any tips for others from what you experienced?

So when's your next run? :bigsmile:
  • FocusKimFocus
    FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Deb - cOnGrAtUlAtIoNs!!! What a great boost! OK, now I'm definitely going to look for a race to register for. It is such a great feeling to cross that finish line.

Mel - Congrats to you for sticking with this with the baby and kiddos. It was so hard for me to fit fitness in, and I only have 1 kid!

Maree - I'm with you on getting another week of ~1/2 hour runs in under my belt before moving on to week 9. Glad to have someone to do this with!

My plan is to run 35 minutes today.
  • maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Deb -- Fantastic!!!!!!!! Sounds like you took off and left everyone - including the daughters -- for dust!! Great time. Muscle memory, and maybe racing memory. Wow. You are an inspiration.

Kim, ran 35 on the tread today. Had a funny warm-up as I was mucking around with the ap and music and it meant that I wasn't sure what I had done (ks) before I started running. Went a bit faster (remembering I am v v slow, and not particularly trying to push myself on pace) and thought I would struggle to get to 35 -- but yes, 35 took me to 5 ks (with my warm-up walking ks) so all good.

Mel, stay on it.

Airangel -- I am so with you on the breathing -- I have to think my way through that one, so I don't ignore it and start gasping, getting my rhythm all out.

OK, I have a Nike running app which will 'coach' me on my 5ks. I want to do 10 x 35 min runs (inc 5ks) so that I really 'lock it in' over the next 2 - 3 weeks. I will mix it up inside and outside. Inside is easier, but outside is more interesting.
    Have a good week runners!
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Still on a bit of an achievement high today. Celebrated with a sleep-in and a normal dog-walk.

Yes, the crowd did induce adrenaline, and I must have run at a faster pace than before. I wasn't listening to any app or reading off Runkeeper, and the course only announced halfway, but my time was faster. I did start off sensibly, that is not running fast like a idiot, until it felt like I was in a good rhythm for the distance. The weather was cool/cold, especially because it was early evening, and there were some slight hills.

The scariest bit was at the beginning, when I worried that I hadn't done my five minutes of walking warmup, and you spend a bit of time just standing around waiting to start. As there was music, I jigged around on the spot to keep warm, and get my heart going a bit. I was also nervous when running around people and prams that I would trip or something clumsy, and break my ankle again. One of the reasons I put on weight is that I broke my ankle twice, two separate times, about 3 years ago. Other than that, I really just focused on steady breathing, good running technique, and my own race, for my own self.

I finished feeling proud for running the whole way, passing lots of walkers, passing people younger than me, and completing my goal. And I immediately thought of you all, cheering me on. Thank you.

What's great about an organised run, as opposed to cranking out 5km on the dread mill or the pavement, is the sense of validation. You've done it in public, random people may applaud you, and you get a t-shirt (LOL).

And if we all lived in the same area, we would be planning a celebratory drink in a local pub somewhere. I must say, it sounds as if everyone is ready for a 5km run right now. It can feel like a big leap into the unknown, but from what I'm reading, you're all up for it.

Let's go, team!
  • mel521
    mel521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Deb! That's an awesome time! Maree and Kim - so great that you're pushing on to the 10k! Not sure I can handle that r
  • mel521
    mel521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Deb! That is an awesome time! So happy for you!!!!

Maree and Kim, good for you both on training for the 10k. That is admirable, but not something I can do right now. Maybe one day! I'm just going to keep working on my 5k for right now.

I didn't get week 8 day 3 in Friday, and then Saturday was super busy so it didn't happen again. But today we took the kids to a park that has a great trail and I ran until the guy came to lock the gates. It was my first time running outside for c25k and the inclines threw me off a little. I managed to get 3 miles in 42 minutes. I found it difficult to keep a pace without the treadmill doing it for me and I knew I didn't want to go too fast and burn out early. I think I'll try to run outside again next weekend and then the next weekend is the 5k with my sister. I have one more week and I'll be finished with c25k!
  • airangel59
    Options
    Great going everyone.

I have no plans for 10K (or to do a real 5K run), I give you gals a lotta credit. LOL

Today I "think" I got my 3.1 in during the duration of the c25k app, on the treadmill. Had a slight snafu ..put the cell down and hit pause...so I'm walking and its like forever for the voice to tell me to start running..ended up walking 10 miin, but think I made up some time by going 4.5 mph & 5 mph for the run time and part of the cool down. Between walk & run in my hour I went 3.94 miles.

Treadmill is SO very different from running in the real world...can give you a false sense you are really progressing...then you go outside and can't find your pace & get winded at the get go.

Deb..wish in a sense we all did live closer, I'd love to get together and do a run with you guys, lol. So no music or anything ..you just um ran?

Have a great week everyone...safe running!!
  • FocusKimFocus
    Options
    I think we should all head to Aussie to celebrate with Deb!

Well, it snowed a FOOT (30cm for Deb) over the weekend. I kept looking outside at the sideways blowing snow before cuddling back on the couch. This is the time of year where we typically get these snow storms, but everyone is ready for winter to be over. Anyhow, on the spur of the moment I looked up the weather in the next town over: partly sunny, 40s F and no rain expected for another couple of hours. My husband and son were out skiing, so I grabbed my stuff and drove an hour to that same trail from the other day. I stomped it this time! I knew what to expect and it wasn't "hot" LOL. I ran a good 40 minutes, much of it up hill. I felt so fantastic even though I was going slow enough for walkers to pass me. So ... Week 8, Day 3 is officially done for me (it was supposed to be 35min, but I kept going through the cool down).

More snow expected tomorrow night ... we'll see what I can do. I won't be able to leave town since I have a heavy work week. I should mention that I study snow for my job! We don't have a regular gym in our town, but the school gym is available. It is a basketball court, plus a little section with some free weights, an elliptical machine and a couple of stationary bikes. My son loves to go play there after school, so that might be a big part of my exercise the next few days.
  • airangel59
    Options
    Kim--Great going, admire you motivation to go find a place to run AND run longer as well.

I, otoh, walked today on the treadmill and my bum toe is KILLING me (injured it walking last summer). MD appt on Wed, hoping its not cellulitis or something evil (originally was nail damage, so she said).

A run "down under" sounds lovely, lol.

I'm grounding myself for a few (hoping can walk with co worker Fri a.m as usual) and relegating self to the exercise bike for the next few.

Hope everyone has a good running week :)
  • maree142
    Options
    Hey y'all!
    Kim, that is amazing. Where do you live again? As our days here in Sydney start to get darker (no more daylight saving and a little cool -- but not like Melbourne where it is crisp and cold!) we really don't know our luck when it comes to weather.

Deb, how are your muscles? All good?
    Airangel, bugger about the toe.
    Mel, how is it going>
    I did weights this morning, and this evening I did 5ks on the tread, using the Nike + running coach that focusses on 5k running. Today's program focussed on 1.6k warm-up; 2.4 k fartleks at 3 minutes each (basically faster, then slower) ; then cool-down. Was interesting that I finished the 5ks at 41 or so.
    I am wanting to do 10 x 5 ks and/or 35 minute runs over the next fortnight to keep me on top of it...... I might go back to week 9 in the next part of the 5 -10k then.... I think if I tried to keep going without consolidating, then I might have droppped my bundle altogether. All's well here. Happy to host a MYF 5k Aussie run!!
  • FocusKimFocus
    Options
    Hey everyone - I thought I better check-in since its been a few days. I've been having some back spasms (sort of normal for me - they come and go). I've been fine walking, but have decided not to try running the past 3 days. Once my spasms subside, I'm going to get back on track with the couch-to-10k program.

Maree - I live in Southwestern Colorado - close to 3,000m elevation. Its high in the mountains, but very close to the desert at the same time. I don't think I'd realized that both you and Deb are in Australia.

AirAngel - hope the toe is healing up! Things like that are such a drag.

Mel - How's it going?
  • maree142
    Options
    Hey all,
    Maybe I am becoming a runner - a slow, temperamental, ambivalent runner..... I find it hard to believe but my partner and our kids (late teens) are on holidays for easter and staying at an apartment with a gym and I can't wait to maintain my 5ks when I am there.
    I am enjoying it -- not that much whilst I am doing the run -- but I am loving the after feeling, and I am enjoying trying to get to the 5ks below 40 minutes.
    As I said, my plan is to get quite a few 5ks under my belt so that I normalise it whilst at the same time I start trying to run this outside. Such a great feeling!!
    I am going to do the second part of my app -- the 10k part which is another five weeks I think -- in a couple of weeks time (maybe start the first week of May?) when I feel confident with my 5k runs.

Happy Easter all.
  • airangel59
    Options
    Happy Easter/Passover :flowerforyou:

Kim: Yes take it easy. I'm sidelined with cellulitis in the toe that I had nail injury (nail nasty still) when I started walking LAST summer. On antibiotics and trying to take it easy, although I NEED to walk today...too easy to get out of the habit and revert back to the couch potato I started out as.

Maree: Fantastic you are rarin' to go while on holiday. Going to use treadmill I take it or venture outside to run? Where are you vacationing at? Glad you are like me, not enjoying the run at the time but I do enjoy the feeling (and its not the runners high I feel either) afterwards. For me its more a sense of dang, I did it, look at that, than anything else, lol

Deb?? Mel??? You guys still alive & well?
  • gretagirl2013
    Options
    Just checked in after a long hiatus from the board to see how everyone is doing. Sounds like we have some real runners on our hands -- congrats, everyone!! I was embarrassed that I slacked for couple weeks early on, but I was determined not to quit. So I regrouped, and I am proud to report that I just ran my last week with walking intervals and am about to start week 7. I have never been a runner so this is huge for me ... A little nervous about these upcoming longer runs, but I did the 20-minute and it's feeling more and more natural each run. :-)
  • airangel59
    Options
    @Gretagirl...WTG :drinker: Glad you got back on track and reported in. Just go slow (and even slower) and don't be afraid if you have to repeat a week. It's like weight loss, not easy & not going to happen overnite :flowerforyou:
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So great to read that everyone is checking in with progress and updates. It's getting nippy here in Melbourne, making it easier to go running. I've run a couple of 5kms again, just to consolidate, but now I've got a sore hamstring (very annoying), so I've backed off to walk/run routines with the dog. Lots of gym work and Pilates classes as well. I've got 4 kilos to go to reach my goal weight!

Let's keep it up, team.
  • gretagirl2013
    Options
    Am on cloud 9 ... Just ran two miles during my 22 minute run today! Feel like it's finally clicking for me. Felt good and my best pace ever. Huge accomplishment for the girl who couldn't run to the end of her street without wanting to vomit two months ago!!
  • airangel59
    Options
    Great...FABULOUS....and in 22 minutes??? :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    NICE. Doing great!!! I'd be on Cloud 9 myself. WTG
  • maree142
    Options
    Hi all,
    Have been bedridden with flu / cold since Wed, but did a run on Tuesday night on the dreadmill (as Deb calls it!) -- really struggled to keep running but did the 5ks all the same, under 40 minutes.
    I am a bit like you Deb trying to maintain the 5ks and the running to maintain the original effort.
    Hopefully I will feel well enough on Friday to get a run in. Stay cool, all, and whatever you do, don't stop running.
    Cheers
    Maree
  • maree142
    Options
    Hmm. Hope it was just my recovery but I couldn't get beyond 10 minutes in terms of sustained running and it made me lose my mojo a bit! I think I need to try and just do a gentle run to get back up to 30mins without stopping and not worry, look at m distance, my pace or time.
    Hmm. just when I thought I'd cracked it, the mental push of maintaining the running without not stopping has gotten into me.
    Ah well -- got to build up that mental strength....
    Cheers
    Maree