Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to week 5 day 1 for a while until I feel totally confident in it, but still great today! Also I think I am going to hit the 50 mile mark this week which is amazing!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just finished W1D1 for the second time, and I managed to get to the end! This thing is kicking my butt but the feeling I get when I finish is totally worth it! :)

Try slowing down.
    Had a really tough time with W3D2 today and wound up walking a lot more than I wanted to. I think I might wind up repeating W3 because there's no way I'm ready for W4 yet. On the plus side, this is THE FIRST TIME I've ever made it past week 1. I can do this!

Maybe you need to slow down?

This ^^
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I completed week 6 today! I'm considering doing W6W3 over again because it was so difficult.

Just keep going. Week 6 kind of sucks.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I completed week 6 today! I'm considering doing W6W3 over again because it was so difficult.

Just keep going. Week 6 kind of sucks.

Truth!
  • emilym173
    emilym173 Posts: 11
    Options
    hey everyone! New to the group and I thought I'd join in on the Daily Check In fun. I'm doing week 3, day 3 tomorrow morning. I did some yoga today to stretch out my calf muscles. Kind of intimidated that I am so close to week 4!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    So I wimped out and didn't run in the 5k I signed up for Saturday because it was cold and rainy. But I ran a virtual 5k at the gym on the treadmill in 44 minutes!! My goal was to be under 45. I ran 2.75 miles which is the furthest I've gone.

I posted in the graduation thread but plan to stick around here for a bit. Trying to transition to outdoor running but had to drop back to week 3 of the distance app. I think a big reason is all the hills around my house but I plan to keep plugging away. It's tough because I can only run outside one or two days a week due to childcare issues. But I plan to start the 5 to 10k plan for my treadmill runs!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Did W4D2 in the rain. :glasses:
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I completed W4D1 yesterday, but it was really difficult for me. The first 3 minutes of running I did at my normal speed of 5 MPH. I also completed the first 5 minutes of running at that speed. However, for the second 3 minutes of running I had to slow down to about 4.8 MPH and the final 5 minutes I finished at 4.6 MPH. I had to slow down my speed that much, but technically I got through it. I'm debating doing week 4 over again depending on how I feel at the end. We'll see...
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I completed W4D1 yesterday, but it was really difficult for me. The first 3 minutes of running I did at my normal speed of 5 MPH. I also completed the first 5 minutes of running at that speed. However, for the second 3 minutes of running I had to slow down to about 4.8 MPH and the final 5 minutes I finished at 4.6 MPH. I had to slow down my speed that much, but technically I got through it. I'm debating doing week 4 over again depending on how I feel at the end. We'll see...

I think that was about the point where I slowed down. There is no shame in slowing down--might make it easier for you to push through rather than repeat.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am 41. Yesterday, after being congratulated by a coworker for my half marathon, I found myself explaining how, before the November before last, I thought I was genetically unable to run (asthma, no fast twitch muscle fibers, shin splints, I can't remember what else but it was compelling). For the next 9 weeks, I kept waiting for the next run to be the impenetrable barrier that I couldn't pass. I ran as slowly as I could and then slowed down some more. I never found that limit. I haven't found it at 6.2 miles and I haven't found it at 13.1.

Do not sell yourself short. Not only are you capable of a ten minute run - though it might take a couple tries for your body to figure it out - you are capable of so much more. Don't let the picture you have of yourself in your mind hold your body back from what it is equipped to achieve.
    I am 43 and inclined to agree. I am doing a C25K-"esque" program training for a 5K at the end of May. Each week I think "This will be the week when I *can't* complete one of my run/jog sections and have to slow down to a walk.." and each time I make it. Most recent was 5wu 8r 5w 8r 5cd and I completed it and even felt like I still had a little bit of "gas" left at the end. I'm kind of fearing next week though..it becomes 5WU 16r 5cd...so I'm thinking I might modify the next workout to be 5wu 10r 3w 10r 3cd so that 20 minute section will seem a bit less daunting next week...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I am 41. Yesterday, after being congratulated by a coworker for my half marathon, I found myself explaining how, before the November before last, I thought I was genetically unable to run (asthma, no fast twitch muscle fibers, shin splints, I can't remember what else but it was compelling). For the next 9 weeks, I kept waiting for the next run to be the impenetrable barrier that I couldn't pass. I ran as slowly as I could and then slowed down some more. I never found that limit. I haven't found it at 6.2 miles and I haven't found it at 13.1.

Do not sell yourself short. Not only are you capable of a ten minute run - though it might take a couple tries for your body to figure it out - you are capable of so much more. Don't let the picture you have of yourself in your mind hold your body back from what it is equipped to achieve.
    I am 43 and inclined to agree. I am doing a C25K-"esque" program training for a 5K at the end of May. Each week I think "This will be the week when I *can't* complete one of my run/jog sections and have to slow down to a walk.." and each time I make it. Most recent was 5wu 8r 5w 8r 5cd and I completed it and even felt like I still had a little bit of "gas" left at the end. I'm kind of fearing next week though..it becomes 5WU 16r 5cd...so I'm thinking I might modify the next workout to be 5wu 10r 3w 10r 3cd so that 20 minute section will seem a bit less daunting next week...

You should just go for it! You might surprise yourself. All the runs leading up to this one have prepared you for that 16 minute run!
  • likitisplit
    Options

I think that was about the point where I slowed down. There is no shame in slowing down--might make it easier for you to push through rather than repeat.

If you don't slow down in week 4, you will die in week 5. Truth. You're doing what you should be doing right now.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Do the program as written. Each day is designed to prepare you for that next run.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did W4D2 in the rain. :glasses:

Running in the rain is one thing that non-runners will never ever understand.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Newbie here! Did W2D1 this morning...so far, so good...gotta start somewhere, right? :)
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was up to 25 minutes of non-stop running, but last night I suddenly decided I wanted to run for 30 minutes, so I did.

In fact, when I got to 30 minutes, I decided to run 35 minutes more.

Feeling rather proud of myself today - still a bit more to go to run a 5k without stopping though.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was up to 25 minutes of non-stop running, but last night I suddenly decided I wanted to run for 30 minutes, so I did.

In fact, when I got to 30 minutes, I decided to run 35 minutes more.

Feeling rather proud of myself today - still a bit more to go to run a 5k without stopping though.

Make that 5 minutes more!!

I slowed down a bit too, but the speed will come in time!
  • oOoNICKIoOo
    oOoNICKIoOo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym last night to complete W4D2 of C25K. I did well on the first three run segments. However, when I got to the last five minute portion I ran for two minutes, but I had to stop and walk for a minute because I had such a bad cramp in my side. After walking for a minute I ran the last two. I'm a little disappointed, but I still did alright. I'll probably end up doing week 4 over again.

Any idea why I would get that bad of a cramp in my side? Not sure what it was from. I wasn't completely exhausted. I could have run more if it hadn't been hurting. Not sure...
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just found this! Yesterday I did W2D2, Im proud of myself, Im at right about 300 lbs any running that I can do surprises me everyday!
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Did week 5 day 1 for a third time this time I didn't stop at all during the running bits moving on to day 2 next!