1500 Calorie or Less Recommended Daily Caloric Intake

Options
13»

Replies

• 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 40's, I am 5'2.5 and a little over 200 lbs. It had not occurred to me that because I am short I would have to eat less than the normal person. It is really hard for me to eat less than 1600 calories a day. I would be hungry all the time. I am desperate to lose weight. Is there no other way than to feel hungry all the time and drop down to 1300 calories or less? Bummer.

Drinking water helps with feeling hungry. The other thing I have found to work is drinking a glass of fat free milk. At our age (I am 49) we need the calcium anyway. :smile:
  • Pudding1981
    Pudding1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5ft1 and 133, I have a heavier build so my goal is probably to lose 7 lbs-14lbs max. I've just started tracking my food, MFP gives me 1280 but then tracks iphone steps which gives me "extra" calories throughout the day. I'm unclear whether I should be considering those as additional calories or if I should stick to the 1280? I am starting to go to the gym but am not logging that. I always go over to about 1620 but then due to iphone steps (I do 13K on average) the net total is about 1450-1500. I know that's still pretty high but I'm unsure if that would allow me to lose weight in the long run or if I really need to go down to 1280 as if so my current net calories would be taken to more like 1100 from iphone steps alone. Advice would be very helpful thanks :)
  • Pudding1981
    Pudding1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I should not be using the iphone steps as part of my food allowance, I would guess I'm currently eating at closer to maintenance which wouldn't lead to weight loss I'm guessing. It would be good to know if I should really be going for 1280 regardless of how many steps I do. I think I would find it a bit of a shock to the system if I did though!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,843 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I have learned over time (and I mean a lot of years of up and down) is that you really cannot exercise your way to healthy weight loss. I think it helps some and does increase your TDEE but mostly just moving more seems to help. Plus it makes you feel better!

I have noticed that since I stopped going to the office in Mid March where I was walking more (my watch says I sit more minutes per hr than I did before) my weight has crept up. And I have actually increased my running distance and still do all the exercise. So I think you CAN use your steps and SHOULD use your steps as some extra but I don't think it's the complete picture. Everyone of us counts differently and eats different things and works out differently so what you have to do is personalize your own program. Trend weight aps are very helpful for us shorties also. I have been in deficit for about 2 weeks now yet I gained almost 1.5 pounds the last 2 days. Most likely because it's been so hot and I drank about 2 gallons or more of water yesterday. slosh slosh slosh.// It's hard for me NOT to react to the scale doing that when I know I am in deficit but as petites we really get some pretty large variations I think so just stay the course and if you are not losing in say 4 or 5 weeks (and I am older than cycles so that could effect you also) then you know you are off either in the way it's counting exercise or the way you are eating so you need to drop more cals. sadly.
  • BulkyMonster969
    BulkyMonster969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a very active thread but I just popped in to say it's not fair being short!
  • StrongStudent
    StrongStudent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not fair being short! Right now I'm living with two men my age (26) who are trying to gain weight because they're so tall and it has been really hard to remind myself that I can't always have a snack when they get food out.