Hair Color Protection

Options
Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
For those of you who have color treated hair, how do you protect it from the chlorine?

Replies

• Linda_Jaques
    Linda_Jaques Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wear a hat. Doesn't always keep the water out, but lessens the effect I think :). Oh and I always use a shampoo for chlorine after to wash it out.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I also wear a cap. If you do not, my hairdresser told me to spray conditioner on my hair after my pre-pool shower while my hair is wet so that the conditioner will help prevent the chlorine from penetrating the hair shaft. I also shampoo after a swim even if I wear a cap.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use a shampoo for chlorine, called Ion. I also use a lot of conditioner afterward and I have a leave in coconut serum that I put on my hair after it's about half dry.

I get my ends trimmed to keep my hair looking ok and try to color as infrequently as possible. I try to stay as close to my own color as possible to avoid having to do it more frequently. I still have silver showing through, but that's ok.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    I started double capping but I think I need to get a bubble crepe cap to go over my silicone cap. My problem is I can't get the silicone caps to go over my ears and stay there and I can't get the cap to cover the hair on the nape of my neck. Do caps have to cover the ears to help keep water out? I don't see why keeping it tucked behind the ears wouldn't be just as effective. It's not like I have sideburns.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My ears always eventually come out. If you don't have ear problems it shouldn't matter. As for the nape of my neck, it's basically new hair and not constantly colored hair because I keep my hair short and it gets cut regularly. The new grown hair does not accumulate the chlorine like colored because the hair shaft has not been chemically stripped to absorb either perming or color. Even though neutralizer is put on after these it isn't the same. Hope this helps.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    My ears always eventually come out. If you don't have ear problems it shouldn't matter. As for the nape of my neck, it's basically new hair and not constantly colored hair because I keep my hair short and it gets cut regularly. The new grown hair does not accumulate the chlorine like colored because the hair shaft has not been chemically stripped to absorb either perming or color. Even though neutralizer is put on after these it isn't the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Holly. The issue with the cap not covering the nape of the neck is that the hair between the nape and cap let water in. It gets through between the strands of hair that stick out.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I just found the perfect solution and it removes the need for goggles!

2013-11-08T120336Z_1_CBRE9A70XI500_RTROPTP_2_CNEWS-US-THAILAND-PROTEST.JPG
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I put conditioner on before my swim cap.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem other than it making my hair rather dry. I always save a few minutes for the sauna and put a good amount of conditioner on before sitting in there. If I don't have the few minutes I just puts lots of conditioner on before I shower.