C210K anyone?

Options
samonmission
samonmission Posts: 62 Member
Hello All,

This is my second time restarting C25K this time with a better speed and going for C210K afterwards.

I used to run at 4.5mph max with my previous one .. now I have gone upto 5mph and finished my Week5 day3 today with a bang ~

Very happy about it ... I wanted to check if there is anyone else here who is also doing the C210K or have completed it before

The app expects me to finish 2miles in 20 min (6mph speed) but I am not there yet. Do I need to restart from Week 1 to get to that speed?

Sam

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    The speed isn't as important as the distance. As you increase your distance/endurance, your speed will increase as well.

I just finished week 8 of the C210K and I love it! I did c25k through week 5 in the fall and then restarted in Feb but after week 2, switched to the C210K for a little more of a challenge. I really enjoy it.

ETA: My current average speed is 5.2 (11:30/mile) and it works for me. When I was doing C25K the first time, I was just focusing on finishing without dying haha) and my pace was more in the 12:30-13/mile range. I didn't do anything to help my speed, it naturally increased as I built my endurance.

Good luck!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm loosely doing C210K (am using the 10KRunner program). I'm modifying the runs by adding another run session to the workouts. I'm doing that because I want to be sure to run at least 5K during a session and to run longer than I'm used to (I originally ran so slow that I can run for a longer stretch than the run sessions that I'm up to).

I agree with kshadows: speed will come naturally with time. I find that just running the longer distances through 10KRunner is making me faster on my shorter (5K) runs....it's quite surprising, really, how quickly its happening.

My current 5K speed is 7:30-7:45/Kilometer (approx. 11-12 minute mile). When I do my 10KRunner sessions, I slow down as I'll be going longer distances. This past weekend, I ran Week 12 Day 2 and ended up running 8.6K in 70 minutes (approx. 8:15/Kilometer), which shows me that my endurance is building up and my speed isn't slowing down too, too much.

Speed takes a lot of time to accomplish (at least for me) and it's fun to see my times get better.
  • samonmission
    Options
    Thank you for your reply

I am looking forward to improving my Pace with this as well ..... My plan is once I run 10K with my current speed 12 to 12:30min/mile, I'll restart from W1D1 with the 10min/mile speed

The speed isn't as important as the distance. As you increase your distance/endurance, your speed will increase as well.

Good luck!
  • samonmission
    Options
    Thank you for your reply
    I have moved from almost 14:30 min to 15min / mile pace last July to the 12 to 12:30 min/mile pace now
    For me its a big change.. although my goal is to reach 10min / mile pace and I think the C210K will help me with that.

Speed takes a lot of time to accomplish (at least for me) and it's fun to see my times get better.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, check out this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/543-bridge-to-10k

Lots of support and encouragement there.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    NHS has a free podcast for C25K, which I'm currently using together with the Runtastic Pro app.
    They also have C25K+ for graduates who don't run the full 5 km in 30 minutes yet:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/life-after-couch-to-5k.aspx
    You'll find the plus podcast for building stamina there; apparently bridge to 10K can be a bit too brutal unless the 5K is "reality". So I intend to follow the 5K+ since I'm certain I won't run 5K as a graduate.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    NHS has a free podcast for C25K, which I'm currently using together with the Runtastic Pro app.
    They also have C25K+ for graduates who don't run the full 5 km in 30 minutes yet:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/life-after-couch-to-5k.aspx
    You'll find the plus podcast for building stamina there; apparently bridge to 10K can be a bit too brutal unless the 5K is "reality". So I intend to follow the 5K+ since I'm certain I won't run 5K as a graduate.

Great thanks for this. I completed the couch to 5k two weeks ago - I took a week off for me knees to recover and purchase some new running shoes. I'm gonna try this!