Calculating oil in fried food

Options
Hopefully someone here can help me. I make a Keto Parmesan Chicken Nugget recipe that my family enjoys. Its basically brined chicken, coated in 90% parmesan 10% bread crumbs & spices (i know bread crumbs are bad, but the recipe needs some texture and everything else is true keto), egg & heavy cream wash, then back into the parm mixture. Then pan-fried in vegetable or canola oil.

My question is this: when I log the recipe into MFP, how do I quanitify how much oil I'm consuming?

Weighing it before and after won't work because a lot of the parm breading falls off.

Any ideas?

Replies

• bfnaught
    bfnaught Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to my mind is to weight the oil in the jug before hand. Then after frying a batch, return the oil to the jug and weigh again. Divide the difference by the number of nuggets you cooked.

Have you tried ground up pork rinds instead of bread crumbs?
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bfnaught's idea about the pork rinds is a good one. That's what I do for 'breading'.

I second the notion of weighing the jug before and after and dividing.
  • Graphitetshirt
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but as I said, weighing it doesn't really work - a lot of the breading falls off and stays behind in the oil. So the weight would be inaccurate.

Even if it's not that far off, I was still hoping that someone somewhere might have already figured this out. Hopefully someone has.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but as I said, weighing it doesn't really work - a lot of the breading falls off and stays behind in the oil. So the weight would be inaccurate.

Strain the oil before weighing? I don't see why that wouldn't work. And it's not like you have to do this every single time...do it once and that gives you a pretty accurate guesstimate for future batches.