Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bulletproof Coffee question!

eatspopcorn
eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
I am NOT a morning person :yawn: I usually wake up an hour (or less) before I leave for work. Just enough time to shower/dress and grab something for breakfast. A typical day for me has been to measure out some whipping cream into a tupperware container, and take that to work for my morning coffee. That is my breakfast, and I sip on that for the next hour+.

I would really like to try the bulletproof coffee, but my question is this: If I make it at home using my immersion blender and take it to work with me in a travel cup (16oz), will it stay mixed pretty well? I'm concerned with the fat possibly separating before I get to work and can enjoy it. Or also that it wouldn't last too long after I got to work.

I only have a 20 minute drive to the office, so I'm not talking about a huge commute or anything.

I would love to hear input from those that have traveling bulletproof coffee for breakfast! Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Using an immersion blender, I haven't had major separation issues in a 10-15 minute drive. I can't be sure about a 20 minutes one. Using an aerolatte, I have had some separation after 10 minutes or so. But, I have the travel aerolatte, so I often will not even mix my coffee with it until I am ready to drink it.

The blender does a better job. Not sure about 20+ minutes though. Also, don't top off your coffee when you get to work. I did that once and ended up with a massive amount of separation. And drinking coffee with a boiling cap of liquid fat is challenging (to say the least).
  • I agree! Use an immersion blender, mine stays blended for at least 40 mins! I am the exact same as you, i wake up 45 minutes before i need to be in my office and rely on that coffee brekkie! :)
  • eatspopcorn
    Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'll wait and try my first cup on my weekend and see how it holds up.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Is your travel cup well sealed when it is closed? You could just shake it up a bit before you start drinking. I watched a Low Carb cruise video of Dave Asprey making bpc aboard the ship, and since he didn't have a blender, he just dumped everything into a shaker cup and shook it for about 2-3 minutes to blend it all. YMMV.
    I have two of the cheapo handheld aerators that Ikea sells -- one for the office, one for at home! I make bpc both places. Enjoy!
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    I whiz mine up with a little latte frother (the kind you can pick up at ikea or here http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-Produkt-Milk-Frother/dp/B002Y6FBU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398945934&sr=8-1&keywords=frother). (whoa, I didn't know you could get IKEA stuff thru Amazon - this is dangerous to know.)

ANYWAY, I use an Aeropress to make my coffee in the morning - coconut oil is already in the mug. After it's melted, I just give the coffee a quick whiz with the frother, add HWC, whiz again, pour into my thermos, and head to work.

Sometimes it's an HOUR until I can drink it. Still totally holds together. YMMV.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    I'm also not a morning person; so to cheat I scoop my butter/coconut oil in to my travel cup, then when I get to work pour a fresh/hot cup of coffee in it, put the lid on (which is very airtight) and shake it like a Polaroid picture!!

About 30-40 seconds of vigorous shaking and it's ready, doesn't separate and is tasty.

But your lid MUST be air tight! (I use Contigo cup from Coctco)
  • eatspopcorn
    Thanks everyone! I decided not to test the seal of my cup and err on the side of caution. Today I brought my immersion blender and butter/coconut oil in a little cup. I have the milkshake cup for the blender so I mixed it all up in there and then poured it in my travel cup.

I'm so glad I did, this coffee is amazing!!! I will have a look at the tools you guys mentioned though, I was embarrassed mixing it up in the kitchen with other people in there! :blushing:
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Here's another idea for you....

The travel mug I use has a built in swirler/mixer/plunger thing that you can use to stir everything up too ....

http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-Ready-Tumbler-Coffee-Insulated/dp/B00AU77DFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1PV0FC5EGD2QDEPN0A

After I blend everything together in my little generic magic bullet, I pour it in this mug and head off to work. Before taking a sip I just re-blend it real quick (2-3 pumps do just fine) and I'm on my way to being Bulletproof!

I got mine around Christmas time at Big Lots for $7, so check there if you can!
  • eatspopcorn
    Great suggestion, thank you!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    I use my blender. I have an hour commute and it's still fine when I get to the office. To save time, I melt equal parts butter and coconut oil and then pour them into a silicon candy mold and freeze them. I then just grab two squares each morning and when I mix them in the blender with the hot coffee, they melt nicely.