Bulletproof Coffee question!

Options
eatspopcorn
eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
I am NOT a morning person :yawn: I usually wake up an hour (or less) before I leave for work. Just enough time to shower/dress and grab something for breakfast. A typical day for me has been to measure out some whipping cream into a tupperware container, and take that to work for my morning coffee. That is my breakfast, and I sip on that for the next hour+.

I would really like to try the bulletproof coffee, but my question is this: If I make it at home using my immersion blender and take it to work with me in a travel cup (16oz), will it stay mixed pretty well? I'm concerned with the fat possibly separating before I get to work and can enjoy it. Or also that it wouldn't last too long after I got to work.

I only have a 20 minute drive to the office, so I'm not talking about a huge commute or anything.

I would love to hear input from those that have traveling bulletproof coffee for breakfast! Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Using an immersion blender, I haven't had major separation issues in a 10-15 minute drive. I can't be sure about a 20 minutes one. Using an aerolatte, I have had some separation after 10 minutes or so. But, I have the travel aerolatte, so I often will not even mix my coffee with it until I am ready to drink it.

The blender does a better job. Not sure about 20+ minutes though. Also, don't top off your coffee when you get to work. I did that once and ended up with a massive amount of separation. And drinking coffee with a boiling cap of liquid fat is challenging (to say the least).
  • vikki_lo21
    Options
    I agree! Use an immersion blender, mine stays blended for at least 40 mins! I am the exact same as you, i wake up 45 minutes before i need to be in my office and rely on that coffee brekkie! :)
  • eatspopcorn
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'll wait and try my first cup on my weekend and see how it holds up.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Is your travel cup well sealed when it is closed? You could just shake it up a bit before you start drinking. I watched a Low Carb cruise video of Dave Asprey making bpc aboard the ship, and since he didn't have a blender, he just dumped everything into a shaker cup and shook it for about 2-3 minutes to blend it all. YMMV.
    I have two of the cheapo handheld aerators that Ikea sells -- one for the office, one for at home! I make bpc both places. Enjoy!
  • SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I whiz mine up with a little latte frother (the kind you can pick up at ikea or here http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-Produkt-Milk-Frother/dp/B002Y6FBU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398945934&sr=8-1&keywords=frother). (whoa, I didn't know you could get IKEA stuff thru Amazon - this is dangerous to know.)

ANYWAY, I use an Aeropress to make my coffee in the morning - coconut oil is already in the mug. After it's melted, I just give the coffee a quick whiz with the frother, add HWC, whiz again, pour into my thermos, and head to work.

Sometimes it's an HOUR until I can drink it. Still totally holds together. YMMV.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a morning person; so to cheat I scoop my butter/coconut oil in to my travel cup, then when I get to work pour a fresh/hot cup of coffee in it, put the lid on (which is very airtight) and shake it like a Polaroid picture!!

About 30-40 seconds of vigorous shaking and it's ready, doesn't separate and is tasty.

But your lid MUST be air tight! (I use Contigo cup from Coctco)
  • eatspopcorn
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided not to test the seal of my cup and err on the side of caution. Today I brought my immersion blender and butter/coconut oil in a little cup. I have the milkshake cup for the blender so I mixed it all up in there and then poured it in my travel cup.

I'm so glad I did, this coffee is amazing!!! I will have a look at the tools you guys mentioned though, I was embarrassed mixing it up in the kitchen with other people in there! :blushing:
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here's another idea for you....

The travel mug I use has a built in swirler/mixer/plunger thing that you can use to stir everything up too ....

http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-Ready-Tumbler-Coffee-Insulated/dp/B00AU77DFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1PV0FC5EGD2QDEPN0A

After I blend everything together in my little generic magic bullet, I pour it in this mug and head off to work. Before taking a sip I just re-blend it real quick (2-3 pumps do just fine) and I'm on my way to being Bulletproof!

I got mine around Christmas time at Big Lots for $7, so check there if you can!
  • eatspopcorn
    Options
    Great suggestion, thank you!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use my blender. I have an hour commute and it's still fine when I get to the office. To save time, I melt equal parts butter and coconut oil and then pour them into a silicon candy mold and freeze them. I then just grab two squares each morning and when I mix them in the blender with the hot coffee, they melt nicely.