A1C Has anyone ever been at a 12 and got it down to normal?

Options
cynbish3
cynbish3 Posts: 5 Member
I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and they tested My blood levels. My A1C was 12. something. I know that is not good at all. Is there anyone who has had readings like this and got their A1C back to normal? I need information that will help me get mine down to normal. I am now taking Lantus and Novolog. I am also on Metformin 2 pills twice a day. I want to reverse this and get off the meds. I am 41 years old 5 ft tall and 172lbs.

Replies

• brendacshiver
    brendacshiver Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes!! My A1C at diagnosis was 12.9. I basically decided I was "allergic" to white flour, sugar, white rice, white pasta....went on a 1200 calorie a day diabetic diet and exercise AT LEAST 35 minutes a day 5 days a week. My A1C is now 5.1. I DO take 1000mg of Metformin a day. But it CAN be done!!!!:happy:

I have lost 62 pounds and have dropped 7 sizes!

Good luck! You can do it too!!!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed my A1C was 9.2
    3 months later is was 5.0

So; yes it can be done. A1C is basically your BG average over the last 3 months (the life of your blood cells). So you can predict your A1C over 3 months by frequently testing your BG. The rule of thumb is to not let your BG spike to or over 140 1 to 2 hours after a meal; and shoot for 100 or lower before meals or fasting. If you do this consistently, your A1C will reflect this. Most of us control BG by limiting/managing the # of carbs consumed.
  • cynbish3
    Options
    Thank you. I am praying that I can get it down.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am praying that I can get it down.

Yes! It can be done! I was diagnosed with a 10.7 A1C and a fasting of 317. I was another one who recognized I was allergic to carbohydrates, went on a very low carb and high fat diet, pretty low calories for a while, lost all my weight in 6 monhts and all my A1Cs since then (almost 2 years now) have been in the 4% range (mostly 4.7). I was put on Metformin 2000 mg a day and got off of that in about 9 months (should have gotten off at the 6th month or sooner). There were going to put me on insulin two or three weeks after I started metformin, but with LCHF, by the time I went back, my blood sugars were normal. I try to keep my blood sugars in the 80s or a bit lower (but I can visit the 90s and low 100s from time to time). My fasting is usually in the 70s now.

I encourage you to read "The Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein and visit bloodsugar101.com and read that from "cover to cover".

You can do this!! :)
  • swalewis
    swalewis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! My initial a1c was over 12 and after 4 months down to 5.4 through low carb eating, increased exercise and metformin. It can be done, but everyone is unique and takes their own path to living healthy.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I love all these inspiring stories! Ask your physician for a referral to a diabetes education program so that you can learn more about how to manage diabetes with a combination of exercise and healthy eating. You'll find the more you learn, the more confident you are about making healthy choices. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For the majority of T2, cutting carbs really low will eliminate the spikes. I am not sure the A1C reading for about 400 blood sugar, but I had that when diagnosed. I was at normal range within a month. (100 or less fasting, 140 or less after meals) I had not lost any weight or exercised. Never took a single pill or insulin shot.
  • JMDELAMATA
    Options
    I have heard people reversing T2D altogether, just by following a strict diet and losing massive weight. I guess I could do the same.
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    WOW that is awesome! congrat's on losing 62 lbs and getting your blood sugar under control! you are an inspiration to all of us diabetics!
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    cynbish3 ~ I've never had mine that high BUT i have had it high.. for me anyways at 8.1 at one time about a year or so ago or maybe little less? and now i got it down to 6.1 my last lab/blood work results! and i basicly just try to watch my carb intake and Dr. put me back on victoza, that helped me tremendously!

sooo hang in there and just try to watch your carb intake and drink allot of water and exersize as much as you can. plus there are supplements out there that help kurb the carbs if you do happen to eat a carb meal? but just still have to be carefull and not do that too much.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    12.2% - at Diagnosis
    7.0% - 15 weeks later (also lost 70lbs in that 15 weeks)
    6.0% - 6 months after diagnosis (on < 30g a day carbs)
    5.2% - 12 weeks after that (after starting basal insulin and 45-60g/day carbohydrate)

Maintained low 5.1-5.4% for 2 years now.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    12.2% - at Diagnosis
    7.0% - 15 weeks later (also lost 70lbs in that 15 weeks)
    6.0% - 6 months after diagnosis (on < 30g a day carbs)
    5.2% - 12 weeks after that (after starting basal insulin and 45-60g/day carbohydrate)

Maintained low 5.1-5.4% for 2 years now.
    Awesome!! I'm a 10 right now, working to get it down.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Amazing, encouraging thread!!
  • cynbish3
    Options
    Thank you all for posting. I have taken diabetic education classes. I am working on it. I hope to see lower numbers when I go to the Doctor in a few weeks. I know I do not like taking shots every day twice a day.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    It's great that you were able to take classes about diabetes management. You're making an excellent start to lowering your A1c! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Apalachn
    Apalachn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this. I have taken a slightly different approach than most posters to this thread. I was diagnosed a little over a month ago. Instead of counting carbs, I focus on low-glycemic foods. Some of these foods are very high in carbs, but due to the complex nature of them, they do not spike blood sugars. Examples are whole grains like quinoa, wheat-berries, Bulgar, brown rice and legumes of pretty much all kinds. Lentles in particular are very good for the BG spikes. These foods allow you to have a more balanced diet, get tons of fiber and also reduce meat intake which leads to high cholesterol (important since diabetics have higher risks of heart disease). At any rate, at diagnosis my A1C was 10.8. Overnight I began on the low-glycemic journey, cut out all processed foods and started eating about 80% vegetarian. I saw normal levels within one week of this change. Since doing this, my BG dropped to an average of 115 with after meals no higher than 140, but usually in the 120s. My fasting BG is not the greatest yet, but lately it has been around 105. My Dr. blames the liver on this. At any rate, before lunch and dinner BG is frequently in the 80-90s range.

The other tip is to walk 20 minutes an hour after eating and to add cinnamon capsules with every meal. These two tricks will lower your BG. I hope you find this useful! We'll do
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Apalachn,
    It’s great that you are reaping the benefits from the glycemic index, however, your approach does not work for everyone. I have eaten a vegetarian diet in the past and it did not work for me and several people that I know. Protein, leafy greens, berries and was key in keeping my readings in check. Although too much protein is problematic (and you’d have to consume a ton), I disagree with your statement about meat intake leading to high cholesterol! Because of consuming lower carb and moderate protein, my cholesterol numbers are in a healthy normal range, better than the SAD (standard American Diet)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...and also reduce meat intake which leads to high cholesterol (important since diabetics have higher risks of heart disease)...
    FYI meat intake by itself does not lead to high cholesterol. A poor diet can, but a diet high in meat is not necessarily a diet that elevates cholesterol.

My total cholesterol is well-within normal range. My HDL-C is higher than normal. My Tg/HDL-C ratio is 0.696 as-of my last labs. Overall, my lipid profile is amazing - and this on a diet that is often anywhere from 65-80% of it's calories from fat - much of it from animal fats, including meat.

Prior to consuming the LCHF diet I now eat for diabetes, I ate LESS meat and had a much worse lipid profile

Also of note, high-cholesterol does not cause heart disease. Over 1/2 of all heart attacks happen to people with absolutely normal cholesterol.
  • dcunn48
    dcunn48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had similar results after reading three books (soon to be four books), namely, Blood Sugar Solution, Wheat Belly, Grain Brain. Once you realize how your system works, and how big pharma works against you, it should become a no-brainer for recovery from high A1C's to more manageable glucose levels. My A1C went from 12.1 to 6.3 while dropping 42 pounds. I still have far to go, but it is quite doable!
  • cynbish3
    Options
    Thank you all for continuing to post. I am trying to figure out a low carb solution since I really don't eat a lot of meats. I do eat some fish and white meat chicken or turkey. I also will eat bacon if it is very crisp. Very seldom I have a burger. That is about it. I LOVE vegetables. I have quit eating fried foods unless I have fries when out and about. I have cut down on portions and have started walking at least 30 minutes twice daily. I go back to the Doctor in a couple of weeks to see how the meds are working. By my readings, it doesn't seem like they are working to well.