Two questions?

Options
When did you go back to work after the sleeve?

Also, I have been talking to a few friends about my choice for WLS and they keep telling me to try Adipex......Have any of you tried to lose weight that way? It is making me second guess myself, but I am just full of nerves.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I went back to work after 2 weeks. I felt like I was feeling good enough to go back sooner but I did get tired out easily, so I am glad I gave myself the two weeks. I did get bored, and I ended up doing some work from home.

I have never tried Adipex, but in my opinion, drugs or supplements or any other fad diet are not a solution for people who have dealt with obesity all their lives. They are not sustainable long term, which is why people gain weight right back when they stop them. If used properly as the tool it is, WLS can help achieve long term success far better than these things.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Also, I have been talking to a few friends about my choice for WLS and they keep telling me to try Adipex......Have any of you tried to lose weight that way? It is making me second guess myself, but I am just full of nerves.

I went back to work a week after surgery. I was really tired and lacked energy, really could have used the 2nd week but I don't have anyone else to do my job while I'm out so I had to come back.

I tried Adipex, and while it worked for a little while, it was not a permanent solution. It suppresses your appetite, but once you stop taking it, you go back to eating and in my case I put the weight back on plus some. The sleeve surgery is permanent, and a tool to help you eat better and eat less. The long term success is better with WLS then with a diet pill, IMO.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I went back after a week and a half (surgery was midweek). I had scheduled off 3 weeks, but was bored at home and since I have a desk job, the doc said it was okay anytime I felt like I was up to it. You should discuss with your doctor based on the type of work you do and surgery you are having and plan for the max even if you end up going back early.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I went back to my desk job after a week and 1/2. I've never heard of Adipex.
  • jackierhof
    Options
    Adipex is an appetite suppressant and it is supposed to work, but you guys are right! It isn't long term!

I work in the healthcare field. I walk a good amount, but mostly sitting and charting. So I am the only one that can work in my position as well and I don't want to be gone for too long.

Thank you for all of your support. I am so glad that I came across this group.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I went back after 3 weeks but could've gone back after two, if I'm being honest. I had lots of sick leave accrued and no problem with taking the time away. It would've been really hard to go back after only one week as I was so tired. Even after two weeks, although I was physically able, it just seemed like all I could do to manage my protein and water drinking and walking and pills, etc.

And I did try to talk to my PHP doctor about a weight loss prescription but got a resounding 'no'. She was extremely supportive about surgery however.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I went back after 5 days, but I work part time teaching art classes at a university. It was easy except for being a little tired here and there.

Adipex is like any other fad out there. WLS is something totally different and can change people's lives. That being said, don't let anyone. Your friends pushing you to take a pill or anyone on here affect your decision. It's yours and yours alone.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming surgery.
  • GetWaisted
    GetWaisted Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1. I had my surgery on Wednesday and was back to work on Monday. I also have a desk job.

2. I've tried adipex, it does work but of course when I stopped taking it the weight came back on even though when I got off I was still dieting. I know quite a few ppl who have taken adipex as a quick fix but I don't know anyone who has had long term results using it. You can only take it for up to 3mos at a time I believe b/c the side effects I believe.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was out for 2 weeks. A friend who had the band told me to take the entire time offered. He went back early because he was bored and has a desk job and felt that he really wasn't as prepared, didn't really have a handle on what he needed to do for food and water, and that hurt his weight loss. So I took my two weeks and other than being a little tired in the afternoon at my desk job, I was fine.