'Diet Foods' - Available in Australia

Options

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My lunches mainly consist of chicken breast, green veg and sweet potato/quinoa/brown rice. This is a cheap meal. Chicken Breast is around $9 /kg on sale. A few bucks for carbs & vegies. I get a good 6-8 lunches for less than $15.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Fat and broke: making good decisions.

I am on a tight budget and have found a couple of foods I can rely on that come from the supermarket shelves.
    My mainstays are-

Eggs: I boil half a dozen and keep them in the fridge for a quick protein hit
    Aldi soups:
    Tomato Soup (400g?) has around 140 calories, and a whole can + can of water makes for a low calorie, low budget bellyful (89c)
    Beef and Vegetable Soup (535g) has only 344 calories, is more a stew than a soup and is also super filling ($2)
    Minestrone Soup (535g) has only 252 calories and is filling, has 3 or 4 serves of veg ($2)
    Aldi Hearty King braised steak and onion (400g) has 296 calories, and is a reasonable meal ($2)
    Aldi Hearty King ravioli bolognese (410g) is really yummy, filling and only 386 calories ($2)

From the freezer section at Aldi, I recommend:
    Aldi International Cuisine Beef Stroganoff 98% fat free, (350g), at 309 calories ($3.70)
    Aldi International Cuisine Sundried Tomato, Chicken & Pasta (350g) at 333 calories ($3.70)
    Aldi International Cuisine - Vegetable Cannelloni, (400g), at 328 calories ($3.70)

With the addition of decent coffee and some fresh fruit, I can use the above prepared food and keep a budget under $50 a week, which isn't too shabby. It isn't gourmet either, but I am not hungry, haven't had to actually cook for months, and have dropped a considerable amount of weight (26kgs).

Wish we had Aldi up here ;(

and down here in TAS
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the chocolate breeze almond milk with a banana and protein powder. Very yum!

I like the single serves of popcorn as a snack.

Also sunrice thins. I have them with peanut butter or avocodo or ricotta with strawberries.

I like mainland light cheese and water crackers snacks too.

Quakers banana and blueberry oats with unsweetened almond milk mmm

Oooh, sounds good! Very tempted to try the almond milk with banana & protein.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm dieting and these are foods that I eat so I guess they count. Both available from Woolies.

new flavoured pb
    20140323_130734.jpg

various ice creams
    20140324_143756.jpg
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Jarrah no fat yogurt. It's actually cheapest at Aldi and only 52 calories per 100 g!! (where comparable no fat yogurts are 70 calories per 100 g)
  • summerbabe65
    summerbabe65 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mountain bread rice wrap - 68 calories only!
    Brooklea Fat free plain yogurt from Aldi - practically a dupe for Jalna fat free yogurt and half the price. only 54 calories for 100g i believe
  • manda1978
    Options
    I'm dieting and these are foods that I eat so I guess they count. Both available from Woolies.

new flavoured pb
    20140323_130734.jpg

various ice creams
    20140324_143756.jpg

drool
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oooh I haven't tried the Chobani yet.

-I really like Yoplait Forme Greek yogurt, the Raspberry one is so good! It's got about 77 calories, 0 fat, 5g sugar, and 12g protein. I'll have to look at the Chobani one next time.

-A snack I like is 1 Arnotts Cruskits *light* with two tsp of philadelphia cream cheese, easy 43 calorie snack! (if you get the light philly it would be less, I've just got the original philly atm) also I quite like the philly with peanut butter lol.

-For a chocolate hit, I make hot chocolate with Natures way super cacao powder (from Woolworths in the vitamins section) with two tsp natvia or sugar, and about 125ml of Pura tone milk stirred in slowly, then microwave it for 2 mins, stirring after 1 min.

-Pura tone milk- the only no fat milk that I feel tastes any good! 98 calories per 250ml serve.

-Recently just bought Uncle Toby's Weight Wise oats- it's high protein, low carb and with low fat milk, one 40g serve is around a 196 cal breakfast. I find these quite filling!

-Vetta smart pasta- High protein, low carb pasta. Not that low in calories, but tastes exactly the same as normal pasta which is great for me!

-Slendier slim pasta- I dunno, the texture isnt as nice as normal pasta but it's not bad occasionally. Obviously very low calorie.
  • helen6056
    helen6056 Posts: 17
    Options
    Soliel diet dessert range- esp. the dark chocolate one!

Mini babybel light cheese

Laughing Cow light cheese wedges

Moccona flavour-infused coffee (hazelnut is yum! 2 cals a cup)

Burgen Rye bread (not specifically a diet product but sooo filling and satisfying)

And of course, Chobani!!!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I tried Chobani last night, it burned my throat :sick: (lemon flavour) I think the Yoplait forme greek yogurt is much better.
  • manda1978
    Options
    I get the plain Chobani, its awesome.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Found the Quest bars that everyone raves about on here at GNC. I have tried most flavours but really enjoy the cookie dough, drool!

Super low cal snack at the moment is massel chicken stock cube disolved in mug of water, it is kind of like having chicken soup but only 8 calories.
  • manda1978
    Options
    Questbars are super expensive at shops here in Aus. I get mine from iherb.com , heaps cheaper and really fast postage.

I love Choc PB, PB Supreme, Cookies & Cream. Choc Brownlie is nice but gets a biit overpowering. I really disliked the Choc chunk & cookie dough lol.
  • chatnel
    Options
    thanks will check out iherb :)
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Just did a price comaprison with iherb and GNC.

iherb with postage to Aus (2-4 days) - $37.47
    GNC from store (with Gold card)- $38.25

Initial gold card member $10, so first purchase might be a little ekky, however there after the price is almost the same.

I don't work for GNC just like to price compare before I buy anything, bit OCD like that.
  • chatnel
    Options
    GNC do a buy 4 get one free. So I get 5 bars for just over $15
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I buy about 5 boxes at a time. Shipping costs greatly reduced per unit :smile: Iherb for me.
  • manda1978
    Options
    yeah I buy a few boxes too, and I order with my friends.

It works out at about $26-$28 for a box of 12 delivered if you order a few.
  • manda1978
    Options
    Oh if anyone see's Fage yoghurt, PLEASE let me know. Aldi had it for a few weeks, but that was about a year ago. It is so awesome.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Quest bars - not available in Aus, but you can get them sent to you from America. Between 160-200 cal depending on which bar you choose. They are delicious, full of fibre and protein, and if youj microwave them, they become cakey :D

I found these in a Pharmacy here in Brisbane last week. They're amazing.