Scales are stuck

Options
mich0718
mich0718 Posts: 13 Member
I have been using myfitness pal since January 1 and have gone from 183 to 157 pounds, I am 52 and am 5'5. Over the last 3 weeks my scales are stuck. The only thing they will show is a 1/2 to 3/4 pound gain. I am sticking to the 1200 calorie a day I have been doing since the start. I walk 2 miles three times a week at a 3.5 mph pace and do a 5k every couple of weekends.

I am very frustrated and am wondering if I need to increase my calories. Increasing scares me because I don't want to gain, but if it is what I need to do I will give it a try. I have also been extremly thirsty, and up in the middle of the night to drink. Diabetes runs in my family and I have been checking my blood sugar in am and it seems ok runs 94 to 101 first thing. Not sure what is going on but any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Have you read any of the stickies at the top of this discussion page? There is some very helpful information there! Also, I would suggest you go to scoobyworkshop.com and fill out the page on calorie counting and it will tell you your TDEE and what you should be eating to lose weight. Just don't go below a 15% cut at most. Depending on how much more you want to lose, you would either choose 10% or 15%. Are you lifting weights or doing any resistance training? It sounds like you need to up your calories to me. I'm no expert, but 1200 isn't enough to sustain an active lifestyle such as the one you are living now. Give that website a try and let us know what it says.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great job on weight loss. Though you likely won't be happy with what a large chunk of it was.

Were you at least following MFP's method correctly?

You seemed to have followed the 1200 suggestion with no questions asked - did you also log your workouts and meet the increased daily goal that was given to you, no questions asked?
    Or you thought a bigger deficit would be better, so you still ate 1200 in total?
    And really 1200, or did you think missing it by 100 or more below was better?

Did you select Sedentary non-exercise activity level because you have desk job/commute for 45 hrs weekly outside exercise?
    Or is your job or daily life during that 45 hrs more active, so you should be Lightly Active?

2 lb weight loss goal at start would have been reasonable with that amount to lose, but it should have lowered as you had less to lose, at 40 lbs left it should have changed to 1.5 weekly loss.
    With less than 20 lbs to go probably, did you back it off to 1 lb weekly, which would be reasonable now?

So you have discovered probably the bad effect of more is not better, because if walking is only exercise, you lost muscle mass, no way around that.
    You now burn less than you could have daily outside of exercise. This will effect future loss ability and lower your maintenance level, making that harder too.
    Your body has likely also slowed down your daily burn outside of exercise to compensate for too big a deficit. Less burned there too.
    The walking also is going to burn less now since you weigh less, and your speed is about the same, but that would have showed up as you've been logging it.

In addition to the above slowdown's to what you burn daily, likely you are somewhere in the up to 20% suppression your body will do to just plain burn less, more metabolically efficient, to compensate for leaving enough for normal body functions.

Just prepping you that recovery will take a while, and you will see water weight, and the method you used so far is exactly how ones create a maintenance much lower than normal, making it so easy to gain weight again, and make the yo-yo diet even harder next time around.

So good idea being concerned.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss to date, and even more importantly, congrats on seeking out information! You are so right that the low calorie diets just don't work for most people long-term........ Yes, they will give you that great loss when you first start, but then in the end, you are left in a completely unmaintainable situation where you just can't eat less or exercise more. Your metabolism will adapt to your decreased intake and adjust downwards to meet it.

As braves1girl suggested, the stickies that are tacked at the top of this EM2WL Group Board are a great place to start gathering information. There is also a forum on the Main EatMore2WeighLess.com website with lots of people going through the same thing you are - great place for support.

I imagine you are gathering that you have been under-eating at 1,200 calories a day (especially when you add on your exercise!). Have you been eating back your exercise calories, or just eating 1200 calories? I would suggest going to the Scooby website and figuring out your TDEE and BMR. Once you get those, come back and give us your stats and we will be happy to help you through the process...
  • mich0718
    Options
    Thanks for the input so far. I checked the website and it shows my BMR at 1397 and my TDEE at 1921. To answer some of your questions, walking is the only exercise I have been doing, I have some major knee problems and tried running but not the brightest idea I have ever had so back to walking. I haven't tried any weights or resistance exercise and to be honest I have no idea where to start. I am taking a Fitness Class at college that starts June 12 that will require me to be in the gym 3 times a week for 40 minutes and will give me some help on what I need to do to get fit.

I have lost weight in the past but am never able to keep it off and I don't want to set myself up for failure again, I would rather loose slowly and do it the right way this time so any tips you guys can give me would be great.

I do realize that the 1200 calories is not a good long term solution and no I haven't always made it to 1200 and don't get back up to the 1200 when I exercise thought it would just make me loose quicker. Seems I have a lot to learn, your help is appreciated.
  • mich0718
    Options
    I have been doing some more reading on EM2WL and am more confused then ever, I see people talking about a reset. I now have no idea how many calories I should be eating, I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks,
  • heybales
    Options
    So you saw the TDEE calculator.

How many hours of walking for exercise do you do each week, on average?

Since that doesn't burn that many calories, it counts at about 1/2 time, in other words, 6 hrs of walking a week would equal 3 hrs of more intense exercise.
    Remember that for down the road when you do the gym, and keep walking. You add all the time up, but walking gets 1/2 time.

I'm going to guess you aren't doing more than that, so that is top of Lightly Active level for exercise only.

What is your daily life outside exercise like, for work?
    Kids chasing around, standup moving job, ect?
    That might raise you up a level too.

But your Lightly Active that you selected is probably correct unless really active job.

So as you got those figures, you could likely be eating close to 1921 with current level of exercise and maintain your weight.

To lose weight, you merely have to eat less than that.

The reset, or eating at maintenance for a while, is to take care of the issue you created eating WAY less than you could have.

So right now, your TDEE, or daily maintenance with exercise, is likely NOT at 1921, but more around where you eat at currently.
    In other words, you have lost muscle mass, you have slowed your body's desire for spontaneous activity, you have suppressed your metabolism.
    You will have a major headache and stress trying to lose rest of the weight and maintain in that state.
    You can correct those last 2 items by giving body a chance to speed up. By eating at maintenance. By reset.
    That will allow ability to keep losing, and maintain easier.

So whatever you eat at now, start increasing 100 calories extra a day, for a week or two at a time.
    So if honestly hitting 1200, then spend 1-2 weeks at 1300.
    Then 1-2 weeks at 1400.
    Until you get up to 1920 or higher since gym will be starting by then.
    As your body responds faster and faster - you'll only need to spend 1 week at the upper levels before moving up.

Just so you have clearly in mind regarding the scare of eating more.

If you ate 100 more than current maintenance, and your body did not speed up (like it will) - you would have to do that for 35 days to gain 1 lb of fat.

Reread that to understand.

Because you will gain fast water weight, same fast water weight you lost when you started a diet. That was coming back when you stopped the diet eventually anyway.

Now it may be that since you lost muscle mass, your real potential TDEE won't be 1921, may be a tad lower, but at that point at upper level doing many weeks at estimated maintenance, you can discover that fact.

So at the gym, ask about lifting weights, doing that at a hard effort for you is the only way to gain some muscle mass back. And doing it during this reset eating at maintenance is the best time (besides eating in actual surplus) to possibly gain a pound back.
  • mich0718
    Options
    I walk about 2 to 2.5 hours a week right now, at work I am usually at my desk, I spend some time moving inventory around but would say no more than 1 hour a week. I spend weekends with a 4 year old so am a little more active during that time frame.

If I am getting this right, I should start eating 1300 calories for the next week or two than go to 1400 for a couple of weeks and continue that until I get to the 1920, sounds scary but I will give it a try, I understand I will probably gain some weight but it seems like it is the only way I will be able to achieve the long term goals I need to be healthy.

Let me know if I am off base here and thanks for the help!
  • mich0718
    Options
    I just noticed your profile pick, is that at the Groundhog run, I volunteered at that particular 5k and when I saw other people walking I realized that I could probably do the same thing.
  • heybales
    Options
    You recognized the limestone cave walls, indeed. There were even walkers during the 10K too. At least, pretty sure no walkers from the 5K were left.
    You could indeed, that's why they started 5K earlier, and 10K later.

And you are on base. And usually only 2-4 lbs of water weight gain is going to happen. About the same you recall the first few days starting the diet.
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    I walk about 2 to 2.5 hours a week right now, at work I am usually at my desk, I spend some time moving inventory around but would say no more than 1 hour a week. I spend weekends with a 4 year old so am a little more active during that time frame.

If I am getting this right, I should start eating 1300 calories for the next week or two than go to 1400 for a couple of weeks and continue that until I get to the 1920, sounds scary but I will give it a try, I understand I will probably gain some weight but it seems like it is the only way I will be able to achieve the long term goals I need to be healthy.

Let me know if I am off base here and thanks for the help!

Great job getting your numbers, and yes you have it right! Although you certainly could just bump your calories right up to that TDEE number, most find it easier (both mentally and physically) to do the slower method.

Like you described, just bump your calories up by about 100 calories a day and maintain at that level until your weight stabilizes, and you feel ready to push it another 100 higher. Most times, you should be able to make these increases weekly, but you may find you might need to stay at a certain level for a bit longer. For instance, when I initially upped my calories (from 1,000 to 2,100) i really got "stuck" at 1,900 calories. As I recall, I spent about a month at that level waiting for my weight to stabilize. I began to think *that* was my TDEE rather than the projected 2,100 --- but, I stayed consistent at 1900, and eventually the scale came back down, and I pushed it higher again.

Yes, you may gain some weight when you begin this process, but it will just be your body adjusting and refilling depleted glycogen stores -- this gain is inevitable whenever coming off of a steep deficit, but by taking it slow, you should be able to keep these gains to a minimum,

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like a shoulder to lean on along the way :-)
  • mich0718
    Options
    I walked a 5k this morning and mapmywalk have me 386 calories exercise, I am now headed to the zoo, duo know my fitbit will give me more calories, I am at -16 now, do I eat back up to 12 or 1300. I will be on the road part of the day and staying in a hotel tonight, suggestions on how to up and stay healthy. Also general idea of how to increase protein. Sorry of I am asking too many questions.
  • heybales
    Options
    Since you used to eat at 1200 in total and do those events, eat in total that 1300 you increased to.

And you have a Fitbit? You never mentioned that.

There is no reason to be guessing among 5 rough TDEE levels when you have a device that is daily giving you a great estimate of TDEE.

You need to keep to the plan of increasing slowly until you hit whatever normal non-exercise days are for calorie burns. Consider that the low end. Say 1600 or whatever it ends up being.

Then start eating 100 more when your Fitbit adjustment shows you burned more. If adjustment is 75, you eat 75 more. If 300 more, you eat 100 more.
    Next week out eat up to 200 more or whatever adjustment is up to 200.
    Repeat until you are eating back total adjustment of increased activity, in other words you'll be eating at maintenance, as it is on daily basis.

That is your reset then eating at maintenance for however long you need to.

For ease of use, I'd go ahead and set MFP activity level as Sedentary, weight loss goal as Maintain, and just remember 1300 for 1 or 2 weeks as daily goal no matter what.
    Then remember 1400, ect. Might make a note in your Food diary for seeing later as reminder.

As to food increase, fat is not bad. Too much of anything is bad, so no more low or non-fat foods. Perhaps now some just so you can get more protein in.
    Whey shakes are great for 30 min prior to bed - that's when body does main repairs, during sleep time. Use with 2% milk so you get some carbs. Because insulin must go up for protein to be sent out to muscles for use.
  • mich0718
    Options
    I have been doing the reset for one week, up my calories to1300 and have been eating back up to that point worth my fibit adjustments. My weight is actually down 2 pounds, you said I should up to1400 when my weight stabilizers, since my weight changed but went down do I still increase? Thanks.
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh sure, increase away. Just makes getting through this process faster.

That may indicate you dropped your cortisol levels from stress and lost some water weight.

Could be your body got a tad unstressed and allowed some deficit to drop some fat.

And if you unstress more it may allow more deficit even, or more water weight drop on way up.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Sorry, nothing to add, just want to follow this. Finally, I understand some of what Heybales has said. Usually it is way to technical for me. LOL
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    Sorry, nothing to add, just want to follow this. Finally, I understand some of what Heybales has said. Usually it is way to technical for me. LOL

If you need anything explained, please feel free to ask me --- I will try to help :-)

Anitra