May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Mmm, Scotch. Have you had Lagavulin?

No -- I'll have to look for this and give it a try!

I love it, the 16 year. It tastes like kissing a smokey BBQ.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting my weights up, but I'm giving myself more time because adding 5lbs each workout is too tough for me.

Today:

Squat: 5x5, 80lbs
    OHP: 5x5, 45lbs
    DL: 1x5, 85lbs

I can't seem to progress on the OHP, how did you ladies do it?

Happy Friday :drinker:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting my weights up, but I'm giving myself more time because adding 5lbs each workout is too tough for me.

Today:

See profile pic of me.... You do what you can do when you can do it. We're here to cheer you on and give advice when asked and where applicable. That being said..you're doing great! OHP is tough for all women. I'm not sure why. I can row 110 lbs, bench 105, but for the life of me, I cannot get past 70 lbs on OHP! :sad: I'm sure that some of these ladies can help with some accessory lifts that will help you with that. I just don't know which ones and I certainly need to incorporate them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Today:

See profile pic of me.... You do what you can do when you can do it. We're here to cheer you on and give advice when asked and where applicable. That being said..you're doing great! OHP is tough for all women. I'm not sure why. I can row 110 lbs, bench 105, but for the life of me, I cannot get past 70 lbs on OHP! :sad: I'm sure that some of these ladies can help with some accessory lifts that will help you with that. I just don't know which ones and I certainly need to incorporate them.

OHP is one of the hardest to progress in.

Suggestions would be to try and find fractions and/or weighted collars and go up 1-3lbs instead of the full 5lbs.

Barring that up reps to 6 then 7 then 8 on a weight you find "hard" but doable, progress that way to the next level of 5lbs.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @wolfsbayne: Thank you for the words of encouragement! :)

@SezxyStef: I'll definitely look into getting smaller fractional plates. Thanks!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! Just started doing the 5x5 and I love it. Since I am starting out with bar only to start, I get my sets done fairly quickly. So today I just did some miscellaneous equipment to equal 40 minutes of weight training and it felt awesome!!! I am still about 35 pounds away from my goal, and I am wanting to get more of this cray cray awesome muscle definition!!! You ladies kick some *kitten* and I am so happy to be lifting along side you all!!!!
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That graphic in post 1 squicks me out each and every time I see it.

No workout today (giving my back a chance to feel better, so taking a few days off), but I did get my RMR and BF% tested.

RMR: 1627
    BF%: 29.94% (LBM: 111.75)

My scale has been telling me 36%, so I am *thrilled*: I had worried that my initial goal of 140 was too crazy, but that's right on target for a BF% of 21%. I know that I should go a little lower than that before starting maintenance, but 140 is a number I can wrap my brain around. 125, however (if my BF% was really 36)...I'd feel like a big fat loser always seeing that in the distance.)

The me in the avatar over there <--- weighs 143.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did some supersets today:
    5x5x5 x3 squats @ 90lbs (you do 5 reps as low as you can go, 5 reps half way/flutter/pulse then immediately back into 5 reps as low as you can go).
    Overhead tricep extensions 3x10 @ 25lbs

Lat pull downs 3x10 @ 85lbs
    Front & lateral shoulder raises 3x10 @ 10lbs

Bench press w/ leg lifts 3x10 @ 65lbs
    Incline pushups 3x10

Romanian deadlifts 3x8 @ 95lbs

Smith machine lunges 3x10 @ 90lbs
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Hi friends!

I had 1RM testing week this week. I've never actually tested a 1rm before so this was a learning experience for me. For those watching from home I've been lifting for 16 months.

I looked on the internet and found several suggestions that were pretty similar so here's a rundown of suggested weights. Percentages are based of theoretical max.

30-50%x8, 60%x5, 70%x3, 80%x1, 90%x1, 100%x1, add 2-5%, etc.

Squats (Monday):
    45x10, 95x5. 135x5, 185x5, 210x3, 240x1, 270x1, 300x1, 315x1, 325 failed

Bench (Tuesday):
    45x8, 75x5, 85x3, 100x1, 115x1, 125x1, 140x1, 145x1, 150 failed

Dead (Friday):
    135x5, 185x8, 215x5, 250x3, 290x1, 360x1, 375 only went half way up, tried again 5 minutes later and only went up a few inches lol.

OHP (Friday):
    45x8, 70x5, 80x3, 90x1, 105x1, 115x1 didn't try anything more because that was the slowest OHP rep in the history of mankind.
  • katro111
    Options
    Hi friends!

I had 1RM testing week this week. I've never actually tested a 1rm before so this was a learning experience for me. For those watching from home I've been lifting for 16 months.

I looked on the internet and found several suggestions that were pretty similar so here's a rundown of suggested weights. Percentages are based of theoretical max.

30-50%x8, 60%x5, 70%x3, 80%x1, 90%x1, 100%x1, add 2-5%, etc.

Squats (Monday):
    45x10, 95x5. 135x5, 185x5, 210x3, 240x1, 270x1, 300x1, 315x1, 325 failed

Bench (Tuesday):
    45x8, 75x5, 85x3, 100x1, 115x1, 125x1, 140x1, 145x1, 150 failed

Dead (Friday):
    135x5, 185x8, 215x5, 250x3, 290x1, 360x1, 375 only went half way up, tried again 5 minutes later and only went up a few inches lol.

OHP (Friday):
    45x8, 70x5, 80x3, 90x1, 105x1, 115x1 didn't try anything more because that was the slowest OHP rep in the history of mankind.
    Those are some pretty sweet numbers! I'm still lol-ing at your "slowest OHP rep in the history of mankind." That's how I feel at the end of my 5th set at only 65lbs!

Little tidbit of knowledge, should you ever feel inclined to do so, you can take you 1rm and create a pyramid workout with it. I did it with bench press many moons ago, but it works for pretty much any weight lifting move:
    12 reps @ 55%
    10 reps @ 65%
    8 reps @ 75%
    6 reps @ 85%
    4 reps @ 92.5%
    6 reps @ 85%
    8 reps @ 75%
    10 reps @ 65%
    12 reps @ 55%
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think half my problem is that I already don't see them coming and get caught with a glove in my face....contacts in or not :laugh: :laugh:

What you need is a nice bloody nose to remind you to keep your hands up! I didn't protect my face at first either, and then WHAM...hurts like the ****ens and bleed all over. I never forgot afterwards! (Even now when I argue one hand comes up!):blushing:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Fit you are my new hero... your numbers are similar to mine when I was 17 with no injuries and plenty of time to workout when I wanted to!

Katro I used a similar pyramid to gain in strength, but up OR down not both...you are a beast!

Krok the running...I know why runners don't smile. And so do you...:grumble:

So the quick strep test was negative, but I have an ear infection. So have antibiotics and *of course* an antifungal...:angry: Will be back at it on Monday. I think I'm going to start lifting 3 days again.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    @Fit - you are my hero too! Lots of heros on this board actually, but feeling inspired by your workout!
    @ katro - what an interesting workout - are you following a program?

Another weird injury testing workout for me.

I did all my squat warm-ups sumo style tin the hopes of helping with the Weird Pain. I don't think its going to help honestly. Felt those muscles working hard, but the Weird Pain didn't happen until weights got heavier. Who knows.

I've decided to just to 3x5 all the time for squats with lots and lots of warm ups. I did 155 3x5 which felt fine. I felt the Weird Pain, but the weight was really light for me so I was able to experiment with small adjustments to see what might help. Leaning forward more seems to help actually.

Did OHP at a lighter weight too just to make sure that's not what is hurting my shoulder. Its not. 75 5x5 and it was so easy I finished with 10 reps to exhaustion. I better not fail 80 again!

Then some good mornings and rows @85 because my workouts are all jumbled and weird. Really liking de-loaded rows too.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Some of these numbers you put up...I'm impressed and inspired. Seriously.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I've had their 16 yr before. Can't really recall it, but we had a lot of scotch around the house at that point :drinker:

I'm partial to Aberlour for the day to day scotch, but I think the best I've ever had is Knockando 25 yr special reserve. Also enjoyed Balvinie 21 year for my graduation.

Ooo, recommendations. Yay! <3

I recommend all these.....:drinker: Hubby is the big scotch drinker and he was away for work for over 9 months over a year ago and I got these plus 4 others as his welcome home gift.
    546425_4652705049750_776817530_n.jpg
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Those scotches plus the recent article on the art of manliness make me want to go out and buy up my liquor store... :love:

Workout B today! I tried to go up to 1x5 190lbs on my deadlift, but eating a deficit this whole week... ain't gonna happen! My back would not stay straight for the first rep, and the second one (try, try again) was just as bad. So I looked ridiculously stupid to the guy next to me.

Squats: 3x5 145lbs (building my way back up!)

OHP: 1x2 60lbs, 1x5 55lbs, 2x5 45lbs

Deadlift: 1x2 190lbs, 1x5 185lbs

EDIT: I forgot to say, I did my squats in my sock feet and I loved it! Definitely going to adopt that for a while.
  • jstout365
    Options
    I think half my problem is that I already don't see them coming and get caught with a glove in my face....contacts in or not :laugh: :laugh:

What you need is a nice bloody nose to remind you to keep your hands up! I didn't protect my face at first either, and then WHAM...hurts like the ****ens and bleed all over. I never forgot afterwards! (Even now when I argue one hand comes up!):blushing:

I think I've been close. The one crack in the nose on Wednesday did give me a slight darkening in the eye socket next to the bridge of the nose. I am usually okay keeping my hands up when not punching, but need to focus on getting them back when throwing the opposite hand.

So.....it was an interesting Friday for me. Got to go in and meet up with the instructor earlier in the day for sparring since a whole group of us couldn't make the later class time. Just as I was getting ready for class I slammed my elbow into a external corner of a wall in my bathroom. It hit right on the never called the funny bone and oh my God.......the intense pain radiating into my hand was something I didn't know was possible. That was the hardest hit on that I've ever had. So I was cradling my arm while my palm was filled with pins and needles debating on if I should go to the hospital or boxing class. The pins and needles subsided, but my pinkie finger was still tingling and I figured that one way or the other I would have to drive into town anyway so I finished getting dressed for class and decided to see how it felt since I had full mobility and I knew the hand issue was related to the nerve being hit so bad. Well, got to the gym, warmed up and sparred, cause what elbow? Got to do two rounds with the instructor and I didn't notice any discomfort in my arm. I did however land a punch that took my instructor down to all fours.......yeah, got him in the junk and he didn't take his own advice and wear a cup. Woops. I felt bad, but he told me not to worry about it because it was a clean hit, just a little low on him (I'm 5'2" so my low shots are LOW). I'm guessing all the other guys will be wearing cups when sparring with me. But I think I did better this time than the first time. It's just going to take more work with sparring to clean some things up and get used to it all.

Oh, and the elbow still hurts, but is MUCH better after a night's rest. Going easy on it this weekend in the hopes of it being ready for Strong Curves on Monday. No boxing for a week while we are in between semesters. Oh, and I get to move up to the boxing 2 class!
  • katro111
    Options
    @AAbru - I have a whole series of pyramids I created. Bench, abs, back & biceps, legs, chest & triceps. This was well before I had ever heard of SL, so it was just something to keep me going with lifting and keep it interesting!

@liza - Nah, no program. Just wanted to change it up a bit. I do my SL twice a week, but recovery between workouts has been really difficult so I figured I throw a random weights/circuit workout as my third workout each week.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Finally got to start the unbreakable badass 2.0 program today! (Before going to help my mom move. This'll be fun lol)

10 max effort broad jumps. The farthest i got was an approximate 75 inches. I don't carry a tape measure around, ya'll xD

Worked up to 1RM power snatch
    65x2
    70x2
    75x1
    77.5x1 (thank gawd i have fractionals lol)
    80x1
    82.5x1 this one was sketchy but not too bad
    I managed 2 misses @ 85lbs before I ran out of time to test (max 12 minutes)

Same deal with the back squats, except working up to 3RM
    95x5
    115x5
    135x3
    155x3
    165x3
    170x3

believe it or not it was my first time attempting 170 on BOTH high and low bar squat. So my high bar has caught up with the low bar. Wee!

Then finished off with this circuit, for time, of 20-12-8
    DB Power Squat Clean
    DB Renegade Rows (each side counts as 1 rep)

First round was with 20lbs DB but I dropped to 15lbs for the last 2 because my form was going to hell.

total time: 7:11

Aaand finished the session with 19 unbroken-ish push-ups (I didn't put a knee down, so it counts, okay?) =D

Now I need a shower and to get a move on! Everyone is kicking *kitten*! Keep it up!
  • jstout365
    Options

10 max effort broad jumps. The farthest i got was an approximate 75 inches. I don't carry a tape measure around, ya'll xD

Standard gym bag equipment. Rookie, fail..............

Nah, I'm just teasing. I have no reason a person would bring a tape measure to the gym.