Newbie! Is anyone else just starting out?

Options
Resolve2B
Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
Hi Everyone. I didn't even know this group existed! (I've only been a member of MFP for a few months and haven't ventured too far from the diary and the newsfeed with some friends I acquired intially).

SOOO glad I found this group. I'm going to curl up with my tablet later on and just treat myself to some reading! I can see this will answer some of the questions I've had.

I would love to be a runner. A very long time ago (when youth was on my side) I decided to "run". I couldn't even run half a block at first but worked up to running 5 miles. I loved that feeling of early summer morning runs. Children, life, and most of all horrid and never-ending Wisconsin winters get in the way and I stopped.

I've half-heartedly tried again and even ran a miserable 5K a few years ago but never really got into that wonderful "zone" that I know exists. I wasn't sufficiently conditioned or prepared and it was only sheer determination that allowed me to do that run.

I have downloaded the NHS podcasts of C25K onto my Ipod and am all set to get on out there...if it ever stops raining.

If anyone reading this is just starting or restarting or whatever! please send me a friend request (please mention C25K in the FR).

Replies

• stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to restart this. I think that would be good for me. I'll add you for sure! So when do you plan on starting? I'm thinking maybe tomorrow or Saturday.
  • Resolve2B
    Options
    I will try to start this tomorrow (Friday)!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do this since I stated here. So yesterday I did my first round. I have been exercising quite and bit so this was nothing. So I am looking forward to week 2. I heard that was the hardest in the beginning!
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just started this week as well. I've never been a runner. I HATE running, but I don't want to hate it! I have weird conditions such as horrible itching legs when I run and shin splints terribly but I want to try to work through it. So this week I've completed day 1 and 2 of week 1 and I plan to do day 3 tomorrow morning.

Then I will start week 2 on Monday!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1D2 and it was easy. My cardio endurance has really improved in the past months and I think that's why I didn't have any trouble with it. Sore hips but it appears that will decrease with each workout.
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just started today W1D1 done with really no issues. I am sticking to the plan as it is written, Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'd love to hear what people are saying about the coming weeks!
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am restarting this week.
  • Resolve2B
    Options
    I ended up scrambling to get ready to do some May Challenges for exercising that I found out about the day before they began, so didn't get started with C25K last week.

I'm going to start either tomorrow or for sure Wed....depends on weather for one thing.

Glad to hear there will be some new "buddies"! :)
  • Resolve2B
    Options
    Maybe we should start a thread so that all of us who are just beginning can kind of compare notes and log our "I did it" days! What do you think?

If anyone wants to join me I will start such a thread...how about calling the thread The Cinco De Mayo C2'ers? We can all "find" each other there as we proceed through the month?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just started this week as well. I've never been a runner. I HATE running, but I don't want to hate it! I have weird conditions such as horrible itching legs when I run and shin splints terribly but I want to try to work through it. So this week I've completed day 1 and 2 of week 1 and I plan to do day 3 tomorrow morning.

Then I will start week 2 on Monday!

Isn't it interesting how we have a drive to run even when it sucks?

Exercise can release histones - I don't get itchy legs when I run, but I can get itchy after.

Shin splint can be a number of things: shoes, reaching too far forward with your feet, going too fast, a lack of stretching. Just go slow and you'll figure it out.
  • regcal966
    regcal966 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. My whole body hurts today. I regularly do Jazzercise but running really made me hurt. Hope I feel better my tomorrow and day 2 workout. I am most worried about shin splints. I have new shoes and will make a point to stretch more and see if that helps.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    All newbies are welcome in the Daily Check-In thread, which is a mix of all of us at all weeks. Currently there's not a crazy amount of action so it would be nice to see even more faces there!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. My whole body hurts today. I regularly do Jazzercise but running really made me hurt. Hope I feel better my tomorrow and day 2 workout. I am most worried about shin splints. I have new shoes and will make a point to stretch more and see if that helps.

My first day hurt a lot too... mostly my hips. Day 2 and 3 I made sure to stretch right after finishing my run, and I bought a foam roller to roll out my hips (IT bands I think) and it really helped. No pain after day 3 at all. I also tried to focus on my body position during my run intervals and that may have helped too. Day one I just wanted to get through it without stopping, so I was completely unaware of my body position.
  • Minnikka
    Minnikka Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm starting today. So scared!!! Would love some new friends through the journey!!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today. So scared!!! Would love some new friends through the journey!!
    Don't be scared, it's a fabulous adventure that you're embarking on and you'll learn new things about yourself that you didn't know existed :) Come join us in the Daily thread, most active members post their various successes and other musings there. Many are on the first or second week of the programme right now.
  • rearawr
    rearawr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Restarting again. Did my first day yesterday. Realised how unfit and that I had almost forgot how tough the beginning is. Still, it felt good to start :)