Lipids! Woot - NSV!!

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I know there was a thread out there, but I couldn't find it. Unfortunately I don't know what my numbers were before Paleo/Primal, but I am so excited about my recent report:

HDL - 137 - doctor said this was the highest he's ever seen
LDL - 129 - at the high end, but well offset by the HDL
Total - 276 - high but again the HDL makes up for this

Triglycerides - 53 - very very good

I've been pretty much paleo/primal for 9 months (I will admit to falling off a few times, but not too badly). Although I read so many posts and articles about this eating style improving bloodwork, I still was a little worried. No more!!!

:drinker: Cheers to me. I wish there was a cartwheeling emoticon!

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I know there was a thread out there, but I couldn't find it. Unfortunately I don't know what my numbers were before Paleo/Primal, but I am so excited about my recent report:

HDL - 137 - doctor said this was the highest he's ever seen
    LDL - 129 - at the high end, but well offset by the HDL
    Total - 276 - high but again the HDL makes up for this

Triglycerides - 53 - very very good

I've been pretty much paleo/primal for 9 months (I will admit to falling off a few times, but not too badly). Although I read so many posts and articles about this eating style improving bloodwork, I still was a little worried. No more!!!

:drinker: Cheers to me. I wish there was a cartwheeling emoticon!

It is such a wonderful feeling isn't it?
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Awesome triglyceride number! I was just looking at my numbers over the last four years but my Triglyceride number is not that low!

All: what is a good glucose number?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Technically, even LDL doesn't matter like we've been told (in fact high cholesterol numbers are associated with longevity and lower cancer rates!). It's worth checking out "The Cholesterol Myth"; even if I don't agree with the dietary recommendations they do explain the cholesterol thing very well and how testing is still not usually done in a way that is meaningful as an indicator of health.

The triglycerides are a good indicator though and that's awesome.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Very nice
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Technically, even LDL doesn't matter like we've been told (in fact high cholesterol numbers are associated with longevity and lower cancer rates!). It's worth checking out "The Cholesterol Myth"; even if I don't agree with the dietary recommendations they do explain the cholesterol thing very well and how testing is still not usually done in a way that is meaningful as an indicator of health.

agree with the cholesterol - I've been learning a lot about this lately and the rampant use of statins in the U.S. Thanks to big pharma marketing BS.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My blood glucose was 88, and the doc said should be between 70-110 if that helps you Ortega. I requested my lipid numbers from 2013 - when I was eating the Standard American Diet and they were:

Total - 282
    HDL - 117
    LDL - 151
    Triglycerides - 50

so...20 pt gain on HDL, 22 pt drop on the LDL and pretty level tris. Eating all the bacon didn't hurt me!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Did they check your CRP? Very high HDL levels can indicate inflammation which can be quite damaging to the body.