Keto Women: Cycle Issues?

Options

Replies

• hawleyrose1
    hawleyrose1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For 5 years I've had an Implanon contraceptive implant and have had one or two light periods a year, at totally unpredictable times (although I generally get a headache the night before as a sign its coming). So basically I just don't think about it or factor it into anything. I started keto a bit over three weeks ago - totally coincidentally the day I got a period.

I also started my period again today, so twice in three weeks after several years of maybe having two a year. Of course this is a tiny sample, correlation does not equal causation and may very well mean nothing at all, but I'll be interested to see what happens as I continue with keto.
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My new cycle came right on time this month, 30 days from the last one that was a week early. It's back to it's same flow, cramps, etc. I'll keep monitoring it but I think it might have just been a fluke as I was getting into true ketosis.
  • staceycoleentaylor
    staceycoleentaylor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, me too!
  • Loseintime
    Options
    What about hunger and mood swings? More me, I have noticed they increased drastically during my cycle for the past 3 months that I am on Keto.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    While this explains what's going on with me this month. I started keto 20 days ago and just realized that I'm about 1 1/2 weeks late for my period. Could also explain why the scale is going up though that's probably PISS too!
  • lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and had several growths/lesions removed last Summer, but it's now moved in my womb so every time it's 'that week' my weight balloons as the womb is swollen and is the size a five month pregnancy. My periods are more frequent, twice in four weeks, so that's frustrating, but the mood swings, headaches, cravings and tiredness are all gone.

My weight tends to plateau for ages then drop suddenly so we'll see how this affects it :-)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    While this explains what's going on with me this month. I started keto 20 days ago and just realized that I'm about 1 1/2 weeks late for my period. Could also explain why the scale is going up though that's probably PISS too!

I seem to get my cycles later than I used to. The weight gain you're seeing on the scale is probably the temporary water weight gain that happens in the second part of the cycle. It will go "whoosh" once you get your period.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I seem to get my cycles later than I used to. The weight gain you're seeing on the scale is probably the temporary water weight gain that happens in the second part of the cycle. It will go "whoosh" once you get your period.

I really hope so because I'm up 6.4 pounds as of this morning. Of course I haven't had a great BM for the last couple of days and today is day 21 of keto. Initially lost 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Not as fun hopping on the scale this week! lol KCKO!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mine was 2 days late this time but this is my first keto month. Mood swings and cramps non-existent unlike usually. Could be because I'm taking rather significant magesium supplements. That has helped my PMS in the past.
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    I am on the pill and my period still started early, about a week. Again this month (1 full month of KETO), a week early!
  • lremi
    lremi Posts: 59
    Options
    I've only been doing keto a week and my usual clockwork period showed up 4 days early.
  • smedynski
    smedynski Posts: 20
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've always had irregular cycles, since switching to a LCHF diet it's been like clockwork which is amazing!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    2nd month on keto the period came on time and was back to usual
  • ginnyspencer1
    ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My first month on keto, mine was late and I was irritable, and ready to quit keto. It was also my first month taking Opti-Vite vitamins, per my doc, to help with PMS, water retention, etc. THIS month is my second cycle on keto and HALLELUJAH. Right on time, 2 days of irritibility, 1 heavy cycle day, and that's all folks. I STRONGLY recommend ladies on Keto take the OPTIVITE vitamins (amazon). They have the iron, selenium, magnesium, manganese, etc that make the difference. The only other supplement I take is Potassium, which I get from "Substitute Salt". Picked that up after dizzy spells in month one and problem solved!
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    my cycles are less regular. early one month a week late the next. it doesn't really bother me though. they are just as heavy as they always were. but being keto adapted i don't have the cravings, i'm rarely hungry and i don't break out during ovulation or menstruation like I used to. the first month i was on keto my period was a little over two weeks late and had me scared to death lol.
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So 4th month on keto, 3rd cycle. Early by 1 week again and heavier than usual. Also got a migraine which isn't new, but this one was way more intense than usual. I also have been A LOT more meticulous about my macros, so it could be I am still fat adapting or going into deeper ketosis than I was previously.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well, I was feeling all the signs of it when I started Keto a little over a week ago, then boom nada. My boobs are still tender tho so I think my hormones are all screwy from the weight loss so far. I've never been regular either so... your guess is as good as mine. I know I'm not preggers tho...already checked to make sure and no one is home.

Ugh I hope when it does decide to show up its not heavier than normal...normal is heavy as it is :(
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There are probably a lot of terrified males ignoring this thread's existence.
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I started Keto in Jan this year

I hadn't had a cycle for 9 months - frankly being 50 I was excited to be done - until Feb this year that is when I started up again (valenines day of all days).
    Since then I've had 2 more and each time they get worse. I get spotting for days before and after - never had that before and the last one was so painful. Last time I had painful periods was when I was 19 and had endo.

I'm not enjoying this side effect. Does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate the painful periods associated with this WOE?
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    EDIT: wrong thread!