That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    Super Mario Bros and Duckhunt were the first. They came together with the system. The first game that really got me, though, was a PC game, Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. It blew my mind. It's also one of the hardest games I've ever played. Oh, want to go into that dungeon? Well, make sure you don't just have a lantern, but oil for your lantern or you won't be able to see anything.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Donkey Kong on my Super Nintendo. I played with my dad a lot as a kid whenever the levels were really hard. Now I just kick *kitten* lolz. ALSO, FF10!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MEGAMAN 1 on the Nintendo back in the day!
  • IridescentRose
    IridescentRose Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I give full credit to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for making me into a gamer.
  • kmarshalljansen
    kmarshalljansen Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Adventure (Atari 2600) was the first game that I ever found an Easter Egg on.

Video Pinball (Atari 2600) was the first game I ever rolled over the score back to zero.

The Bard's Tale (Commodore 64) was the first game where I used Save-game shenanigans to duplicate items.

Elite (Commodore 64) was the first game where I used a hex editor on a save file to give myself near infinite credits.

One of those likely qualifies :)

--
    http://weightlossachievementunlocked.blogspot.com/
  • dianathepenguin
    dianathepenguin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Marathon Durandal on networked Macs :D

Aaaand, Scarab of Ra.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Adventure (Atari 2600) was the first game that I ever found an Easter Egg on.

Video Pinball (Atari 2600) was the first game I ever rolled over the score back to zero.

The Bard's Tale (Commodore 64) was the first game where I used Save-game shenanigans to duplicate items.

Elite (Commodore 64) was the first game where I used a hex editor on a save file to give myself near infinite credits.

One of those likely qualifies :)

--
    http://weightlossachievementunlocked.blogspot.com/

Elite was a great game in its day. I don't think I ever fully solved it.

The best part of Bard's Tale was that the song that allowed you to walk through dungeons without getting attacked by monsters was called Sir Robin's Tune and was straight from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

"Brave brave Sir Robin, brave Sir Robin ran away!"
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    pacman-arcade-machine.jpg
    Pac-Man. They had a machine at the local Buehler's grocery store when I was five years old. Right as you walked in the door, there is was, in all its electronic glory and joy!
  • Zoocachoo
    Zoocachoo Posts: 23
    Options
    Marble mania and Super Mario :)
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think some of the earliest gaming that help me was probs in the original Mario Bros on the NES, I still remember my thumbs aching from the sharp curves on the NES buttons that mashed your skin after hours of gaming. I also remember playing till it felt like my eyeballs would fall out of my head with Doom on the PC at my cousin's place. I loved those games.

That said, your mention of Zelda really stuck with me. When I was shown the SNES Zelda title for the first time, it felt like a whole different realm of game than I was use to. (I hadn't been introduced to the NES game back then). Then again, when we got an N64 with Zelda Ocarina of time... seeing that for the first time blew my mind again. It's the first 3D world game that opened my mind to the possibilities of gaming going into 3D. Will never forget those experiences.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Spyro on PS! DH got me hooked on that when we were dating and many other PS games. :)
  • NovaStar82
    Options
    Love how you can get a general idea of people's age from their first games :)

Mine would have been Super Mario Bros. and Tetris on NES, and Flimbo's Quest on C64.
    Then played a variety of DOS games on the 486 until we got our first Pentium II(!) and I got hooked on the Theme Park / Theme Hospital etc series of games until the release of The Sims in 2000 - that was me pretty much (aside from some deviations into most major RTS games) until I discovered online gaming and started playing EVE Online in 2005.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    indiana jones and the last crusade, back in the day on 4 floppy disks :D
  • evilstarburst
    evilstarburst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I gamed at 6 but got heavily serious and competitive around 11 it was smash brothers. Nintendo 64. Been competitive ever since..
  • Bri_Undead90
    Options
    The 1st Dead space game really got me into gaming. I love that series and horror survival games.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I first played on atari, many many years ago. Pitfall, Grand Prix, Pac Man, Pong etc..My dad got my older sister an atari for Christmas, and I have been playing ever since.
  • glitterellabella
    Options
    SEGA lol. Sonic but what really got me was Cool Boarders on PS.
  • Jarahal
    Jarahal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what game I got started on but I have photos of me asleep in a little stuffed kids chair with an NES controller in my hands. I was 2, haha. Ive been a gamer pretty much my entire life (turning 25 soon).
  • lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Dragon_Warrior.jpg

I still have nightmares of trying to finish this game, but it's what got me hooked and I have been an RPG guy since!
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My gaming started with NES too, but what got me hooked was Guild Wars 1 PVP. In that game, the PVP is ranked and you gain ranking through wins. It was extremely discriminatory and hard to get in good groups if you didn't already have a high ranking, but I was completely suckered into it. I picked the hardest class to play because it was most likely to get picked for higher ranked groups and went at it like my life depended on it. I got so involved with the tactical intricacies of the game (It was great in its prime, when they balanced everything every week and had tournaments) that I have yet to play another game that can really compare (and I've tried a lot!) I'm currently trying to fill the competitive gaming void in my life with black ops 2, but shooters aren't really my passion and this is my first one, so it's a slow learning curve!