Endo Diet

Options
chercee
chercee Posts: 120 Member
Is anyone here following the endo diet? I've been doing it for the last 3-4 weeks, and I have actually noticed a consistent difference in my daily pain.

Before I started following the diet, I was sluggish, bloated, constantly had digestive issues, and had developed some really bad new pain. Fast forward 3-4 weeks later and I've noticed a HUGE difference - including having the first period in forever that didn't nearly kill me.

Here is what the endo diet looks like for me:
No gluten (I've been gluten intolerant almost 3 years)
No dairy
No soy
No red meat
Reduced poultry
Greatly reduced alcohol
Greatly reduced refined sugar

Here are some things I've added at my doctor's suggestion:
Hemp hearts
Flax seeds
Almond milk
Increase eggs (yolks too)
Increase fish
Increase spinach

Anyway, as we know there is no one cure for everyone, but I wanted to put this out there in case someone else is curious.

Replies

• mkimble05
    mkimble05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to have any fast ideas for meals following this? I already don't eat meat (other than tuna & shrimp). My problem is I wake up at 4am every morning and don't get home till around 6pm ever night. Im constantly on the road and I have a really hard time not stopping in for breakfast every morning at dunkin, mcdonalds, or burger king ;( I also seem to have the worst cravings for cheese and chocolate constantly ever since I can remember. ANY tips? Maybe a sample meal plan or ideas?
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot/slow cooker, or can you make meals in advance at the weekend? You could make big batches of soups and stews and freeze them. To make them more filling, I add starchy veg like sweet potato, or cook batches of brown rice to serve them with. If you don't have the means to heat them up at work, get a Thermos-type flask and heat them up in the morning when you're getting ready. I've also made porridge for breakfast before work and have taken it with me in a flask. It's nicer fresh, but it's convenient if you don't have much time/don't want to eat that early.

I highly recommend avoiding cheese if you can. My pain symptoms worsen when I consume dairy. If you still crave it, just have it very occasionally and in small amounts.
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've tried something very similar, to check what my trigger foods are for both endo and arthritis.

For me the "stay away foods" are...

gluten and most grains
    corn (and all derivatives of)
    MSG
    soy (especially non-fermented)
    food dyes
    table salt (I use only French gray & Himalayan pink sea salts now)
    non-organic beef (I can eat organic, grass fed, hormone free, antibiotic free & steroid free beef, bison and wild game meats)
    unnatural preservatives
    artificial sweeteners (I do ok with stevia, just not too keen on aftertaste)
    artificial flavorings
    beet sugar (most white sugar is this unless labels "pure cane")
    anything with phytoestrogens or phytoestrogen producing (including herbs like red clover)
    city water
    non-organic milk
    soft cheeses like cream cheese, cheese spreads, quick melt cheese (velveta & the like) and brie
    ice cream
    highly processed foods
    junk foods
    fast foods
    soda
    milk chocolate or having chocolate & milk together (I do have dark chocolate on occasion though)

Reducing these helps me a lot...

sugar (using more honey, pure maple & fruit when wanting sugar)
    carbohydrates (other than from veggies & fruits)
    alcohol (limit myself to one on occasion)
    potatoes (only have purple, sweet or red on occasion)

Adding and increasing these help me...

Organic extra virgin coconut oil (I cook in this, put it in smoothies and even use it on my skin and use as hair treatment)
    Organic coconut mana
    Almond and coconut milk
    Avocados
    Hemp seeds
    Chia seeds
    Lots of fish and seafood (I eat fish/seafood usually daily at one meal/snack)
    Leafy greens, especially kale
    Berries, cherries and grapes
    EVOO - I only use this at room temp/cold and no longer cook in it
  • BreeFurze
    BreeFurze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the overnight oatmeal recipes? I use almond milk (1/3 cup), old fashioned or steel cut oats (1/3 cup) and organic plain greek yogurt (1/3 cup), mix it all together in a mason jar or sealable container of choice, then let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning I add some fruit and nuts, and am out the door.
  • BreeFurze
    BreeFurze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just recently started the Endo diet as well and it looks pretty similar for me as it does for you. Here is what the endo diet looks like for me:
    No gluten/wheat
    No dairy
    No soy
    No red meat
    Reduced poultry
    Greatly reduced alcohol
    Greatly reduced refined sugar

I add flax seeds to everything, like my oatmeal. I have a hard time increasing my fish intake, but I am trying. I didn't know that eggs were safe for the endo diet, but I suppose if they are organic/ hormone free they should be fine...

What are Hemp hearts? What do you use them for/ How do you incorporate them into your diet?

I'm happy you posted this because as a newbie on the Endo Diet it is nice to hear other's experiences with it!
  • smollitt
    Options
    Hi. The Endo diet looks so daunting, it will mean giving up all my favorite foods! But at the same time im fed up with Endo pain and and a life on pain meds. Hormonal treatments not worked, though marina coil helped with bleeding. How do I get started? I haven't got a large income and also a family to feed. Should i give everything up at once? How long before i feel benefits. I am overweight and need to loose around 37lbs...i know that being fat is not good for Endo so why is it so hard to get my head around it?
  • katiespencer1987
    katiespencer1987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! I just have been recently diagnosed with endometriosis this month and surgery to remove it after many many years of suffering. I still have some pain currently, but not as bad and I know that the endometriosis will grow back. I work as a nurse in a internal medicine office so I was pretty familiar with endometriosis to start with. I have done a lot of research and have read what to avoid eating when you have endometriosis. What is really frustrating to me is that I want to avoid these foods so I will hopefully have some relief and have more energy, but my husband pretty much told me that I won't be able to do it. What really drives me crazy is that he has Celiac's and does not avoid gluten at all (it isn't really bothering him other than mild iron def anemia, fatigue, and sometimes an awful upset stomach, but nothing near what my grandmother experiences if she has gluten). Does anyone have any advice on how to talk to him into being more helpful and positive about the changes I want to make and not be negative? I love him dearly and I just don't think he understands, but I really need support.
  • LexxyV
    LexxyV Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Endo diet is the way to go- with a few personal tweaks for sure. I do a mixture of primal/ endo diet since I like less grains and beans/lentils in my diet.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the Endo Diet, however, I have greatly reduces (almost eliminated) red meat and milk. I'll have both sparingly, but overall, especially when I am already hormonal, I stay away from those completely.

I have noticed that if I eat Organic Beef and Raw Milk I have 'zero' problems with beed and dairy. This has led me to believe it may not be the beed/diary itself, but the hormones they give most cows...No scientific evidence on this, just what I've experienced while experimenting.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Does anyone following a 'endo diet' have an open diary? I just started and I'd like to see what other people are eating on a similar diet. My diary is public, so feel free to check that out if you are curious as well. :-)
  • lonniebosenko
    lonniebosenko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I follow my own diet and also incorporate anti inflammatory as gas pressure causes a lot of issues as the Endo was found in my intestines.