Tri short recommendations

Options
marlt
marlt Posts: 27 Member
Looking for recommendations for tri shorts. Last year was my first tri season and I used Louis Garneau tri shorts. I wore them yesterday for a brick and they are now too big in the waist. I would like to get another pair prior to my first race on June 8. I was moderately happy with the Garneaus but did feel they were a little snug in the thigh so thinking I might like to try a different brand this time. What works for you guys? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated!

Replies

• WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    2XU are some of my favorites for plain black bottoms, and I have pretty big thighs. I like that they come in longer coverage options, cause I like more support and protection for my legs. Some of the ladies bottoms are really getting too short for me. I also have a pair of pearl izumi's that look great, but seams and panel aren't the best construction for long distance....however, they do have a tie strap up top that I like. Favorites are squadra brand which are used on our custom kits, but ladies short has gotten too short, so I wear the mens variety.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I love Zoot shorts. Super comfy.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have some SheBeest capri length that I love. I have some Pearl Izumi shorts that I haven't worn yet that seem like they are going to be an OK fit, but might prefer just a smidge more thigh room.

I have big thighs and full hips. I have a pair of Endura capri length that I cannot wear. They are for someone with relatively thinner thighs and bigger waist than I have. This causes the pad to be too loose from the bigger top portion/ride down too low since the pants don't want to go up my thighs any further, and it gets caught on my seat when I try to get back on the seat after stepping down for stop signs. It's a safety issue.

It's a small sample that I have - one of each brand - and I need to see if the way the fit is designed is consistent across each of them.

I plan to look for more SheBeest, but I also want to find some 2XUs. I don't know about the Zoots at all yet, so I have to see where they are on the fit spectrum for me.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite tri and bike shorts are Voler. Most places around here sell Sugoi, but they just don't fit so well. And for me, 2XU means chafing. No matter how well I try to break them in.

My vote: Voler.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I was given advise to invest in a pair of tri-shorts. I've decided to do my 1st duathlon in August - 1 mile r/12.4 mile b/3.1 mile r - and I'm not even sure I will do another one yet. All the shorts I see are expensive, especially for someone who is trying this out. Nor do I have an athlete's body, I would not look "smooth" in them, and several I've seen on-line are too small for me, even in the largest size they have.

Question is - are they really worth it? Or would I be ok using my Wal-Mart rack clothes in August and then if I decide later invest away?
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I was given advise to invest in a pair of tri-shorts. I've decided to do my 1st duathlon in August - 1 mile r/12.4 mile b/3.1 mile r - and I'm not even sure I will do another one yet. All the shorts I see are expensive, especially for someone who is trying this out. Nor do I have an athlete's body, I would not look "smooth" in them, and several I've seen on-line are too small for me, even in the largest size they have.

Question is - are they really worth it? Or would I be ok using my Wal-Mart rack clothes in August and then if I decide later invest away?

I think I would use whatever you are most comfortable running in and add a gel pad to the bike seat IF you need cushioning during that portion.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, each brand makes a few different shorts that will vary in cut, compression, etc. So simple brand recommendations are tough to go by.

That said, I've had reasonable luck with 2XU, TYR, Orca, Sugio, and Blue Seventy, and would recommend those brands as broad generalizations with the suggestion that you try on a few pairs to see what fits/feels best.

Speaking more specifically, my favorite (and it's not even close) is the DeSoto Forza line. I raced/trained/lived in their tri bibs last year and bought a tri suit for this year. Probably the best piece of tri clothing I own.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This is largely an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue. If you're able to run and ride comfortably in the clothes you have, then stick with them. But if for some reason they aren't working for you, then you may want to try something else.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My go to brand is 2XU but that's largely a function of the lines carried by triboutique.ca and they're frequently on sale (last year's model etc etc)
  • scott091501
    Options

Agree with Jackson here. If what you have woks for both running and riding then stick with it. If we're talking about bike shorts I wouldn't want to run with that pad between my legs but to each their own. Oh and no one really looks "good" in tri gear, and no one really cares either. It's one of those things you get past after your first race.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i got a pair of pearl izumi tri shorts for my first tri because i love my pear izumi bike shorts. however, they are not the same fit - the tri shorts are low waisted and have no draw string, so i don't recommend. they have several fits though so you might go to a good store and try some on. i did find that i had to size up in the tri clothes for the most part. i'm not satisfied with mine and will likely buy a one-piece for my next tri in august.

good luck!
  • rmhmartin
    rmhmartin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    SOAS tri shorts are super comfortable--I love them. I only like the top that goes with them though. I like the waistband on the shorts (more like a yoga pant top) and the band on the thigh is not tight (but still has grippies so they don't ride up). I hope that's somewhat helpful/informative! :)
  • scott091501
    Options
    If I were a woman I'd look at SOAS and Coeur as they're designed specifically for women.
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    Thanks for the advice here! I was hoping to keep the costs low for this race, and then, if I do get bit by the bug and progress further, then that's another story.

Now my bike...she's another conversation! lol Plenty I see I'd like to do, but I have to restrain myself....
  • scott091501
    Options
    Tri shorts were the only thing I jumped in on for my first race. You can find good brands cheap at places like Sierra Trading Post or Discount Tri Supply. They tend to be last year's model, but who cares?
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I bought the cheapest Tri shorts and top I could find before I did my sprint. I didn't want to invest any money until I knew if I wanted to stick with triathlon. I bought some off Amazon, Danskin brand, less than 20$ per piece and they work great! I actually like the cheap Danskin ones better than the Sugoi ones I upgraded to.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I got my new SheBeest ones from Sierra Trading Post. I used them (finally) last week, and I am in heaven. I have loved all of their products - well, the ones I bought, anyway. The particular pair I got is not labelled a tri-short, but a bike short. However, the pad is thinner than my bike pants/shorts, and it's stretchy/flexible and I can barely feel it is there and will be able to run in them. It might not provide all the padding I need for long rides (if I was ONLY into riding), but since I've also got that run portion, I can't go for the bulky ones... (Need to get myself callused-up, I guess.) Plus - very important here! - they co-ordinate with the tri top I already had.

While it's true that the fit across a brand is usually not the same, generally a brand makes their products to fit a particular body type so it's easier to find more products within a brand once you find one that seems to fit your build. I wish I could wear REI brand pants, but I simply cannot. One in a great while will fit, but it's not worth my time when there are other brands that consistently fit.

Having been a woman who could not fit into the largest sizes (and even almost sized out of the larger of the women's sizes), I understand where this question is coming from. (And I know I'm not the only one around here who does. :) ) Taking into account that last comment about wanting all sorts of things for your bike, Dreamer, I'd say you are going to be looking for bike shorts fairly soon. They do make some in women's sizes, although they are expensive and harder to find in discount places like STP. It sounds like you are smitten with your bike. If you think it will be a while before you fit into "normal" sizes, and you can afford it, you might want to consider getting some now (though I still think you can make do with whatever you want to run in and adding a gel seat if you need one). But if you are changing sizes fairly rapidly, you might want to wait. They need to fit snuggly, otherwise the pad can get hung up on the seat when you are positioning yourself on the bike. This can become a safety hazard.
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    So after my last bike ride, I realized a few things. I really need to get slicker tires on my bike, and, yes, I guess I need tri-shorts. I've been running in capri running pants, but, quite frankly, it's getting a bit too warm for them, so I was thinking I about getting some "tight shorts". Then, after that ride, I was thinking about a gel seat....then... I thought why not kill 2 with 1 stone, and I guess people who know, well, know. So I just ordered a pair of tri-shorts! They are "Aero Tech Women's Classic Triathlon Tri Shorts" and I'm glad to say I was the middle size, still several more above me to go.

I watch triathlons on TV & other bikers on the roads & see thing that I would LOVE to get for my bike, but I know moderation and my bank account is the key. Tri-shorts are the 1st ordered, and now I'm off to look for slicks for "the Cherry Buster". I still have to have some traction due to the dirt roads around me, but really need to get these knobby tires off. lol
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Saucony tri shorts. I think they were only 20 dollars on Amazon, and I am cheap, so that was a winner. They are comfortable and dry out quickly, just enough padding for the bike that you know something is there.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my DeSoto 400 mile shorts but they are pricey. I also recommend Sierra Trading Post. I've never bought tri gear through them, but have bought cycling jerseys and hiking gear. Don't wait until the last minute though. Their stuff is high quality, but sometimes the particular item fits weird or sizing is off.