When you just can't stand to eat...

Options
gaelicstorm26
gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
What do you do when you're feeling unwell and you just can't stand to eat? I'm going on 15 hours since I've last had any food. My sugar is fine (128). How long should you go without eating? And if you are feeling unwell, what things do you try to get down to avoid liver dumps or low blood sugar? This is the first time that I've felt unwell since my diagnosis so I'm not familiar with what to do in these situations. Maybe I don't need to do anything.

Replies

• diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had surgery a month ago and couldn't really eat the first few days. I bought some smoothies (green) that were high in carbs, but I only drank 1/2. They tasted really good and I checked my sugars after eating them and they were ok...
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well. The answer to your question really depends on whether you take any diabetes medications or insulin. You're right to keep testing your blood sugar, and also talk with your doctor to find out his recommendations for days when you're not feeling good. Also be sure to stay hydrated. The American Diabetes Association has some information on sick days here: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/whos-on-your-health-care-team/when-youre-sick.html and also get specific recommendations from your doctor. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I was able to eat a little dinner last night but by that time it had been 23 hours since my last meal. I'm feeling much more like myself this morning and am about to eat some eggs and bacon.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling better! It's a good idea to talk with your doctor or diabetes educator about sick day guidelines so the next time you're not feeling well you'll be prepared. ~Lynn /Glucerna