My blood sugar is weird.

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
This morning, was 141. Tonite after my workout, before dinner, it was 113?

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar usually lowers throughout the day. My fasting and breakfast numbers are my most difficult times and are the times when I really have to keep those carbs in control. Exercising is probably what lowered your blood sugar. Just moderate walking can change mine by 50 points, and I know that your workout was more intense than that! How was you sugar after dinner?
  • kamaperry
    Options
    My blood sugar usually lowers throughout the day. My fasting and breakfast numbers are my most difficult times and are the times when I really have to keep those carbs in control. Exercising is probably what lowered your blood sugar. Just moderate walking can change mine by 50 points, and I know that your workout was more intense than that! How was you sugar after dinner?
    I've never taken it after dinner, maybe I should?
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options

In the beginning, and certainly when you make changes to your diet, it's important to check your blood sugar first thing in the morning, before and after each meal, and right before bed. After a while, you can decrease this, but it's important to know what you can and should not eat or it would be difficult to manage your diabetes properly, prevent spikes, and prevent lows. We shouldn't be chasing our blood sugars down. Instead, they should be predictable, steady, and manageable. This brings a world of peace and avoids a ton of complications.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This morning, was 141. Tonite after my workout, before dinner, it was 113?

Perfectly normal. You're using the glucose in your body when you work out - it's going to run low after, especially if it was a hard or intense workout! I always have to eat a little snack afterwards or I get very, very sick.

I've had mine for a while now, so I'm pretty familiar with my pattern, but for a long time I checked 8 (yes, EIGHT) times a day.
    - First thing in the morning
    - 1 hour before/after breakfast, lunch, dinner
    - Last thing at night

...and sometimes even more often if I felt that something was "off".

These days I only check twice a day - mid-day at lunchtime and just before I go to bed - but as I said, I know my patterns by now and I'm familiar with what I should avoid. I still don't hesitate to check if I feel "off" or funny.

Definitely try taking it more often for a while - you'll see your patterns develop as well.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    Because blood sugar levels change throughout the day based on what we eat, our activity and exercise, and stress levels you gain useful information by testing at different times during the day. That way you learn how different things affect you and can better manage diabetes overall. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Because blood sugar levels change throughout the day based on what we eat, our activity and exercise, and stress levels you gain useful information by testing at different times during the day. That way you learn how different things affect you and can better manage diabetes overall. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Interesting, my dr only has me checking twice aday.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me checking 3 times per day. Once in the morning for fasting, and then before and after one meal per day. I rotated through meals. When I started exercising a lot and had several hypoglycemic episodes I started checking before exercise if there was any question I might be low, and after if I didn't feel 100%.

As I've dropped weight and my numbers have dropped the doctor reduced the testing frequency to 3 fastings per week and 3 meals per week. I still do fasting every day because I usually exercise first thing in the morning and so it doubles as a pre-exercise check. I do a meal every other day.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Definetly doing a post workout check, I worked out in the pool today, and then was out shopping and started to feel a bit weird, so I came home and tested, was 106. I had bought some Glucerna bars and ate one and I feel better. This is tricky stuff! I also bought some glucose tabs to keep with me.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    You're right that learning how exercise affects you can be tricky. I'm glad you're being safe and have glucose tabs to keep in your purse just in case. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    You're right that learning how exercise affects you can be tricky. I'm glad you're being safe and have glucose tabs to keep in your purse just in case. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Thank you :)
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    106 is still pretty high. You may be feeling weird because your body is not used to having normal blood sugars. It will adapt after a few days and thank you for it for the rest of your life. Just because the highest you should see is 140, and arguably 120, doesn't mean you should stay up there. You should aim to get your numbers lower (80s is a normal non-diabetic range that you absolutely Deserve and should try to aim for.) It can be done!! So, you should not have corrected with a glucerna bar because there was absolutely nothing to correct, not to mention that it contains about 20 grams of carbs, slow moving or otherwise, a carb is still a carb and your blood sugar is revolting. In the end, your blood sugar should have the Final say. It says, "No."

Your fasting is quite a bit higher than the night before because your body is still processing what you have eaten the previous day. Dawn phenomenon should not raise your blood sugar by 40 points. This indicates a diet issue, your body receiving too many carbs and/or protein than it requires. It's turned it, the extra, into glucose. Over time, this damages many organs and puts your limbs and eyesight in jeopardy. There's a reason they call Diabetes the "Silent Killer". You may feel "Ok" today, but the complications of keeping your blood sugars so high, are damaging and deadly.

Please, please read the site bloodsugar101.com from "cover to cover". It will save your life. It saved mine.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Been reading portions of it, will read the whole thing, thanks. I think I am in denial or wanting to rebel, this all seems too much, what with the numerous, "sticking" your self and all...