Introduction

Options
ann121212
ann121212 Posts: 290 Member
Thanks fyoung. Without a doubt it will be educational. I have had my vivofit (and hrm) for two weeks and still learning my way around it.

I am a 54y old female from Qld Australia who loves number crunching and trying to stay reasonably fit :smile:

Replies

• fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann. I am a 58 year old guy from San Francisco and a bit of an activity tracker nut. I have had a Jawbone UP24, Basis B1, Fitbit Force and One, Polar Loop, and Vivofit. I still have the last three and usually have all three of them on as I have been bench marking them against each other. I wear HRM's with the VF and the Loop when I am actively exercising. For exercise, I alternate running, roller blading, cycling, and kayaking. Without the HRM, these last three activities would not register properly in the calorie burn department. I could lose a few kilos but exercise mostly to eat and drink. On days like yesterday when I rode 96km, I get steak and Cabernet for dinner. On days that I do nothing, nothing is basically what I get to eat :).

I got my VF on the first day of March. I like the device. Based on all of my trials, I'm convinced it is the best one out there for people like me that do predominantly non-step based exercise and are more focused on calorie expenditure than steps. Having said that, I am exceptionally disappointed with Garmin's software—both Web and mobile applications. My unresolved problem list is currently over twenty items long. I finally have the attention of the right people at Garmin and they are beginning to whittle away at the list but they are absurdly slow.

As an example of the kinds of things I am finding, I did three identical 5K runs on Monday and recorded calories directly from the band at the beginning and end of each netting a reasonable 408, 416, and 425 for runs 1, 2, and 3 respectively. Garmin Connect Modern reported the caloric expenditure for these same three runs as 214, 677, and 199 and step counts well below actual on two of the runs. I repeated the experiment with three 20 mile bike rides yesterday. Direct read: 796, 830, and 863. Garmin Connect: 741, 947, and 1,298.

If people in this group talk about their VivoFit and Garmin Connect issues, I'll either attempt to provide answers or add your issues to my list and eventually get them addressed by Garmin. My #1 concern historically has been that Garmin implement MFP integration. However, given the extreme sketchiness of their calorie expenditure numbers, I'm kind of happy they haven done that yet.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am 30 and from British Columbia. I just ordered the Vivofit and very happy that there is a group to come to with questions ect. I have a friend that may be buying one as well and I will ask her to join!

I used to use a polar heart rate monitor and found it really motivating, it kicked the bucket and I wanted something that did a bit more.
  • ann121212
    Options
    Hi Jen, welcome.

fyoung thank for the heads up about the calories error - I had some 'off' readings that confused me as well. My biggest concern atm is the huge difference in step count when using the hrm - this is the worst example of what I have logged -

Walked to point x with no hrm 2800 steps (did this 4 times with very similar numbers)
    Walked to point x with hrm - 26 minutes, 1686 steps, 218 calories
    " " " " " " " " - 25 minutes, 788 steps, 86 calories

I do not particularly want the hrm for walking but as it is the first one I have owned I am using it in lots of situations so I can get an understanding of it. I was hoping to see the different burn rates of flat walking, power walking, hill walking and just strolling.

Saturday (weather permitting) I have a course planned to experiment with the hrm, walking speed, time of day, steps and calories (and any other variables that occur). I am really hoping I can find a solid reason for the different readings.

Good going on the 96k bike ride - I have just dug out my old bike from the shed and battling to get in 20k a week.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Actually joined the group shortly after it started but this has been the first time I've had a chance to post something. Almost 47 y/o male living in NW Iowa. Started using the Vivofit 3/14 and have been very pleased with it so far. My main use of the VF is to track my daily calorie burn and having the HRM strap was the reason I bought the VF over a Fitbit or Jawbone UP. I use a Timex Run Trainer GPS watch for my running and cycling and since both Garmin and Timex use ANT+, I didn't go the Polar Loop route. The VF is my first Garmin product.

I use a spreadsheet to track my calories in from MFP and calories burned from the VF. The spreadsheet also has my running and weight lifting logs so it's my all-in-one tracker. Because of this many of the issues with the VF really don't bother me. I don't need the integration of MFP/VF nor do I really use the Connect software since I don't have the history with Garmin (I use Training Peaks for my online run/cycling data history). I will say if Garmin does fix the device duplication issue between the VF data and GPS watch data, I might be interested in getting a Garmin GPS to replace my Timex when it kicks the bucket.

What I've really liked about the VF is: it's comfortable to wear, not had the band issues (though I do have a O-ring on it as a precaution), the screen is easy to read (there are very few times it's to dark to read), the battery life and not having to charge it all the time and being able to use the HRM strap. One perk is the I don't have to scroll my Timex when running between run data and HR data, I just use the VF for HR viewing (have my zones set up identical on both). I have also been pleased with the calorie counting outcomes so far. I know folks have questioned the accuracy of various parts (calories burned when exercising, BMR amount, etc, etc) but for me the sum seems to be equal to the parts. I have my spreadsheet set up for a 1.5 lb/week loss with a range of 1.25-1.75 lbs. During the last 9 weeks I have been averaging it that range. So again it's been working for me so far.
  • maryleere
    maryleere Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a 69 year old grandmother from California. When I was still working a friend and I always walked on our breaks and at lunch. When I retired I decided exercise was the first thing I would do and joined a gym and have been an active member ever since. Spin classes were my favorite but we moved three years ago and the gym here doesn't have them.
    I was intrigued about the sleep tracker as I have had sleep problems for too many years. I knew I tossed and turned a lot but was shocked to see it on the sleep graph after the first night with my Vivofit. I got my Vivofit 4-23 and am already started to notice longer periods on my sleep graph where I have no movement. That is exciting. The only thing I am doing different is more walking :flowerforyou: .
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    Hello again,

I'm interested in playing with the Groups feature on Garmin Connect.

As a part of that effort, I am asking each of you to connect with me on Garmin Connect.

Search for me by clicking on the three horizontal bars in the upper left habd corner of the GC home page. Then click connections. Then the Find People Tab. You will find me as FLYoung.

After you have connected to me, go back to the three bars, then groups, then Find Groups and look for MyVivoPal. Please join that too.

We can all be a big happy family of Garmin Guinea Pigs. If there get to be enough of us, perhaps we can hurry up the issue of Vivofit MPF integration.

Thanks. See you online.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Sent a connect request. I do not have the Group option showing though. Do I have to wait to see the Group after you have accepted my connect request?
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    Got and accepted your connect request.

The groups option should be the 9th thing on the list that drops down after you click on the three bars.

I think you can join the group without a connection to me.
  • ann121212
    Options
    Sorry about the delay but I am busy veging out on a beach for a week or so. :happy:

I have sent a friends request but I also am having problems finding groups on the new garmin connect (I found it on the old garmin connect site).

If it is an open group (as opposed to 'invitation only') you can just click join and be in, the same when you wish to leave.
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    Good for you!

About the group thing. numsquat reported a similar problem. Shows right up for me on GC Modern. 6th Choice on the list generated by clicking on the three bars.

So far, you are the only one who has made it into the group.

I haven't spent a lot of time on it but it is not immediately obvious to me how to use GCM to communication with your Connections. As group members, you and I can see and comment on each other's activities but that is the only form of communication that seems to be currently supported on the site.

Do you know something I do not?
  • ann121212
    Options
    I did read in a blurb somewhere that the communication in groups is for exercise and fitness communication, not for the unending twitter of daily living. But I believe some social communication would be useful in building a strong group.
  • Lillemi82
    Lillemi82 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem, I do not see "groups" in my GarminConnect...
    @fyoung1111, I did send you a contact request though. I just got my vivofit today after using FitBit for a couple of years and I would love to join the MyVivoPal-group.

Any clue on how to find the group on Garmin Connect?
  • ann121212
    Options
    I could not find it on the new garmin connect either - but I did locate it on the old one, http://connect.garmin.com/group/search/
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Just got my VF this A.M. My Force died on me and am awaiting the refund, dug out & still wearing , my old Flex but got spoiled by the what the Force showed. Had looked into the VF when the Force recall started, but since wasn't mandatory & I was fine, that ended that. Till about 2 weeks ago :sad: At least my Bitbelt fits on the VF, last thing I need is to lose the thing.

54 here from Tucson, Az (ex NYC) and I took advantage of a 25% Memorial Holiday deal at Sports Authority, got the black set w/HRM. Mainly a walker, recently finished C25K ( but toe woes keeps me from working on running) , exercise bike & treadmill when too hot etc to go out walking.

Trying to figure out what end is up right now with the VF, dashboard & Garmin's site and adjusting to the differences between it & Fitbit.

Time to get up & move, the red line of death is growing:noway:
  • ann121212
    Options
    Welcome airangel - damn I just read about your red line and checked my own, yeah, its showing again. Looks like I have to put my browsing on hold and move a bit.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask - we were all new once and remember the confusion of trying to work out the different areas.
  • ellenkh73
    ellenkh73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Vivofitters!

My name is Ellen and I have had my Garmin Vivofit for about a week now. I'm finding it to be fun and motivating, especially in conjunction with the heart rate monitor for work-outs. I had not yet figured out yet that there are issues with the reported calorie expenditures for activities, so I am glad to be aware of this. Really hope that Garmin will integrate with other apps/platforms, such as MFP and others.
  • ellenkh73
    ellenkh73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like others, I can only search for groups on the old website, but not the "modern" version. When I click on the 3 bars in the upper left hand corner, my choices from top to bottom are "activities, badges, challenges, connections, devices, reports, sleep, steps and weight". There is no "groups" choice. Also, when I click on "connections", there is no groups choice there either. I have now joined 2 groups using the old website, including MyVivoPal, but nothing about these groups is visible on my "modern" dashboard.

Hopefully, Garmin is working to make the groups function 1) more readily accessible and 2) viewable on the dashboard.
  • ann121212
    Options
    Welcome Ellen - glad you found us. Hopefully garmin and mfp will get together sooner rather than later. But it will give you time to become familiar with your vivofit first :smile:
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    Hi Ellen, Garmin told me last week that the long list on'y appears on GC Modern if you have other Garmin fitness devices such as a Forerunner or Edge. When I asked why Groups had been excluded from the Vivofit only list, I was told that there was a reason and that it would reveal itself in the next week or two. They are not usually so cryptic with me. I guess we will just have to wait. Maybe it has something to do with MFP integration which is the only other thing they have been cryptic about.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Lets hope it is to do with MFP integration!!