Nauseas after four weeks on Metformin

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
I've been taking Met (1000mg 1 x daily) for a few weeks now and was fine. I've heard that the symptoms are usually in the first week, but I hadn't experienced any symptoms. Now four weeks in, I feel light-headed and nauseas.

Has anyone else had this experience, or have suggestions in getting through it?

Thanks, Felicia

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    You're right that usually people have symptoms soon after starting Metformin, and those symptoms usually go away after a week or two. This is a good question to ask your doctor and get her input. Perhaps you've changed your eating habits and exercise, and you're losing weight and that's playing a role in how you're feeling. Are you testing your blood sugar levels, and have you noticed any changes? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    You're right that usually people have symptoms soon after starting Metformin, and those symptoms usually go away after a week or two. This is a good question to ask your doctor and get her input. Perhaps you've changed your eating habits and exercise, and you're losing weight and that's playing a role in how you're feeling. Are you testing your blood sugar levels, and have you noticed any changes? ~Lynn /Glucerna

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I test fasting and mid-day and I am significantly lower. I went from 260 fasting, and now I'm at 130. I also lowered the carbs to about 70g carbs per day. Perhaps that is why? I have a doctors appointment next week and will bring it up.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience. I felt fine for my first three weeks and now I go through long periods of time where I can't eat or I will experience severe (very severe, like that I feel I might have to go to the hospital) stomach/intestinal pain followed by very frequent and intense bowel movements. I've had little/no appetite lately. For example, from the time I woke this morning (7:30 am) until 4:30 pm I had a cup of coffee with creamer and a light Greek yogurt. I have an appointment in two weeks and I'm going to ask. I hope this all evens out!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When I started it took a couple weeks then I started getting stomach cramping ans nausea after my meals when I took my metformin it lasted a few months then went away .
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing on Metformin. After a few weeks I started to have terrible gastrointestinal issues. This is a Common side effect of Metformin. What usually helps is to switch to Metformin XR. It's time-released and sooo much kinder on the stomach. Ask your doctor to switch you to the extended release version.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will have a conversation with my doctor about this. It seems when I eat a little higher carbs, the nausea goes away, but then my readings are obviously higher. It sounds like this could potentially last a while, but hopefully, I'll have some relief soon.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I suggest mentioning the extended release Metformin to your doctor. Made a world of difference for me.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I suggest mentioning the extended release Metformin to your doctor. Made a world of difference for me.

I sure will, thanks a bunch!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    So, is there a generic extended release?