Trouble losing with BodyMedia Fit

Options
akdetweiler
akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
I see from the last post that there are many others who have had issues with inaccuracies with the Bodymedia Fit and I think I might be one of them....I started MFP about 65 days ago and did well at the start, lost 7 lbs, well, over the last few weeks my weight loss has totally stalled. I started using the BMF at the end of March, so I wonder if there is any correlation, or if I have just hit a plateau. According to BMF, I have a daily deficit of at least 750 calories, which should be giving me a 1.5 per week weight loss, and its definitely not, and never has since I started wearing it.

I guess my questions are, for those of you that have adjusted your height to give a more accurate reading, has that worked? How much do you adjust for?

Or if I adjust for a percentage, how do I figure that out?

Overall confused as to why Im not losing, as I eat clean and a very active, I've considered the fact that I may not eat enough calories, but according to BMF I am fine :ohwell:

Any advice from anyone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago someone posted a topic about calibrating BMF so that it is more in line with your BMR. After reading that topic, I figured out what BMF was using as my BMR and it was very high in comparison to what I calculated using Scooby's site. So, I began to shrink myself on my BMF profile. My BMF is still higher than my calculated BMR, but I'm working on getting it more in line with my calculated BMR. I have just been lowering it an inch or so at a time. I'm currently 4'6" on BMF (I'm actually 5'3"). Hopefully someone else can chime in.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do you have the Core or the Link? I think the Link is still okay but the Core is messed up due to a change in the algorithm in early March. It overestimates about 500 cals/day in my case.
  • akdetweiler
    Options
    I have the Link. Now that I have been looking at the numbers more carefully, it appears to be mostly overestimating my normal activity and BMR. When I do a workout, it seems to be spot on compared to HRM readings I have gotten in the past and other fitness calculators. Sooo, I have now unlinked BMF from MFP, and am only using BMF for workouts and am entering everything into MFP manually, as it was intended. I no longer have confusion as to what my calories burned vs. intake and my panic level has decreased :) feel like I am back on track a bit. I WANT to love the BMF and use it as it is intended, but I have now lost a month of progress and feel like I need to re-evaluate its effectiveness :/
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Frankly I rarely ever lost with a 750 calorie defecit... the BMF is not 100% accurate, nor is logging food. If you eat anything with a nutrition label the calories noted are allowed a variance of up to 20%. That being said if something states it is 250 calories, it could actually be 300. If you're portion size is a bit larger than what is noted then the calories could be even more. It you have multiple foods like this it can add up to hundreds of extra calories that haven't been accounted for. Most people under calculate by 100-300 calories. So if you have a 500-750 cal defecit from activity from BMF calculations, and the BMF is a tad off (which it is not 100% accurate as stated) and then the calorie defecit for the day is really only 150-300, then you likely won't be losing weight, or it will be very slow progress. AND add that we all can have a weight variance of up to 2lbs on any given day over the course of the day, well it could appear your actually gaining.

Not sure why everyone is freaking out, so to speak, about the calculations and trying to lower their height. Why not just increase your calorie defecit and find at what point you do lose? Knowing none of the calculations (food or the BMF) are 100% this process will never be perfect. I've been using the BMF Link for almost a year. I really believe it's the best thing to use and is fairly accurate. I had times were I stalled, for months... I started getting in more activity but would gain/lose the same 4-5lbs. Then over the holidays I stopped logging and didn't get back to it. Finally in February I got into a consistent fitness program, and weeks later found I "diet" I liked and now I'm consistently losing.

And a month in the whole scheme of things is no big deal... yes, ideally we all like to make consistent progress but sometimes that just doesn't happen.The key is to keep moving forward, being consistent, know it can take weeks to see results, take a "break" if needed and re-evaluate what is/isn't working, treat yourself with respect, have some fun, and don't take it too seriously.

Best of luck!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    And clearly I don't know how to spell deficit.... *sigh*
  • akdetweiler
    Options
    JRadd14 All points very well taken. Since I have adjusted some things with my diet and starting burning more daily, i definitely feel like I am in a "losing" mode again, I do think I was at a maintaining level for a while. I am quite happy using my BMF still but am relying on it now more for a reference as opposed to the whole program. I am in this for the long haul with 20 more pounds to go, so I am going to just enjoy feeling energetic, strong and healthy!! Thanks :smile:
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago someone posted a topic about calibrating BMF so that it is more in line with your BMR. After reading that topic, I figured out what BMF was using as my BMR and it was very high in comparison to what I calculated using Scooby's site. So, I began to shrink myself on my BMF profile. My BMF is still higher than my calculated BMR, but I'm working on getting it more in line with my calculated BMR. I have just been lowering it an inch or so at a time. I'm currently 4'6" on BMF (I'm actually 5'3"). Hopefully someone else can chime in.

ahhh what is this you speak of?? must find this
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thread is titled "Calibrating your BMF." Hope that helps.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Frankly I rarely ever lost with a 750 calorie defecit... the BMF is not 100% accurate, nor is logging food. If you eat anything with a nutrition label the calories noted are allowed a variance of up to 20%. That being said if something states it is 250 calories, it could actually be 300. If you're portion size is a bit larger than what is noted then the calories could be even more. It you have multiple foods like this it can add up to hundreds of extra calories that haven't been accounted for. Most people under calculate by 100-300 calories. So if you have a 500-750 cal defecit from activity from BMF calculations, and the BMF is a tad off (which it is not 100% accurate as stated) and then the calorie defecit for the day is really only 150-300, then you likely won't be losing weight, or it will be very slow progress. AND add that we all can have a weight variance of up to 2lbs on any given day over the course of the day, well it could appear your actually gaining.

Not sure why everyone is freaking out, so to speak, about the calculations and trying to lower their height. Why not just increase your calorie defecit and find at what point you do lose? Knowing none of the calculations (food or the BMF) are 100% this process will never be perfect. I've been using the BMF Link for almost a year. I really believe it's the best thing to use and is fairly accurate. I had times were I stalled, for months... I started getting in more activity but would gain/lose the same 4-5lbs. Then over the holidays I stopped logging and didn't get back to it. Finally in February I got into a consistent fitness program, and weeks later found I "diet" I liked and now I'm consistently losing.

And a month in the whole scheme of things is no big deal... yes, ideally we all like to make consistent progress but sometimes that just doesn't happen.The key is to keep moving forward, being consistent, know it can take weeks to see results, take a "break" if needed and re-evaluate what is/isn't working, treat yourself with respect, have some fun, and don't take it too seriously.

Best of luck!

THIS THIS AND ALL OF THIS!!!
  • akdetweiler
    Options

Thank you!! I was going to ASK!!!
  • akdetweiler
    Options

Thank you!! I was going to ASK!!!

Whoops! didnt mean to capitalize ASK
  • akdetweiler
    Options
    UPDATE: Since calibrating my BMF last week using the suggestions in this thread:

(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234999-calibrating-your-bmf?hl=calibrating+your+bmf#posts-19334962)

I am back to losing weight again and also wearing my armband all day. Although I am still keeping MFP and BMF seperate. I bumped my height down two inches to better align BMF's resting burn with my calculated BMR, and voila.

Thank you to the person who recommended this thread!