Gaining weight

Options
I'm frustrated. I've done paleo before. Lost weight and maintained the loss. Felt great. Life and bad choices and an injury got in my way. Hello weight and then some! I've gone back to paleo recently. I'm eating better. Some clothes are loser and others are tighter. And I've gained a few more pounds. I know I'm not exercising like I should. Lack of time and energy. Poor excuses, but I'm working 10 hour days and usually 10 in a row. When I get three or four off, I have to drive 13 hours round trip to check on family/kids (had to take a job where I could and no one wants to be uprooted so I'm making the sacrifice of traveling). Any suggestions? Farm raised free range eggs. Grass fed meats. Organically grown local produce. Rendering my own bacon fat. Using coconut or other nut oils. I'm eating different veggies that I never have before. Avacados. Golden beet greens. Brussel sprouts. Spinach. Different lettuces. Etc. Etc. Etc. No white potatoes, just organic sweet. I really don't think it's muscle weight. I'm annoyed. Any thoughts, suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh, and I have all the books and have read them all. Numerous cookbooks as well. :/

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your intake at all? While it can be harder to do so, it is still possible to overeat on Paleo. Also, try nixing the sweet potatoes for a while. If you're not exercising (much), you don't need the extra carb load from them. If you're eating more than a serving or so of nuts a day, that might be hindering you, as well, between the Omega-6s and their calorie-dense nature.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love dairy so. Much. But I think it can cause a stall. I would cut out nuts dried fruit and dairy count calories and see what happens. Also you could be gaining from cortisol being out of wack from not enough sleep/ stress/ and a big work load. Its so hard for us ladies to loose weight. You van do it!
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dairy stalls me as well. Also, I didn't eat sweet potatoes until I was at goal, and very minimal nuts. Bacon and avocados almost every day though!! Mmmmm
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Dairy stalls me as well. Also, I didn't eat sweet potatoes until I was at goal, and very minimal nuts. Bacon and avocados almost every day though!! Mmmmm

^This. Even some healthy foods may need to be limited for fat loss or specific health issues. Mine are dairy, nuts, fruit, nightshades, and starchy vegetables. I had been allowing too much dairy and fruits and as a result now weigh more than before Christmas.
  • mommymilkies
    Options
    A few things could be an issue:

1. Not enough sleep-it REALLY makes a difference
    2. Not enough calories
    3. Not enough exercise

Even eating well will not help too much if you are too sedentary. I would start changing simple things-walking to work (if possible) or taking the stairs instead of elevator. From there, see what you can fit into those little spaces. You don't need a lot of time-just 15 minutes a day. Do 4x 1/4 mile sprints. That might take 10 minutes. Then stretch or lift weights/kettlebell for a few minutes. When you see family, go hike together or go on a bike ride. See where you can fit in any activity.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A few things could be an issue:

1. Not enough sleep-it REALLY makes a difference
    2. Not enough calories
    3. Not enough exercise

Even eating well will not help too much if you are too sedentary. I would start changing simple things-walking to work (if possible) or taking the stairs instead of elevator. From there, see what you can fit into those little spaces. You don't need a lot of time-just 15 minutes a day. Do 4x 1/4 mile sprints. That might take 10 minutes. Then stretch or lift weights/kettlebell for a few minutes. When you see family, go hike together or go on a bike ride. See where you can fit in any activity.

Movement is absolutely important; I don't disagree with that at all. However, I disagree that eating well does not help much on it's own. Eating well can change EVERYTHING and can make one suddenly WANT to do more. When one is sick and obese movement can be difficult. A Paleo lifestyle can take off the pounds and make one feel better which makes movement that much easier in a short time. Food is the biggie, then the rest falls into place with just a little effort.
  • molly2977
    molly2977 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a fair amount of stress. That, paired with not sleeping well could very well be the culprit. The research on sleep and stress are astounding. Is there anything you can change to help you manage those? If those aren't managed, weight loss just won't happen.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a fair amount of stress. That, paired with not sleeping well could very well be the culprit. The research on sleep and stress are astounding. Is there anything you can change to help you manage those? If those aren't managed, weight loss just won't happen.

Totally agree. Sounds like you have a lot of stress and little sleep. I think working on those things plus making sure you are eating enough is vital.