Working out with over 100 lbs to lose

Options
I am almost 300 lbs, have been on a low carb/keto diet for a month and a half. I have read conflicting information regarding exercise, but I was wondering if it would help speed up my weightloss if I added in some walking to my daily activities? Later on, I want to lift weights, as well. Should I wait until I get a bit smaller to start the walking? I just want to lose the weight as efficiently as possible. Thanks, in advance.

Replies

• Crawfie16
    Crawfie16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walking would definitely help. Just start of with as many minutes as you can manage, and then increase as you feel able. Walking is an excellent exercise, so on you go and enjoy. ????
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Walking will definitely help. You can keep the exercise light in order to stay clear of injury until you get smaller. If you're worried about joint injuries, try finding a local pool where you can swim or do water calisthenics. Walking is fine as long as you have good shoes. Wait until you've lost more weight to go running or anything. Walking is wonderful exercise and will help you burn more calories, which in turn will increase your calorie deficit, therefore speeding along your weight loss :P. Just make sure you monitor your body and know how you feel.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    no reason why you can't walk :) just do what you can - at least it is something

When I started I did short walks, and eventually they grew longer

just do what is comfortable for you, every step helps :) good luck
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    No harm in walking, just increase it slowly and build up the mileage gradually.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I am almost 300 lbs, have been on a low carb/keto diet for a month and a half.
    Welcome! I hope it's working well for you :flowerforyou:
    I have read conflicting information regarding exercise,
    If you are healthy enough for exercise, it is always beneficial - period.
    but I was wondering if it would help speed up my weightloss if I added in some walking to my daily activities?
    Walking doesn't burn a great deal of calories - humans are just too bio-mechanically efficient at it - but it does help with overall caloric expenditure.
    Later on, I want to lift weights, as well.
    Strength/Resistance training is awesome. Not only do you get stronger, but it improves bone-density, lean mass, insulin-sensitivity and more.
    Should I wait until I get a bit smaller to start the walking? I just want to lose the weight as efficiently as possible. Thanks, in advance.
    If you are healthy enough to walk now, and don't experience pain/discomfort - than sure, start walking. If you do it at a brisk pace or uphill it will improve your cardiovascular fitness as-well as burning some additional calories.

And if you're healthy enough for lifting some weights - there's no reason to wait - especially if you want to lose as efficiently as possible.

Take care!
  • hottieunderconstruction
    Options
    Thank you all, so much. I actually used to be into bodybuilding years ago, believe it , or not. I just really, REALLY miss it. After coming off of a break-up from my bf of 6 years this past week, I feel more motivated than ever to be back to my "old self." I know I can't do a lot of walking, at this point, but I'm willing to start at 5 minutes a day, if I have to.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of an indoor recumbent bike, just to get started w/ something? It's low to non impact, and you can multi-task while doing it...watch tv, listen to an audio book, chat on the phone, etc.

I have one that I loaned to a friend but recently got it back, so look forward to incorporating more movement in my daily routine as well. I like to do short, high intensity pedals (commercial breaks during my fav tv shows work well), rather than setting a certain time limit or mileage.

Just a thought...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...I know I can't do a lot of walking, at this point, but I'm willing to start at 5 minutes a day, if I have to.
    That's the attitude that helped me lose my weight ! When I started exercise, it was a rather paltry 2 minutes per day ... and I'm *not* exaggerating. 2 minutes a day was all I was initially capable of (due to spinal issues / pain). It got progressively better.

It wasn't a lot, nope. But after a while it started to increase. I'm glad I started when I did - even with such a small amount, because it helped me get where I wanted to faster overall. :glasses:
    Have you thought of an indoor recumbent bike, just to get started w/ something? It's low to non impact, and you can multi-task while doing it...watch tv, listen to an audio book, chat on the phone, etc.
    ^^ This is an excellent idea. I started with an indoor spin bike (the recumbent position wasn't as comfortable for me) and parked it right in front of my TV :)
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am about 340lb and have no problem working out - both strength training and cardio. I walk a bit and use the bike and x trainer at the gym. I would listen to your body and if it starts to hurt try something else.
  • hottieunderconstruction
    Options
    I have a recumbant bike, as well. I'll definitely pull that sucker out of storage! Thanks, everybody!