Ironman vs Rev3 series opinions

Options
3dogsrunning
3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
So I am in the dreaming phase right now. I had planned to do a Challenge race, half distance this year however, plans changed (not complaining :happy: ). I have done a lot of researching and know that it might not be possible, I'm ok with that and plan to be realistic about my goals, however, I am still tentatively planning on doing a HIM distance next year.

I am looking at a 70.3 distance race in the later part of 2015, August or September. I prefer to be able to drive to the race which means somewhere in the North East, like New England area or even Ontario or Quebec,
Timberman would probably be the closest Ironman series race and it looks interesting. The drawback seems to be accomodations.
I also noticed the Rev3 Old Orchard Beach. We've been there before, loved the area, it's driveable, lots of options for accomodations. I'm not familiar with the company. I've been to watch Ironman race and while they are expensive, they do put on a good show from what I have seen and heard.
I've read a bunch of reviews on the Rev3OOB with nothing negative noted, but I'm curious as to how they compare as a whole.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions on any of these?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've had friends and athletes do both Timberman in New Hampshire and Pumpkinman in Maine and they've been very complimentary of both
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When is your due date? I had my first last August (two time Ironman pre baby). I just want to caution you not to make too many plans, you never know how it is going to be post baby until you are there. I had big plans to do a half IM this year, even breifly considered signing up for an ironman, then it got downgraded to going for the a series award by completing 4 sprints, now it is looking more like one late season sprint to finish. And I'm at home with my baby! Life isn't even close to what I thought it would be, but I wouldn't trade it for a minute.

(first off, he only napped on me until 5 months when we did sleep training, it then took 2 months for naps to get ironed out. Now he is napping well, but we have our house listed for sale, so there is always something that needs to be done during nap time.)

My best advise is to be flexible with your plans at this point, don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen next year. It will happen!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    When is your due date? I had my first last August (two time Ironman pre baby). I just want to caution you not to make too many plans, you never know how it is going to be post baby until you are there. I had big plans to do a half IM this year, even breifly considered signing up for an ironman, then it got downgraded to going for the a series award by completing 4 sprints, now it is looking more like one late season sprint to finish. And I'm at home with my baby! Life isn't even close to what I thought it would be, but I wouldn't trade it for a minute.

(first off, he only napped on me until 5 months when we did sleep training, it then took 2 months for naps to get ironed out. Now he is napping well, but we have our house listed for sale, so there is always something that needs to be done during nap time.)

My best advise is to be flexible with your plans at this point, don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen next year. It will happen!

I'm due in July which is why I picked later next year. Yeah, I've done a ton of reading with some really great info on possible set backs that I might face. I had no idea. I do plan on being flexible and realistic, but I still like to have a "maybe" race if things go well. I get a little lost without goals, but have learned with this pregnancy that sometimes they have to be modified. I'm ok with that too.

Thanks as well Scott!

ETA -
    I should also add that I am very fortunate in the support area. My husband works shift work, which means long hours on work days, but more days off. Plus my family is really awesome for support as well.
  • lj3jones
    Options

I'm due in July which is why I picked later next year. Yeah, I've done a ton of reading with some really great info on possible set backs that I might face. I had no idea. I do plan on being flexible and realistic, but I still like to have a "maybe" race if things go well. I get a little lost without goals, but have learned with this pregnancy that sometimes they have to be modified. I'm ok with that too.

Thanks as well Scott!

ETA -
    I should also add that I am very fortunate in the support area. My husband works shift work, which means long hours on work days, but more days off. Plus my family is really awesome for support as well.

I think I would recommend going with a non IM brand race so that you can sign up later if things are going well. On BT I am co-leading a mentoring group for new parents, and the other leader is having a much easier go with training and will be doing a half IM next month just after her LO turns 1.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Thanks as well Scott!

ETA -

I think I would recommend going with a non IM brand race so that you can sign up later if things are going well. On BT I am co-leading a mentoring group for new parents, and the other leader is having a much easier go with training and will be doing a half IM next month just after her LO turns 1.

I logged onto BT years ago but haven't been back. Is the group an open thing?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just another options, and maybe you didn't mention it for a reason, but what about a non "series" race? One of the best races in my area is a locally run/organized race that routinely gets great turnouts and even better reviews. They can sometimes be harder to find because they don't have the big time marketing, but you can usually find out about the better races just by asking around.

Local races are often times MUCH cheaper, too.
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did Rev 3 in Maine and loved it (I think 2 years ago). Some areas of road on the bike were patchy, but local was great. Run included beautiful wood and path sections and pretty flat. Great local support. I would always race Rev 3 over IM unless I was trying to qualify for something. I just feel like they value their consumers more, you can sign up later, transfer if injured, pre race contests/games, cool awards.....so many reasons and ways that they are trying to earn the age grouper support. And did I forget to mention the 2 giant lobsters, boiled corn, potatoes, and boiled eggs etc that the athletes were served after the race....granted I think this was an up charge, but so worth it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Jackson - there are very few local races, most are sprint and olympic. is only one "local" race that is HIM distance ( and that is within 5 hours) but it is too early for my timeframe. I will check into others that may be in travelling distance. I do like to support local if possible.

Supersized - thanks for the info! I'd have to pass on the lobster, I'd be disowned by my in-laws for eating Maine lobster (they are lobster fisherman :laugh: )

ETA - and I won't be qualifying for anything.
  • lj3jones
    Options

Thanks as well Scott!

ETA -

I logged onto BT years ago but haven't been back. Is the group an open thing?

It sure is :) there is another girl in the group who is currently pregnant. The group is called "Daffodil (me) and Juniper Jen's New Parent Group".
  • lj3jones
    Options
    Okay, so I lied, looks like BT started the spring/summer mentor groups now, so our group has been added to the archives. I'm not sure if we are going to continue it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Halves are really hard to put on as a non-chain race without a huge local athlete base to pull from. Houston has one local tri and we have a TON of triathletes in the area.

http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/