Do fitbits really help?

Options
Thinking of getting a fitbit, and I have a few questions. Now I heard it tracks calories, can I average the number that I burn daily to get a more accurate TDEE? If I do cardio one day do I eat back those calories? I'm assuming it would be better than a calculator for telling you how much you burn, but has anyone had more success once they started using a fitbit or something similar?

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Force and love it (they have actually recalled this model because some people were reporting skin irritation, but I believe the Flex does pretty much the same thing..) Mine measures Calories burned, steps, miles, active time. and flights climbed. I like it because it is worn on the wrist.

I also have a BodyMedia Fit, but don't wear it during the summer months because it has to be worn on the upper arm, and that gets irritating when you want to wear tank tops...

So, yes, you can track that daily burn and go off of an average over time (mine actually sends me a summary report once a week..) This is definitely going to be more accurate than any calculator as it is measuring your actual activity...

As far as whether or not you eat back your exercise calories, that sort of depends on what method you are using. The easiest thing to do is just to get your average TDEE over time and eat based on that number: either at TDEE to maintain, or at a slight (15%) deficit for weight loss...
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you ever worn both the Fitbit and your BodyMedia at the same time and compared their estimations? I would love to know if they are the same or different?
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and love it, but it is worth noting that it's not great at measuring some activities and you can "tamper" with it - try scrubbing cooking pots for half an hour!
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have both fitbit and bodymedia..I rely on my bodymedia more..I feel like the fitbit is just a fancy pedometer...it made me move more..but nothing in regards to weight loss etc..i had the fitbit first..then bought the bodymedia and realized I was burning more then what my fitbit was telling me..then again why should it..fitbit is just recording your steps..and its based off that..
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    I had my BodyMedia for about a year prior to purchasing my FitBit Force. I did wear them both when I first got the FitBit, just to compare the two. Of course, neither of them register much of anything for the strength training, but I found them to be quite comparable as far as daily calories burned and steps.

I experimented a bit with the FitBit when I first got it, and found that the readings were very elevated when I wore it on my dominant wrist, but quite similar to the BMF when worn on my left wrist (which is obviously where I wear it now...)

I do think that the BMF may be more accurate overall, but I just don't like wearing it during the hot summer months... If you are doing things where you are moving your hands a lot, the FitBit can tend to give false high readings, but I found that is reduced by having it on my non-dominant wrist.

I use mine primarily as motivation to make sure I get my 10,000 steps in each day and just use that TDEE average over time to base my calorie intake. When I used the on-line calculators, I was always questioning the accuracy of my daily burns, but these devices have helped me keep better tabs on that, and I can adjust my intake accordingly...
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a FItbit one. I use my hands too much on a daily basis to wear something around my wrist.

Mostly it motivates me to move, but as far as tracking my TDEE most of my exercise is weightlifting so my numbers don't add up to my weightloss. I weigh and track pretty diligently. When I don't exercise, or just do running/elliptical my numbers are almost spot on. And my deficit is usually reflected on the scale.

It's different for everybody. But if you're looking for motivation to take more steps. It's SUPER accurate. I will run in place and count my steps in my head and my fitbit will be pretty exact with my head count.
  • Peppermint_Patty614
    Options
    I use my fitbit to keep me moving. I try to average about 14 k a day. On average the fitbit says my TDEE is about 2500. I seen on the boards where people say that the regular walking won't really help with the calorie burn, that your body will get used to it. Of the 14k steps only about 3500 are from "exercise".

Thoughts?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to keep me moving. I try to average about 14 k a day. On average the fitbit says my TDEE is about 2500. I seen on the boards where people say that the regular walking won't really help with the calorie burn, that your body will get used to it. Of the 14k steps only about 3500 are from "exercise".

Thoughts?

Your body can become more fit, and the walking doesn't take as much effort with high HR and breathing, because you are providing more with each heartbeat and breath.

But if you weigh the same, it burns the same number of calories.

Most people have been walking since a kid, there is little to no improvement in efficiency to start burning less.

Now, it will stop being a workout for the heart.
    Just like lifting weights, eventually a certain weight on the bar is easy, and if you don't increase it, it will be maintenance lifting, no more improvement. Muscle isn't getting any stronger from that workout.

Same with heart, since it is a muscle. If walking 4 mph gave a decent HR at the start because of out of shape of say 50% of HRmax, but you got lighter and more fit, and now it only does 30% of HRmax, you aren't even at maintenance for the heart anymore, but below.

In essence you've taken weight off the bar. And eventually, just like lifting, the muscles will match the load. Lifting you would lose strength, walking you would lose fitness at lighter weight doing the same pace.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have a FItbit one. I use my hands too much on a daily basis to wear something around my wrist.

Mostly it motivates me to move, but as far as tracking my TDEE most of my exercise is weightlifting so my numbers don't add up to my weightloss. I weigh and track pretty diligently. When I don't exercise, or just do running/elliptical my numbers are almost spot on. And my deficit is usually reflected on the scale.

It's different for everybody. But if you're looking for motivation to take more steps. It's SUPER accurate. I will run in place and count my steps in my head and my fitbit will be pretty exact with my head count.

To add to that accuracy potential, I was surprised on accuracy for a test I had someone do that I was helping.

Their new routine was running in place for 5 min every hour during the day - and wondered same thing - is Fitbit accurate for that.
    I thought for sure it would be thrown off because no actual strides. I thought impact might be different, or more lifting of leg compared to normal running causing more burn.

But HRM was available, so took HR during that running in place.
    Then got on a treadmill and found the pace and incline to match that HR.
    The distance the Fitbit said was almost exactly the same, shocked.
    Then used the formulas for running for calorie burn which are more accurate than HRM.
    Since Fitbit got the distance right, new the time, new the weight, and uses similar formula - it's calorie burn was right on too, within 3%.

Now elliptical, not seen anyone test that, but since impact, or lack of it, is very different, and I've heard many report the steps are very incorrect, I'm really doubting that one.
  • sweetxsour35
    sweetxsour35 Posts: 177
    Options
    Now elliptical, not seen anyone test that, but since impact, or lack of it, is very different, and I've heard many report the steps are very incorrect, I'm really doubting that one.

I haven't tried the fitbit on the elliptical yet, but I have danced a little with it, taking steps while staying in place, and it did give me steps for that. If it doesn't show up, I can just add it on the fitbit app.
    Actually since I'm home from college now, I'm more sedentary than I'd like to be, I burn anywhere from 1900 to 2100 calories. I'm in the middle of a reset now so I'm eating the amount that I burn.
  • CoachXthea
    CoachXthea Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay I've been reading all the blogs and forums from Eatmore2weightless; Myfitnesspal; and Fitbit but can't get a direct answer. Should I set my goals when I go back into a deficit to my fitbit TDEE; my fitbit TDEE less 15%; or my BMR then let fitbit adjust MFP. Also, should I enter stregth training based on my polar watch or not? Thanks in advance.
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    Okay I've been reading all the blogs and forums from Eatmore2weightless; Myfitnesspal; and Fitbit but can't get a direct answer. Should I set my goals when I go back into a deficit to my fitbit TDEE; my fitbit TDEE less 15%; or my BMR then let fitbit adjust MFP. Also, should I enter stregth training based on my polar watch or not? Thanks in advance.

I would take your FitBit average over time and work off of that number. Take your average TDEE, then subtract that 15% cut and set your MFP goal to that. Then if you strength train, you can just add extra calories on those specific days. I just use my FitBit to get general averages (I average a month at a time), so as not to get too obsessive over each and every calorie eaten and burned...
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Is it okay just to go off your daily burn instead of averaging it out?
  • heybales
    Options
    Is it okay just to go off your daily burn instead of averaging it out?

Sure, MFP method. Might as well benefit from the sync and auto-adjusting that will go on.

Just depends on what will give you more success reaching your goal, not undereating since skipping positive adjustments could be too easy.

Single number daily allows better planning, which is always better for success.

But if you can plan decently enough, and get post workout snacks or bigger meals in, then success too.

The secret is using a reasonable deficit, whether that be 15% or 250 calories.

Set your MFP Diet/Fitness Profile to honest activity level (if big adjustments on non-exercise day, sedentary wasn't correct then) so you can at least plan somewhat.
    Find what 15% is of your avg Fitbit TDEE.
    Take the weekly weight loss goal that is close to it, even rounding up is fine, say 385 is 15%, take 500 or 1 lb weekly.

Log workouts and reach your goal.
    This has now raised the actual TDEE on this day, and if you rounded in example above from 385 to 500 cal deficit, which might have been 17% deficit with no exercise, has now become 13% deficit with exercise.
    If you round down, with exercise you'll probably get 10-15% deficit.
  • gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit, and just allow it to work out my daily calories, and manually add weight lifting etc. I'm losing so it seems to be quite successful
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Today is my first full day wearing my Fitbit. Previously I've used the Shealth app on my phone, but mostly when talking walks.

I mowed the lawn today. I have 2 sections and after I mowed the first half before I moved the mower to the back yard, I decided to do a test between Shealth pedometer and Fitbit. Of course I have no clue how accurate this test was.

I mowed for exactly a half hour just because that was how long the area took. This is a push mower BTW.

Shealth registered 1185 steps and Fitbit registered 3000. Obviously my hands were moving more than my feet while mowing because I often pull the mower back towards me when I'm mowing under trees etc. Still, I think that's a pretty big discrepancy.

I am keeping my exercise times (including stuff like mowing) separated and logged on MFP now that Fitbit is linked. I am certainly not going to eat back all those somewhat iffy calories.

I bought a Fitbit mostly in an attempt to determine my TDEE. I know it will take a while to get an average. I'm not sure how to deal with things like mowing, but I think I'll probably subtract 2/3 of whatever Fitbit tells me on days like this. I have a lot of manual chores to do around my place in the next couple weeks so I expect there will be lots of adjustments to finding my true/average TDEE.
  • heybales
    Options
    Today is my first full day wearing my Fitbit. Previously I've used the Shealth app on my phone, but mostly when talking walks.

I mowed the lawn today. I have 2 sections and after I mowed the first half before I moved the mower to the back yard, I decided to do a test between Shealth pedometer and Fitbit. Of course I have no clue how accurate this test was.

I mowed for exactly a half hour just because that was how long the area took. This is a push mower BTW.

Shealth registered 1185 steps and Fitbit registered 3000. Obviously my hands were moving more than my feet while mowing because I often pull the mower back towards me when I'm mowing under trees etc. Still, I think that's a pretty big discrepancy.

I am keeping my exercise times (including stuff like mowing) separated and logged on MFP now that Fitbit is linked. I am certainly not going to eat back all those somewhat iffy calories.

I bought a Fitbit mostly in an attempt to determine my TDEE. I know it will take a while to get an average. I'm not sure how to deal with things like mowing, but I think I'll probably subtract 2/3 of whatever Fitbit tells me on days like this. I have a lot of manual chores to do around my place in the next couple weeks so I expect there will be lots of adjustments to finding my true/average TDEE.

Actually, it's more likely 2/3 more.

Because Fitbit is basing step based activities on very accurate formulas for mass and pace and time.

But your mass was increased pushing a mower, by decent amount, for forward muscle movement, and arm engagement that usually isn't there, plus tightening of core to transfer that energy from legs to arms to mower.
    You burned much more than reported.

I mean, if desire is to have accurate as possible TDEE, and then take a reasonable deficit off of that, then realize that some things are higher.
    In this case your TDEE is higher, and ignoring that creates an much bigger deficit. True, only one day, so not bad. But just realize the way it works actually underestimated your burn.

When I used a HRM because I was curious on mowing the lawn. The avgHR equaled walking level carrying a 20 lb backpack.

Think I burn more carrying extra 20 lbs? You bet.

And if Fitbit is linked and synced, whatever you are putting on MFP is going over to Fitbit anyway.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I stand corrected. It was a definite workout with the mower and you are likely right that the number of steps I took that registered on Shealth did not "show" how strenuous the effort was. I will be mindful of the complete effort when considering Fitbit's results from now on.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    So I'm starting a 250 calorie cut right now, and on my fitbit app under food plan, it now says I have to eat 1945 calories instead of the 1750 it told me this morning before I did cardio. Is it adjusting because of my activity? My MFP calorie limit is set to 1800 and the fitbit adjustment gave me 109 extra, 1909 in total.
  • heybales
    Options
    So I'm starting a 250 calorie cut right now, and on my fitbit app under food plan, it now says I have to eat 1945 calories instead of the 1750 it told me this morning before I did cardio. Is it adjusting because of my activity? My MFP calorie limit is set to 1800 and the fitbit adjustment gave me 109 extra, 1909 in total.

Yes it's adjusting because of increased activity compared to initial estimated activity.

That's the beauty, eating reasonable to level of activity - which increased for you.

So if you are going to sync them, you have to do it very correctly.

Did you set the 1800, or you let MFP after you selected 1/2 lb weekly?

Let MFP set to whatever is correct for 1/2 lb weekly. Knowing the increased activity will always cause the net figure to be higher.

Just meet your goal.