Restaurants

Options
Ugh! Went to a restaurant tonight. Tried my best. Avoided the bread, did not eat free app, ordered lightest things on menu and did not eat half the meal in order to bring home the leftovers for lunch. In other words, really felt proud for trying hard and being good. But oh my goodness those calories added up! How's that possible?! Please don't post about "putting dressing on the side", etc. etc. Believe me that I did that, and ordered intelligently....... now what do I do when going on a 4 day conference next week with lots of restaurants ahead of me??!

Replies

• newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're staying at a hotel see if they have a gym or try to get some extra exercise in either before or after. That might help balance your calorie intake. They will probably have every muffin,brownie, etc available. Look for veggie or fruit trays first. Good luck.
  • k92648
    k92648 Posts: 6
    Options
    I wonder if going with a vegetarian option, which most menus have, would be better...probably not too satisfying, and maybe with hidden calories. I hear what you're saying about calories adding up, especially on restaurant food. It almost has to be pretty stripped down to even remotely come within a healthy range. Sounds like you did great tho!
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    CanadianCountryGirl1973 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good idea about the gym, thanks! I'm walking 2-5kms a day and we live in the country. We're going to Quebec City and it's very hilly and beautiful, so it should be great for walking around there too!
  • titiantop
    titiantop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on navigating well the restaurant meal tonight!

When I travel, I usually pack portable protein--e.g., walnuts or almonds (portioned in ziploc snack bags); natural peanut butter; laughing cow wedges--and dried apple slices. I find that conference breakfasts and snacks are heavy on the carbs and sugar, and the protein helps balance that out...or helps avoid them altogether.

I'll bet you can find at least one other person at the conference who is also choosing food carefully; perhaps you can share an entree--save calories and $$!

If the conference is at a hotel or being catered, you can almost certainly request specially prepared meals. I ran a retreat a few months ago, and we accommodated gluten-free, dairy-free, shellfish-free, tree nut-free, organic, and don't even *say* strawberry, let alone have them in the building.

Safe and fun travels!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have a working kitchen in my apartment yet, I just moved yesterday. I'm dreading that I'll be trying to pickover fast food options, food carts, and restaurants in my new downtown area for a few days...

My best bet is probably the vegan restaurant down the street, but there's no guarantee I can afford to eat there until my kitchen is running. I have been eating pretty awful these past two days, but with a gym down the street and more walking/hiking/biking for regular commute, I'm hoping to afford the calories by upping exercise.

This is pretty terrible for me and I hope I can return to more reliable eating habits soon.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    CanadianCountryGirl1973 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @titianto: Yes indeedy on the snacks! I buy my food and immediately put the serving sizes in little tupperware including my "treats" of 4 Twizzlers licorice, as well as 21 M&Ms (which is a 10 g serving and 50 fun calories). Then when I'm tired in the evenings/mornings and packing my lunch it's so much easier to just grab the baggies and the containers.

@PennyVon: Got a fridge? If not, maybe invest in a cooler with an ice pack. Premade salads from the grocery store? I know they seem expensive, but actually cheaper than restaurants!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    @titianto: Yes indeedy on the snacks! I buy my food and immediately put the serving sizes in little tupperware including my "treats" of 4 Twizzlers licorice, as well as 21 M&Ms (which is a 10 g serving and 50 fun calories). Then when I'm tired in the evenings/mornings and packing my lunch it's so much easier to just grab the baggies and the containers.

@PennyVon: Got a fridge? If not, maybe invest in a cooler with an ice pack. Premade salads from the grocery store? I know they seem expensive, but actually cheaper than restaurants!

I have got barely any money until next week. I spent everything to live here.