Hello!

Options
BeccyGee
BeccyGee Posts: 13 Member
Just saying hello, and thanks to 'screwmenopause' for starting the discussion and the group. Let's do it!

Replies

• screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    this will be fun! awesome!
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    hi...and thanks for the group!

Just turned 50 and I'm working twice as hard to just maintain weight. I have found that exercising helps with menopausal symptoms so I try to get in some every day. To lose weight though I have to go hard core with the exercise and really control my diet...good carbs only..hi fiber and protein.

I refuse to give up my wine though..I just make sure it fits in with my calories for the day.
  • Sunny75771
    Sunny75771 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, thanks to the moderator for starting up this group! I think it is just what I needed...women facing the same challenges as me!
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Hi Gals! glad to see the smiling faces!
    My story....54, married, two teenage daughters (oh the hormones are flying in our house!), dog, cat, and my problem child...menopause ;)
    Have workout for years...weights, running, pilates, yoga, even did a tri a few years ago. However, have been a bit lazy the past year or so and not nearly as committed to working out. I have, but a bit inconsistently. Boy did my body take revenge! Two years and 20 pounds later (and a tire for my middle), I have finally decided enough is enough. I do not want to carry this tire into next year! The hardest thing for me is 'sticking to my plan'. I get waylaid by excuses. I realize it's an 80/20 rule. 80% percent of getting fit comes from what I put in my mouth and the other 20% is obtained from exercise. Though I have never been "into" counting calories...it's now time. MFP is my new best friend!
    Here's to being lean and fit in our coming years!
  • JAP1999
    JAP1999 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, Ladies!
    So nice to meet y'all. (yes, I am from the South!)
    My story: .....52, married, 6 kids, (Blended family. Think Brady Bunch minus Alice!), recent empty-nester, 2 dogs (my babies!). Chronic on again, off again exerciser. Recently ON AGAIN (running and weight training); hopefully to stay this time.

I just joined MFP on Monday because I am frustrated with hitting the menopausal brick wall with my weight loss. I knew I had to try something different so here I am!

I have never been into counting calories, have never kept a food log before and have never been on a forum like this before, but like I said, time for something new.

@SoCalWoman, I, too, refuse to give up my wine. I have made major adjustments to my eating habits lately, but they will have to pry my wine glass from my cold, dead hand! :wink:

I look forward to sharing here!
    Jan
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Thank you for starting this group and getting the discussions of the evilness off to a good start. Looking forward to the good tips and some laughs. We do have to laugh at this journey or else I would be crying non stop. I hate this emotional roller coaster...I want off. LOL
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    I love that I am in the company of wine drinkers. With everything else we have to give up it's not fair to have to give up wine too! Just returned from a brisk 60 minute walk. Going to save the wine for tomorrow (TGIF!).
    Have a wonderful evening sisters!
    Jill

Jan - love your pooch in the photo!
  • BeccyGee
    BeccyGee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello again. A bit more about me... I live in Bristol, England. I'm an empty-nester with a 21 year-old-son that lives nearby, I was a single mum for most of his upbringing. I have a boyfriend that I see at weekends, when we eat too well and have lots of 'treats', over the five years we've been together the weight has piled on. He's moving in soon (eek! scarey!) so hoping maybe we can eat sensibly together??
    I kick-started my weight loss about 7 weeks ago, doing the Clean 9 Forever Living Aloe Vera programme (aloe gel, various herbal tablets, shakes, v low cal meals for 9 days). It was great, I lost 10 pounds, and someone on their facebook group recommended MFP. I've never been a calorie counter before but this feels like it could really work this time - my total weight loss so far is 16lbs, would like to double if not triple that. I've been using these '10 minute workout' DVDs - i think they're really good, each DVD has 5 x 10minute aerobic sessions on them, so you can do one, two, some or all of them each day. As someone who hadn't done any serious exercise for a very long time, the first week I was doing 20mins per day and finding it really hard. Now I'm usually doing 50minutes per day, as well as walking to work some days (50 minutes) and feeling good. I've just bought 4 more to add a bit of variety - lots are dance-based but there are tons of options - you'll find them on amazon if you're interested. I've also been trying to drink lots and lots of water and have been experimenting with recipes for 'detox water' - tastes better than it sounds and not as boring as plain water all the time.
    Good luck with it all x

Now I'm off to have a go on the new DVD... :happy:
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ... I have found that exercising helps with menopausal symptoms so I try to get in some every day. .....I refuse to give up my wine though..I just make sure it fits in with my calories for the day.

Ditto for me! A little exercise, a little wine.... a lot of water.... I am determined to meet my goal even if it is next year! Looking forward to chatting.... :flowerforyou:
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. My story: 56, divorced, and now living with SO, three grown daughters, four grandkids. Went thru menopause in late 40's. No major issues, but glad it is over. Have always exercised, watched my diet, drank plenty of water, etc. For some reason, I have not been as diligent as I used to be. We travel a lot, and SO likes to eat out a lot also. Finally got back into the gym after 4 years absence. Trying to get back into the weight lifting again. Any who, I now weigh almost as much as I did when I was pregnant for the first time! Yikes! Now, granted, I was pretty small when I was 26, but still. My hope is to drop 15 before I turn 57 in November. Should be possible, right? Right? Exercising is not my issue. How much I eat seems to be the issue. I read, don't go too low on your calories, but I just can't seem to get any where. Gone are the days when I could lose 5 pounds in a week!

OK, so no more whining. Would love your help and encouragement to get this thing done!

Oh, and any eating plan must include wine. :-)
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that if you want to keep the group cohesive that we have one thread/topic...one place for now. That we all find a home :) it may be about many topics...but if we have one place to have a center that helps.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    ditto ditto! when I don't exercise for awhile I can see it in my energy level - slow and crabby. a great sweaty run, long walk or even lifting really LIFTS my spirits!
  • jennygillott
    jennygillott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just read the original thread and thought you all sounded like my kind of people -- otherwise I'm not really one for groups and discussions on MFP. Who's got the time?!

I'm not quite menopausal yet, British, living in Morocco, via Norway (long story). Been on MFP since January and losing weight very, VERY slowly. Finding it hard to change the habits of a lifetime. But hey, what's the rush? I've gradually gained a kilo or two a year for the last ten years or so and am terrified of what will happen when menopause does hit, so hoping to learn from you ladies. Forewarned is forearmed, right?
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    welcome jenny! where you've lived sound so exotic compared to Michigan (where I am from) lol.
    glad to have you chatting with us!
    Jill
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 51 and a mom of two daughters that are semi living at home and i live in Sweden. been traveling a lot and also lived 6 years in Kansas and 6 years is Saudi Arabia
    Im in the middle of my menopause and have a few issues that are not to hard to deal with. the worst is the hot flashes i get some nights.
    Since about 4 years i been serious about changing my life style with a goal of having normal weight and doing regular exercise. Several times over these 4 years i been trying to get the exercise to move from 0 min/week and partly succeeded and then something got me of track and i was back at 0. Due to a shoulder injury and that happening at the same time as one of my daughters needed support i moved from home to live where she studies. That made me decide to work on me as i would have lots of time for that. I joined a yoga place and did yoga every day for a full month and only 2 weeks in my shoulder was a lot better. i also started walking brisk and now walk about 6 miles a day do some biking and my yoga and i can feel how that helps all my small issues with growing older. Atm my knee has forced me to slow down and to my happiness i have discovered i have become one of those that don't want to sit still i actually want to go get my daily dose of exercise.
    The weight is also going fine a lot thx to MFP its groups and friends and yesterday i for the first time in 25 years have a normal BMI.
    I eat lowish carb and high protein and that works fine. i too like wine especially red even though i for now don't have it that often.

seems like a nice group have been looking for one to be in only for social reasons.
  • WorkingonmeAliG
    WorkingonmeAliG Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I am 51 and 9 weeks out of hysterectomy surgery. They left 1 ovary but things are changing fast!
    I am a personal trainer and body worker. I have 5 kids, 9 grand kids and have been married 32 years.

There is nothing like being with lots of people who are focused on finding answers. I am really looking forward to learning and, hopefully, contributing.
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks you for starting the group, I loved the original thread & this is my first group.
    I am 49 & not yet menopausal, but know it must be on the horizon... I have been struggling for the last five years just to maintain my weight & am very concerned about menopause as I have some dear friends that are really feeling it. I have always exercised, very active - currently doing outdoor boot camps, walking & biking... I am "mindful" about what I eat and am back to tracking everything (which feels kind of obsessive). My ticker has remained at zero for I don't know how long! Can't wait to get back down to my starting point, sigh... For me the eating is key & I know there is room for improvement. Feel free to friend me, I am a good cheerleader & would love some support. Lets take action!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi girlies!

I am a 49 year old empty nester with a 24 year old son. I have 2 kitty boys, Jack & Felix. I work full time in the corporate / charter aviation industry.

I am a very faithful food logger. I try and get in a minimum of two 5 mile walks a week and see a personal trainer for private sessions twice a week. This is the first time in my life I have had real and true weight loss success ( currently down 7 jean sizes) and I am just doing one day at a time as healthy as possible.

I will continue to give this new lifestyle my all every single day for the rest of my life, and I know together we can all accomplish amazing things!

TGIF - Thank God I'm Female!! :-)
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. My story: 56, divorced, and now living with SO, three grown daughters, four grandkids. Went thru menopause in late 40's. No major issues, but glad it is over. Have always exercised, watched my diet, drank plenty of water, etc. For some reason, I have not been as diligent as I used to be. We travel a lot, and SO likes to eat out a lot also. Finally got back into the gym after 4 years absence. Trying to get back into the weight lifting again. Any who, I now weigh almost as much as I did when I was pregnant for the first time! Yikes! Now, granted, I was pretty small when I was 26, but still. My hope is to drop 15 before I turn 57 in November. Should be possible, right? Right? Exercising is not my issue. How much I eat seems to be the issue. I read, don't go too low on your calories, but I just can't seem to get any where. Gone are the days when I could lose 5 pounds in a week!

OK, so no more whining. Would love your help and encouragement to get this thing done!

Oh, and any eating plan must include wine. :-)

I think doable! it's only been a couple days for me and I feel lighter. I have stuck to my 1200 cals/day, exercised and am not eating my "extra" allowed calories for exercising. you'll have a wonderful November birthday!/quote]
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    My suggestion is that if you want to keep the group cohesive that we have one thread/topic...one place for now. That we all find a home :) it may be about many topics...but if we have one place to have a center that helps.