VSG - You can eat anything?

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
HI,

I've been reading some posts. Question for the VSG folks. I currently have the band, am considering revision to VSG due to lack of weight lost and swallowing problems. So I read some say "I can eat anything I want". What does that incorporate?

Can you eat lettuce? A full salad with tomatoes, cucumbers etc?
Are you eating raw veggies?
Fruit? With skins?

I ask because these aren't band friendly, for me anyway. I find my choices are so limited and if I'm out with no other options for food, I opt to go hungry instead of risking a sliming episode.

Do you get the slimes from VSG?

I have a lot of questions.
Thanks!
Karen

Replies

• sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I had my VSG in February. I guess I'd say I can eat anything as long as it's wet enough and/or chewed well enough. I had beef for the first time last night (chuck roast) and it was great. I chewed it really well and made sure it was very moist with broth. I can eat rice but only in very tiny amounts. I've heard a lot of people say they have problems with rice. I've eaten lettuce and raw veggies. I haven't tried fruit with skin yet and probably won't for a while. Peeled fruit is no problem.

If by slimes, you mean a lot of burping and gurgling, sometimes followed by a lot of saliva (even my nose runs) and then vomiting...then yes, that's happened a few times but that's when I ate too fast or didn't chew well enough . It's a hard lesson but I'm learning it.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sue. VSG sounds so similar to the band. If I eat too fast, take too big of a bite or the texture of the food is too harsh, I get a sliming, which is excessive saliva that I have to spit out and usually ends up with me regurgitating some pieces of food.

I hesitate to revise because I fear I will end up in the same boat. I just wish I could eat fruit and veggies without being afraid. The only red meat I can eat is hamburger (carefully) or filet mignon!! Everything else is too dry or chewy.

Thanks again for the information. Just trying to get a good understanding.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve almost 3 years ago and yes, I can eat almost anything. There a very few things my sleeved tummy will not tolerate. I can no longer drink my coffee black. I have to have at least a little cream or my stomach aches. And I can no longer eat really spicy things, same reaction. And yes, I can eat fruits w/skin, raw veggies, lettuce (love salads!), and all meats. Yes ground meats and meats with some broth or sauce for moistness are still best for me, settle better if you will. But for the most part, I can eat anything.

I will still get the "slimies" as you refer to them if I eat really fast or overfill my stomach. The sleeve takes away the stretchy part of your stomach, so there is no expansion when you eat. Once the stomach is full, if you continue to eat, that food is really stuck in the esophogus. So even one bite too many will cause me to get really flemy, my nose runs and I will lose that extra bite. I won't lose the whole meal, just the "too much". The sleeve means you will have a very small tummy for the rest of your life, which I really like! It's permanent portion control. Don't misunderstand, you can still out eat this surgery and regain. You can with any of the WLSs.

But back to your question, yes, you can eventually eat what you want, so making this journey successful is all about learning to make good choices about what you eat, maintaining portion control (yes I still weigh and measure my food) and deciding that you don't need _____ anymore. (Fill in the blank with the food that triggers you binge or bad eating.) For me it's ice cream. I haven't had ice cream since about a month before my surgery and I don't plan on ever having it again. It's not necessary to my life, I don't know that I can control myself with it now since I never could before, and frankly, getting and keeping the weight off is just much more important to me than having ice cream in my life. So again, choices.

I hope this answers your questions. If not feel free to message me. I love my sleeve and can honestly say that this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm 7 months out and I can eat anything. Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bread, corn, fruit skins, raw veggies. Rice is okay as long as I'm super small with the portions. Slimys\foamies, yep, but only if I eat too fast or over eat. They are pretty rare the better I learn how to manage the sleeve.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes. I just had a small salad for lunch with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, ground lean beef with taco seasoning, hot sauce, and a few crushed tortilla chips on top.

I haven't had had any food issues.

As far as the "foamies" or "slimies" this is true for any WLS (RNY, VSG, the Lap Band, and so on) if you eat too fast or too much. Really, that is the point. To eat less and to eat slower, which is why they stressed in my classes the importance of eating small bites slowly.

Sorry you are stuck with the band. I know a lot of folks who've had revisions to VSG after horrible complications/difficulties. Obesity Help has a Lap Band Revision section of their forums. Not to direct you to somewhere else, but since you are looking for people who've had a revision this would be a good place to find a lot of WLS people who have.

Good luck!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Those with RNY can eat all of those foods too! The only thing that I'm not allowed to eat/drink is carbonated beverages, even though I enjoy a beer every once in awhile.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    7 months out;

Can you eat lettuce? - YES
    A full salad with tomatoes, cucumbers etc? - YES
    Are you eating raw veggies? - YES
    Fruit? With skins? - YES

That said - you must CHEW EVERYTHING very well. The VSG reduces capacity so bulky items don't fit well and can cause an unpleasant feeling. Envision an 8 oz coffee cup. Can you fit in more cheese as cubes or shredded?

As for salads; sometimes when we go out I will take a few bites of a small one but I do not want to reduce my ability to eat protein and vegitables. Lettuce and cucumbers are filler that do not provide protein.
  • craddock29
    craddock29 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is good information to know. I love salads and fruit and meat. SO after surgery I hope that I have no issues as well. I have my Sleeve surgery Tuesday May 13, 2014. I am so happy to be starting my journey. Thanks for all the good information over the last month. :flowerforyou:
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything, but I have found that I can't tolerate rice or pasta since surgery. I'm 10 months out, so I guess this is how it's going to be. I'm actually glad because rice was a big trigger food for me.
    I love salads and have no problem eating them :)
    i got the slimies/hiccups/vomiting early on if I ate too quickly or too much. I haven't had an episode in a few months. It's really unpleasant but doesn't last long.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    15 months out for me, and yes, I can eat anything! VSG is forced portion control! I can still enjoy the occasional chicken wing (note I said wing, not wings!) but your smaller tummy will not tolerate overeating. There are certain foods (damn those carby foods) that slide down a little TOO easily... we have to always be vigilent about what we put in our mouths!

I know several people who have had the revision and are thrilled with their decision! Let problems, better results. If your doc thinks you're a good candiddate, go for it!
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything!!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is good information to know. I love salads and fruit and meat. SO after surgery I hope that I have no issues as well. I have my Sleeve surgery Tuesday May 13, 2014. I am so happy to be starting my journey. Thanks for all the good information over the last month. :flowerforyou:

What I do recommend that I haven't seen anybody say yet. After surgery when you are allowed to start eating pureed or soft foods. Start with one new thing at a time. Only ever try one new at a time from that point on! Say you eat two new things, and one causes some kind of discomfort or reaction. How are you going to know which one did it? You won't want to try either one, possibly causing you issues later on.

Each person will have a different experience with food after surgery. For example, my wife and I both had the RNY. I can't eat shrimp anymore. Causes me to be very uncomfortable for a few hours. She can eat all the shrimp she wants. On the flip side, I can eat dairy all I want. She is now lactose intolerant. So again, try one food at a time, and eat it a few times before moving onto something else. A bad reaction one time, might be a fluke you could toss up to improper chewing or eating too much. Having it happen more than once tells you that your new stomach doesn't like the food and to avoid it in the future.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I agree each person is different. I have the lettuce/ leafy green problem but there are other things that you can make a salad out of. My tolerances are weird but I live with them and it doesnt outweigh the AWESOME :bigsmile: and I would do it all over again.

I am lactose intolerance now (but there are sooo many alternatives that its never a problem), cant handle leafy greens, but I do eat tomato/ cucumber (makes a great salad just those two diced up or you can add some diced onion and peppers), I cant eat too much cabbage raw or its a problem, cooked mushroom (that one is really weird), beef if its not ground up, and I apple peels - which isnt a problem since Im not a huge apple fan so i eat apple sauce or berries (I :heart: blueberries now). Sometimes bread makes me feel icky but thats because I dont eat it often so I'm more effected by the startchiness of it or something like that lol.

I stick to what works for me and Im fine.
  • horrorsprite
    Options
    I'm out just past 2 months and I am JUST NOW starting on solids. It'll be a little different for everyone. Fresh fruits and veg are a little weird for me just yet, so I'm cooking and steaming everything everything everything. I haven't tried rice or pasta, mainly because my doctor is sooo particular about breads and starches. they just stretch the pouch and I spent too much money on this to sabotage myself like that. Not to mention that the idea of a blockage terrifies me in ways I cant describe. Most meats are mostly fine as long as they are moist enough and taken in small bites.
    My veg intake is pretty limited to cooked stuff, and I haven't attempted a salad yet. I had a puking fit after a small spinach omelet, so I've avoided leafy greens since. I'd love to though, I'm craving pickles.
    More than anything, I'm having troubles with dairy. Cheeses and yogurts sit very very heavy with me. I don't get much kickback from them anymore, but I feel really bad when I eat cheese.
    I also completely lost my taste for fruits and most sweets. I was never big on fruits, but I used to love peaches. I can't stand them now, and really anything sweet tastes gross to me now, especially artificial sweeteners. My only two sweet treats are cranberry juice and orange sherbet. Everything else is weird and yucky now. lol

As far as the foamies go. It's inevitable. I couldn't have cold stuff for a few weeks because it would start up and I'd choke on all the foam spit and throw up bigstyle. For me the colder it was, the worse I would foam.

The whole process sort of comes down to trial by error. You can only follow the instructions verbatim for so long before you HAVE to try something out. Then you have to hope it doesn't hurt. lmao