General Resources for Mom and/or for Baby?

Options
BrainOnAStick
BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
Some of you mentioned that you've birthed and parented before. Are there any particular books, web pages, or other resources you've found indispensable--whether it be for taking care of baby or taking care of yourself?

Right now, I'm skimming "What to Expect the First Year" and La Leche League's "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding."

I've also been listening to a podcast "The Longest Shortest Time." They describe the podcast as this:

"Hillary created The Longest Shortest Time as a bedside companion for new parents who want to hear in the middle of the night (or day—what’s the difference, really?) that they are not alone. And that as never-ending as those first months seem, they don’t last forever." I've found the podcasts informative, comforting, and funny." http://www.longestshortesttime.com/

Of course, some of the best resources for me have been the wisdom of other parents in my life.

I look forward to hearing what resources you rely upon.

Cheers,
India

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    While pregnant, I enjoyed "The Pregnancy Journal" which was a day-by-day account of what's happening in terms of development as well as to mom.

Once I had her, I pretty much pitched all the books and followed my instincts. I rely on friends with kids, my mom, and common sense. I found most of the books to be more cautious/concerned than I am. The books read (to me) like "the rash is probably nothing but could be the beginning of the end" and they stressed me out.

I would say aside from friends, the absolute best resource is a MD that you're on the same page with. I take my daughter to a general practitioner (whose wife is a pediatrician) and he tells me what he's "supposed to say" then "what he actually did with his two kids". It's a great relationship with a lot of respect on both ends.

Congrats & good luck!!
  • wnglng
    wnglng Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also found www.kellymom.com helpful for practical breastfeeding information.

Online forums such as this and other websites (whattoexpect.com) were also a great source of practical information.

I think I'll go check out that podcast. Thanks for the tip.
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say kellymom.com for breastfeeding - I didn't have a whole lot of people I could have talked to about it that had experience with it so it helped me a lot.

For pregnancy I enjoyed Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. And I like the little week by week articles on babycenter.com. I'm also taking natural childbirth classes now which I wish I'd done with my first.

And I also liked What To Expect the First Year.
  • ChrystalF
    ChrystalF Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and was given a book called Babies Best Chance by the hospital when we left, every Province has their own version, not sure if they have something similar in the US, but we used this book pretty much every day for the first month or so. You can download it at this link:
    https://www.healthyfamiliesbc.ca/about-us/additional-resources#BBC
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favorite resources were, and still are...

The book "So That's What They're For!" - book on breastfeeding
    I read "The Mayo Clinic Guide to A Healthy Pregnancy"

Online resources:
    https://www.facebook.com/Wemakemilk (Breast Is Best FB page)
    http://www.csftl.com/ (Car Seats for the Littles - they also have a FB page that is super helpful)
    http://thecarseatlady.com/ (The Car Seat Lady - again, she also has a FB page that is amazing)
    http://kellymom.com/ (LOVE, love, love this website!! - also has a FB page)

I also used (and still use) the What To Expect website and iPhone app. Especially my "month" - April 2013 which is when I was due with my son. It's great to have other moms with babies the same age to ask questions, share stories, etc.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've found after the baby is born, pitch the books on how to raise your little one. Your baby will be on his/her own schedule and do things when he/she wants to. The books are some parents idea of what their little one did and trying to tell you how they did it (pretty much all of them). I have a cousin who was going by the books on her little one and it was causing so much stress on her life and she was posting about it every day on facebook that I told her exactly that, pitch the books and go on instincts. You pediatrician will tell you if they are worried about a milestone not hit (or should) and what your next course of action is. Your instincts tell you when something is wrong and when to see the pediatrician. I haven't tried the breastfeeding books but I may read one with this one as I have had issues in the past with my milk coming in. That's my advice. Just have fun with your little one learning what with them and watching them grow and learn. It's a really fascinating time and they really do grow too quickly.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    While pregnant, I enjoyed "The Pregnancy Journal" which was a day-by-day account of what's happening in terms of development as well as to mom.

Once I had her, I pretty much pitched all the books and followed my instincts. I rely on friends with kids, my mom, and common sense. I found most of the books to be more cautious/concerned than I am. The books read (to me) like "the rash is probably nothing but could be the beginning of the end" and they stressed me out.

I would say aside from friends, the absolute best resource is a MD that you're on the same page with. I take my daughter to a general practitioner (whose wife is a pediatrician) and he tells me what he's "supposed to say" then "what he actually did with his two kids". It's a great relationship with a lot of respect on both ends.

Congrats & good luck!!

Mom of two here, and I agree with all of this^! It helps to be related to a couple of pediatricians (so I can call/e-mail random questions without feeling like a doof or like a crazy mom), but even still I love our local pediatrician. He'll give me the "well, I would normally recommend X, but as a parent I know it's not feasible, so I recommend Y."

Your instincts are going to be dead-on most if the time, so trust them more than a book :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love the leaky b@@b blog and facebook page for bfing
    Fearless Formula Feeder is a great resource for anyone who uses formula, bottles, whether it's practical information or dealing with emotions.

Car seat web sites are a great resource, the ones winklkr mentioned are the ones I follow on facebook.

Spinningbabies for pregnant moms...you know, if you want the easiest possible labor! Proper baby position made a huge difference for my biggest baby.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have already been told about the couple good ones I knew.

So, I just wanted to share that every pregnant woman should read the book "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy! Such a wonderful way to make light of the whole thing and she does it beautifully. Loved it!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've found after the baby is born, pitch the books on how to raise your little one. Your baby will be on his/her own schedule and do things when he/she wants to. The books are some parents idea of what their little one did and trying to tell you how they did it (pretty much all of them). I have a cousin who was going by the books on her little one and it was causing so much stress on her life and she was posting about it every day on facebook that I told her exactly that, pitch the books and go on instincts. You pediatrician will tell you if they are worried about a milestone not hit (or should) and what your next course of action is. Your instincts tell you when something is wrong and when to see the pediatrician. I haven't tried the breastfeeding books but I may read one with this one as I have had issues in the past with my milk coming in. That's my advice. Just have fun with your little one learning what with them and watching them grow and learn. It's a really fascinating time and they really do grow too quickly.

^That's what I'm saying!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    there is a theory and a counter theory for many things related to babies, and w my first one, it drove me crazy that my instincts, my books, my mom and my sister were all saying different things. I kept switching things around depending on whom I talked to last *on demand vs scheduled BFing, handling sleep time, fussy periods, etc). This time around, I am sticking with my way and I have armed myself with resources that map to that. All others stay out. So it is good to read but it is really important to make up your mind and stick to it. I only read w my first one (read a lot!) but did not firmly make up my mind. It was a mistake. Tok mee 3 months to find my way.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    there is a theory and a counter theory for many things related to babies, and w my first one, it drove me crazy that my instincts, my books, my mom and my sister were all saying different things. I kept switching things around depending on whom I talked to last *on demand vs scheduled BFing, handling sleep time, fussy periods, etc). This time around, I am sticking with my way and I have armed myself with resources that map to that. All others stay out. So it is good to read but it is really important to make up your mind and stick to it. I only read w my first one (read a lot!) but did not firmly make up my mind. It was a mistake. Tok mee 3 months to find my way.

Solid point! I am not many things, but I am definitely a critical thinker! My plan is to use my gut instincts to help me filter the information and advice I receive whether it be from books, web pages, family members, people on discussion forums, etc. :) (And I use the word "plan" very loosely when it comes to raising my first kid!) What triggered my initial question about resources is that I genuinely have NO idea of what I've gotten myself into. I'd like a few books or web pages that can act as a "go-to" when I am curious about specific topics.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have to recommend "The Secret of the Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg! I could not have survived the newborn stage without it...both times! lol She just has really solid advice on how to "read" your baby and how to get them on an easy routine. In fact, its called E.A.S.Y! lol Eat. Activity. Sleep, Your time.

Its just an all around wonderful resource, especially for first time moms. I follow a lot of attachment parenting principles, but I also believe in having a good routine, especially regarding sleep! Being able to differentiate between cries (hunger vs overstimulation/over-tiredness) was SO helpful to me. Especially her methods for getting baby to sleep and for getting them in the habit of sleep. I found it reassuring as a breastfeeding mom (that my baby was definitely getting enough milk) and I also love the descriptions of the various baby's personality types. I found it right on and helpful in understanding my baby.

I heartily recommend it! :)
  • newmama_lols
    Options
    I'm a first time mom too, and my baby is only 7 weeks old... but I have found kellymom.com and What to Expect in the First Year to be my go-to sources so far. Kellymom isn't the easiest to navigate, but believe me, everything is on there.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Ooh ooh ooh, I don't think anyone's mentioned The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy! It's written by a non-medical professional from a humorous POV. Very amusing and quick read about all the things with pregnancy, L&D, and postpartum stuff that no one tells you (e.g., those glorious mesh panties or sex during pregnancy).

Edited to add the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/141652472X?pc_redir=1401497785&robot_redir=1

Also, a warning because some of the later reviewers seem to think it's a serious pregnancy guide and/or have no sense of humor. She's a sarcastic lady, the author, and she keeps it light. It's not meant to be taken seriously.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Now I want to read that. That is how Jenny McCarthy's book is. I love funny.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Now I want to read that. That is how Jenny McCarthy's book is. I love funny.

I remember reading reviews of it a while back after recommending it to someone else (Girlfriends' Guide, not Jenny McCarthy's book), and some women are up in arms over the fact that the author was glorifying epidurals and not condemning formula-feeding. I'm not into Mommy Wars - so I'd rather read funny/sarcasm and have a good laugh, even if it doesn't glorify my own choices (though I had an epidural both times and FF my first).
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said don't rely on books too much and trust yourself. All babies are different so I use the books as a general guide or suggestions and not the definitive answer. That being said Jenny McCarthy's book was funny. I also like the Sleep Lady (sleeplady.com). She has a couple of books but she suggests a method for sleep training that is gentle and doesn't involve letting your baby cry it out. Usually when I have a question or concern I do an internet search and read other people's experiences. It is reassuring to know others are experiencing the same issues and that's there's not one right answer. Also you will probably get lots of advice from well meaning family and friends about how their "perfect babies" slept through the night at 8 weeks, never used a pacifier, were perfectly potty trained before age 2, and never act up in public. Usually I politely listen then tell them I have discussed the issue with our pediatrician and we are not concerned. :>
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Just got back from the library and they don't have that book. Sad :(
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just got back from the library and they don't have that book. Sad :(

Girlfriends' Guide? That's a shame. I'd send you mine, but the copy I read was my sister's, and when I was done with it, she sent it to our cousin :(