TDEE for body composition change?

Options
First, I want to apologize if this is a little all over the place...

Okay, so, even though my scale weight isn't what I originally thought was my "ideal" - I think I'm pretty happy with my overall size/body image right now. I've weighed the same (within 4 lbs) for 18 months regardless of eating at TDEE -15% or 20% or maintenance, etc, etc... basically I feel like I'm in a perpetual plateau. BUT! my body composition has changed quite a bit and I feel like I look a lot different than I did even just 6 months ago.

My question is - I'd like to continue to build muscle and generally continue to change my body composition, but I'm not necessarily looking to lose weight anymore. I also feel like since focusing more on lifting and metabolic conditioning I am STARVING all the time even at 2250 calories (which is supposedly TDEE -15%) -- should I just eat at maintenance for a while and see what happens? Maybe try intuitive eating?

I've gone back and forth in the past, but unfortunately those times have also almost always coincided with a bout of depression and halting exercise for weeks or months. Just for reference: I'm 5'10" and 192lbs and estimated body fat is 29%.

Any advice/encouragement would be great!

Replies

• kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? If you are starving all the time you definitely need to be eating to at least your TDEE. If you're lifting and eating enough, you will see dramatic body recomposition with patience, over time. There's a great Go Kaleo post on "Body Composition: That ‘Last Five Pounds’, and How to Deal With ‘Problem Areas’" https://gokaleo.com/2012/09/19/body-composition-that-last-five-pounds-and-how-to-deal-with-problem-areas/ that I found assuring and illuminating when I was ready to stop cutting and start eating at maintenance/TDEE and recomping.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to suggestions above on some good points.

Something else to keep in mind.

If eating at estimated TDEE you maintained, and TDEE - 15% you maintained, and TDEE - 20% you maintained, I'm going to suggest in reality your estimated TDEE was a deficit, and more than you body wanted.

Unless your logging of food was accurate at TDEE level and fell all apart at the deficit levels and you actually ate at TDEE in reality, I think that's about the only thing that would explain that.

You ate more than TDEE-20%, your metabolism went up, you maintained. You went up to estimated TDEE, you maintained. Until you actually ate more and actually gained, you likely were still at a deficit.

I'd suggest eating about 250 more than estimated TDEE daily for 2 weeks
    Should cause 1 minor pound gain slowly.
    I'm betting you gain faster or more water weight, or like other increases, no change to weight.

Would explain really hungry, you are really asking body to change and it wants a surplus which it's not getting.

I'd do counting until you get your number with the workout you plan on keeping. Then go for intuitive eating. The problem will likely be eating enough, though it sounds like hunger pangs doing a good job.
  • PrettyGirlsOnFire
    PrettyGirlsOnFire Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!

I am lifting. 3 times a week, plus doing MRT/HIIT and moderate cardio 2-3 times a week.