Does anybody watch their fat intake?

Options
I just started the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. I'm loving it so far. BUT, the fat intake is scaring me somewhat. What I want to know is what YOUR daily fat intake is per day and calories. I also would love to know your success on this lifestyle. I'm nervous for this change, but I know I need to do this. Thank you! :)

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons fat is so high is to curb appetite.Not everyone eats super high fat but usually a base line of 50% from calories is what I believe people on the lower end of fat would eat.
    I eat a very high fat and very low carb version of primal with a need to be in ketosis to control my sugar cravings.
    As an example,yesterday I ate around 140/150 grams of fat with about 16 net grams of carbs.
    I have been at the primal/paleo way of life for over 2 years now.
    I have been very successful in control my sugar cravings with this woe.
    If you have a concern about fat,have a watch of the movie fathead.It's available on netflix and very accessible online if you don't have netflix.
    There are documentary channels online that are not illegal sites.
    It's hard to wrap your head around fat but that's only because we have been brainwashed into thinking it's a bad thing when there is absolutely no proof other than fake science over the years.
    Even Dr Oz is finally seeing sense :)
    If you are looking for paleo/primal friends..feel free to add me.
    There are lots of helpful people on this board.
    Welcome!
  • Kinger138
    Kinger138 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yup, exactly what was said above. Fat isn't the enemy. Kick the grains to the curb and give the fat a go...it's tasty, and enhances the heck out of vegetables. Also, check out some of the posts on marksdailyapple.com about fat, carbs, etc and see what you think.

I admit, it took me a minute when deciding to put that first hefty tub of lard into my grocery cart...but then I just shrugged, put it next to my bacon, and moved on. :)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was a bit skeptical at first too. Its so programed into our heads to not eat the Fat, use it sparingly. No I love my fat would like to up it even more.

I am at roughly 20% carbs / 50%fa t/ 30% protein

50% of fat for me is roughly 140g normally more, my highest day was 230g

edited to add a T to no.... no eat the fat <sounds very primal
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat any where from 40-60% fat, but generally fall in the 50% range. I have been very succesful not only with weight loss, but also with my lipid profile. My total cholesterol ios great as is my HDL and LDL.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also eat about 50% from fat and have never been leaner :) Don't fear the fat, just choose where if comes from and watch your sugar intake :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I eat around 70% fat and I cheer when I go HIGHER. Like Justaspoonful of sugar I am ketogenic Primal/Paleo. I have resolved MANY health issues by eating this way. See my experience under "Success Stories".

Not everyone should eat the exact same but it is my opinion that NO ONE should eat less than 50% fat and most people with metabolic disorder benefit from a similar diet as I. You have to find the way that works best for you; don't fear the fat!

Low fat is a fail for EVERYONE.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Fat Good! Fat Energy! Fat Tasty!
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for two years and my head still gives me a hassle about the fat! I cannot stop what I've spent a lifetime programming into my brain. "Fat is bad"

I fight back tho and eat tons of fat anyway. In fact, if I put on a few pounds, I eat more fat and I get back to my goal weight.

You can overcome it! =)
  • Primal_Warrior_
    Primal_Warrior_ Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    Like others have said my fat intake is high to the social norm. But it's used for fuel and I am careful with the sources the fat comes from. MFP doesn't separate good and bad fats when you log.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My goal is 60% fat - 20% protein - 20% carb. After struggling for a year to lose the baby weight and not losing a darn pound, I ended up losing 15 pounds in 3 months going very gradually into Paleo/Primal eating. I have a little less than 10 pounds to lose now to get back to pre-pregnancy.

Of course, I think what is even more awesome than the losing weight is the general feeling of calm that I have around food now. I mean, it's not all rainbows and unicorns all the time, but the out of control cravings I used to have for FOOD FOOD FOOD all day long are pretty much gone. And I just feel so much more healthy. It's horrifying to me to think of all the gross processed toxic crap I was eating before.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM....FAT!!! I aim for 110-130 gms a day and 1800 cals a day, only when I am under 75 gms carbs a day. If I have a big carb day coming up, whether it be from a special occasion or something I am cooking for dinner that is within my 20% off paleo (traditionally prepared or WAPF), then I keep my fat lower. For me, high fat and high carb don't mix. I do better with a lower carb, higher fat diet from my experiences over the last year :)
  • LittleMissMarie87
    LittleMissMarie87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so so so much everyone. This has helped me a lot. I'm very excited to go on with this lifestyle. :)
  • claudiav002
    Options
    I also eat about 50% from fat and have never been leaner :) Don't fear the fat, just choose where if comes from and watch your sugar intake :)

couldn't agree more, watch the sugar! And embrace the fat. I aim for 55% fat but range between 50-60% of my calories.