Need help with Macros

Options
Used the IIFYM macro calculator and got

Carbs: 71.2 g/day
Protein: 157 g/day
Fat: 62.8 g/day
Fiber: 31-39 g/day

Total amounts should equal 1478 Cal / Day

I'm new to this whole Macro system and just need help understanding how to best use these numbers to benefit me on a daily basis. I can't find a good food list, meal plan or anything of the sort during my research. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
Erica

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The goal is to hit those macros (carbs, protein, fat) numbers each day with whatever food you enjoy. Based on your overall calories, you will probably need to focus on foods that are high protein to overall calories. The great thing about iifym is that there are no set meals or foods.

Just be sure to track your food intake and you'll quickly learn what foods best help you to hit your macros. If you're new to these types of nutrition plans, you may be a bit surprised at how low your carb goals are at first.
  • EricaSBoone
    Options
    Thank you.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The goal is to hit those macros (carbs, protein, fat) numbers each day with whatever food you enjoy. Based on your overall calories, you will probably need to focus on foods that are high protein to overall calories. The great thing about iifym is that there are no set meals or foods.

Just be sure to track your food intake and you'll quickly learn what foods best help you to hit your macros. If you're new to these types of nutrition plans, you may be a bit surprised at how low your carb goals are at first.

Just make sure your hitting micro nutrients too - the beauty of IIFYM is that you can eat whatever you want but keep it mind that fresh greens etc keep you satisfied longer and will help to kill the urge of over eating (like mdizzle said, the carbs is actually low and you will find this when you start 'dieting').
  • EricaSBoone
    Options
    Re-did my IIFYM calculator since January. I've since started going to the gym (weights & cardio) 7 days a week. Rotation runs 2 days weights 1 day cardio. Since changing this information in my calculator there was a huge jump in Macros but they all seem really high.

Carbs: 170
    Protein: 160
    Fat: 64
    Fiber:40
    Total calories - 1896 cal / day

I'm 27, 5'4" and weigh 160 so all this seems a little high. Did I do it wrong?
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No. Those actually look much more reasonable than your first set of numbers. Try them for a few weeks, and then depending on your goals (bulking, maintaining, cutting), adjust from there.