Exercising while on IP

Options
GuyIncognito123
GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
Normally on Stage 1 everyone is told not to exercise. Although this sounds ideal - spring is here and yard work needs to get done.

When I follow the program (okay, I eat a little more) and it puts me closer to 1000 cals per day and 30-40g of carbs.
This is fine because I still have weight loss... but, here is where I have a concern.

I was doing yard work and when I entered the exercise into MFP it said I burned 1,500 calories. Given this number is twice as high as it probably is, I could have burned 750 calories - the amount I eat for the day. In the end it says I have a 250 calorie day. I know my body cannot run on 250 calories so I eat extra - say, another 800 calories. This bumps my carbs now up to 102g (out of the range of ketosis).

So... when you burn calories (and eat to compensate) does the same happen with your carbs? Would my actual carbs for the day be lower? Would eating extra bump me out of ketosis?

Replies

• Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey. I was told to exercise 5-30 mins only per day. However, being a stay at home mom I probably do more running around then I should. I was talking to my coach about this, this morning. He recommended to keep doing what I was doing and if I needed more, try to only increase in the protein field if possible. Also you can buy Ketosis Strips at Walgreens for about $12 for 50, if you want to test it. I guess the key factor is high protein low carb and fat. The goal for me is about 116g of PROTEIN and under 50g of CARBS. Which, I found to be on the high side, from people in these forums so far.

Hope that helps.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have the strips... and I did happen to knock myself out of ketosis (beer, pizza and living the weekend life).

The one that had me concerned was the carbs. Atkins is very low carb and I didn't want to take my carbs to that level. I don't know enough if exercising burns calories and carbs, or just carbs. But I have heard that carbs is your fuel - so there must be a connection between the two.

50 grams of carbs isn't that bad. I believe ketosis can occur under 60 and too much protein can knock you out. It's such a balance. Maybe that's why they say just to follow the program and don't do anything else :)
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercise it okay. You just can't exercise to the point where you are out of breath. If you can exercise and carry on a normal conversation, you are okay. This is what my Coach tells me.
    I love the Spin bike at my gym and won't give that up! I just go at a slower pace now.
  • maryamhull
    maryamhull Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey. I was told to exercise 5-30 mins only per day. However, being a stay at home mom I probably do more running around then I should. I was talking to my coach about this, this morning. He recommended to keep doing what I was doing and if I needed more, try to only increase in the protein field if possible. Also you can buy Ketosis Strips at Walgreens for about $12 for 50, if you want to test it. I guess the key factor is high protein low carb and fat. The goal for me is about 116g of PROTEIN and under 50g of CARBS. Which, I found to be on the high side, from people in these forums so far.

Hope that helps.

I've never heard of Ketosis strips, they tell you if you're in ketosis or not?? How accurate are they?
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can buy them at Walmart or any drug store. Your reading can vary pending on if you drank a lot of water before the test or not. I don't feel like I wasted the 5 bucks I spent on them but sometimes I feel disappointed when I test and come out low or negative then a few days later in the purple. Weird. But maybe it's just me.
  • maryamhull
    maryamhull Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Shenanagins85 I found the strips at Rite Aid!
  • smileypeaches
    smileypeaches Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Per my IP coach, the strips are great but be aware that your body will start to learn to use the ketones so you may still be in ketosis even when the strips show you aren't this may happen 2-4 months in