How does protein impact weight loss on a LCHF diet

Options
jackfox68
jackfox68 Posts: 27 Member
I am trying to understand how protein impacts weight loss on a a LCHF WOE, and I would also like to know how to figure out how much protein I should be consuming.

Any good links people might be able to share, or provide some solid advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• monica10171
    monica10171 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me has tons of good info on protein requirements.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator to get my macros.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Ligenliefde
    Ligenliefde Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator to get my macros.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Also found this site very helpful
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very active you need a lot less protein than was previously thought (and what you'll find on the Internet). I've been going with 1g/kg of Lean Body Mass (LBM). So find your LBM (plenty of info out there on how to estimate that) and make sure you convert it to kilograms. Somewhere along the way someone made a "mistake" and wrote it as 1g per pound and the Internet has never recovered. ;)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I find I have to keep a close eye on my protein intake. I'm a woman (don't be fooled by my avatar). If I go over my protein grams, say more than 80 grams a day, my weight loss stalls. Gluconeogenesis at work.
    Somewhere along the way someone made a "mistake" and wrote it as 1g per pound and the Internet has never recovered. ;)

:laugh:

So true. People quote that all the time.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    My limits are 1gm/Kg at the start and I slowly bumped it up in phases to 1.5g/Kg of body weight. I had no problem building muscle or burning fat with 1g/Kg of weight, i recently bumped the protein to 1.5g/Kg because I do intense weight training for 90 min now.
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    My limits are 1gm/Kg at the start and I slowly bumped it up in phases to 1.5g/Kg of body weight. I had no problem building muscle or burning fat with 1g/Kg of weight, i recently bumped the protein to 1.5g/Kg because I do intense weight training for 90 min now.
    This sounds exactly correct - right on target for keto dieters who are active.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The only caveat I'd add to this is research does show that the OLDER we get, the more-protein we require, especially if the goal is to build muscle.

It's annoying but true, especially for those of us pushing 50. Younger folks are just more-naturally anabolic, even with less protein.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

What about for not overly active keto dieters? I walk about 45 mins 5 times a week but haven't been exercising heavily. I've found if my protein is higher than 70 g I don't lose a thing. (thats with 1400 cals a day)
  • SnowFlinga
    Options

What about for not overly active keto dieters? I walk about 45 mins 5 times a week but haven't been exercising heavily. I've found if my protein is higher than 70 g I don't lose a thing. (thats with 1400 cals a day)
    Your experience is right in line with mine. It certainly was a revelation to learn that protein can have that effect on a diet. I've been sticking with 1gm/kg of LBM and it's working. For me that's about 70-80g protein/day. That's been a tough change since I was used to sitting down to a 12 ounce steak.

I would say that your level of activity is a bit lighter than mine, but I would still start at 1g/kg of LBM and see how that works out for a week.
  • jackfox68
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Time to digest all this info and start experimenting to see what works
  • elsaketo
    elsaketo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi - I'm a keto newbie. What is WOE? Thanks!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    way of eating
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    I should add that my primary observation (from my own measurements) is that keeping protein "moderate" has significantly impacted my level of ketosis. Where previously my fasting blood ketones were in the 0.4 - 0.9 range in the morning, for the past month I have never fallen below 1.2 and I have had days as high as 3.6. I never achieved this level of ketosis UNTIL I started watching my protein intake.

Unfortunately deeper levels of ketosis do not necessarily result in higher amounts of fat loss. My experience so far is that being at least 1.0 or higher is all that it really takes to get things moving. Although you will see (and read) that anything above 0.5 is considered "in ketosis", for me I did not see much progress until I consistently got my fasting level to above 1.0.
  • elsaketo
    elsaketo Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks - I figured it was going to something that should have been obvious!
  • jackfox68
    Options
    Snow, I would have to totally agree with both observations. I was eating close to 200 grams of protein per day, sometimes less and sometimes more and my ketones were steadily dropping, into the light to almost nonexistent pink/pales colors. Now my protein has been around 100-125 per day and they are slowly starting to climb again. Hopefully the weight will start to drop again as well, as i have been in a holding pattern for about a week. One other thing i noticed was with higher protein level I seems to get the urge for something sweet again and I seemed to get hungrier more often. Maybe that part is in my head.

I should add that my primary observation (from my own measurements) is that keeping protein "moderate" has significantly impacted my level of ketosis. Where previously my fasting blood ketones were in the 0.4 - 0.9 range in the morning, for the past month I have never fallen below 1.2 and I have had days as high as 3.6. I never achieved this level of ketosis UNTIL I started watching my protein intake.

Unfortunately deeper levels of ketosis do not necessarily result in higher amounts of fat loss. My experience so far is that being at least 1.0 or higher is all that it really takes to get things moving. Although you will see (and read) that anything above 0.5 is considered "in ketosis", for me I did not see much progress until I consistently got my fasting level to above 1.0.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OK- are we saying 1gm per kg of LBM or 1gm per kg of body weight? If it's LBM that would only leave me with about 42 gm of protein per day. Clarification anyone?
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    OK- are we saying 1gm per kg of LBM or 1gm per kg of body weight? If it's LBM that would only leave me with about 42 gm of protein per day. Clarification anyone?
    1g/kg of LBM. 42gm of protein equates to only 92.6 lbs of LBM. That is quite low for LBM. Do you mind sharing the rest of your stats? How did you determine your body fat percentage?
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    Snow, I would have to totally agree with both observations. I was eating close to 200 grams of protein per day, sometimes less and sometimes more and my ketones were steadily dropping, into the light to almost nonexistent pink/pales colors. Now my protein has been around 100-125 per day and they are slowly starting to climb again. Hopefully the weight will start to drop again as well, as i have been in a holding pattern for about a week. One other thing i noticed was with higher protein level I seems to get the urge for something sweet again and I seemed to get hungrier more often. Maybe that part is in my head.
    It's not in your head. There's plenty of info available on the net regarding the insulogenic properties of proteins and there's even an Insulin Index that also shows how many of the major protein sources can be just as insulogenic as some refined carbs. If we can agree that weight management is about hormone controls we can arrive at the conclusion that over-eating protein is going to impact your "will power" by playing havoc with insulin and leptin. I can add my own anecdotal observations that I feel exactly the same way when I was over-eating protein.

Dairy is another source that must be experimented with and determined per user. I've read that some people have no problem at all with it, but now that I only have 20 lbs to go to reach my goal weight it seems that food items that previously were not problematic need more attention now. I used to pound hard and soft cheeses and found that I would become hungry again quite soon later (and they also seemed to be creating stalls in my weight loss). I still eat a 2-3 ounces of cheese each day and that seems to be fine.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    1g/kg of LBM. 42gm of protein equates to only 92.6 lbs of LBM. That is quite low for LBM. Do you mind sharing the rest of your stats? How did you determine your body fat percentage?

I'm only 5"1" weigh around 135. My BF% is somewhere between 28-30%. I have my macros set to 65-30-5 currently.