Just for discussion! Importance of micros

Options
lilliemelissa
lilliemelissa Posts: 28 Member
First off, thank you to everyone, particularly SS and Sara, for providing such good information and advice. I've been a lurker on the forums and here for a little while now, and it has helped tremendously. I've been such a fool for so long!

I won't go into a terribly boring amount of detail unless asked, for the sake of saving time.

How important are micros when doing a metabolism reset? Or, at all even? I've been ever so slowly increasing my cals (starting from under 1,000 per day to around 1600-1700 at this point, with the goal of hitting my TDEE of about 2000). I struggle with hitting the calorie goals and maintaining not only the macros, but micros as well. I know that I will probably gain some weight with this, even going exceptionally slow, but so far I've increased more than 600 cals per day over 2 months and I'm still hovering around 150 where I started.

I've also dropped my cardio significantly and added weight training, if that makes a difference.

Again, thanks for your time, and discussion welcome! :heart:

Replies

• lilliemelissa
    Options
    Thanks! That helped. I know it sounds silly, but I have a seriously hard time getting enough cals with the right macro/micro variables. I'm constantly going over one or not reaching others. I noticed my potassium is chronically low, and my sugar intake is a little higher than it should be.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I find potassium difficult sometimes too. I eat a pretty good amount of greens and probably eat a banana every other day and I'm still usually short.

This list might help a bit.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • lilliemelissa
    Options
    Thanks! Looks like more spinach is in my future; not sure how I feel about that. I eat at least 1 thing from that list about every day, guess I'll have to increase it. Does it count if you smother your acorn squash in butter and brown sugar? :blushing:
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I posted this just yesterday in thread someone else was asking about potassium:
    You are probably getting more than you think. Potassium labeling is not required ( in the US). When I started tracking I was concerned too. I don't worry about it too much but do eat a lot of broccoli and drink V8. Sweet potatoes are great too.
    Here's a good list:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/potassium-sources-and-benefits?page=2
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How are you assessing your micronutrient needs and targets, or are you strictly concerned with specific ones?

What issues are you facing with hitting your macros and are you using some sort of a discretionary calorie system?